PDA

View Full Version : Reigning in Teen Drivers... your thoughts?

Casa
10-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Programmable key will rein in teen drivers

Tom Krisher Associated press

Oct 06, 2008

DETROIT–So you think junior is a little too lead-footed when he drives the family car? Starting next year, Ford Motor Co. will give you the power to do something about it.

The company will roll out a new feature on many 2010 models that can limit teen drivers to 80 m.p.h. (128 km/h), using a computer chip in the key.

Parents also have the option of programming the teen's key to limit the audio system's volume, and to sound continuous alerts if the driver doesn't wear a seat belt.

"Our message to parents is, hey, we are providing you some conditions to give your new drivers that may allow you to feel a little more comfortable in giving them the car more often," said Jim Buczkowski, Ford's director of electronic and electrical systems engineering.

The feature, called "MyKey," will be standard on an unspecified number of Ford models when the 2010 cars and trucks come out late next summer. The feature will spread to the entire Ford, Lincoln and Mercury lineup as models are updated, spokesman Wes Sherwood said.

Ford arrived at the 80 m.p.h limit even though freeway speed limits are lower in most states because it wanted to leave a margin in case an unusual situation arises, Buczkowski said. In some states, freeway speed limits are above 70 m.p.h., Sherwood said.

"Just lopping it off at exactly 70 m.p.h. was felt to be too limiting," Buczkowski said.

The company already uses computer chips in its keys to prevent thefts. The car won't start unless it recognizes the chip in the key.

"It's making use of existing technology, and through the magic of software, we're able to build features on top of the features we already have," Buczkowski said.

In addition to speed limits, MyKey also will limit the volume of the audio system, and it will sound a six-second chime every minute if seat belts are not fastened. The chime sounds for adult drivers, too, but ends after five minutes to avoid annoying adults who adamantly don't want to wear seat belts, Buczkowski said.

Parents also have the option of having the car sound a chime if the teen exceeds 45, 55 or 65 m.p.h.

Ford said its market research shows 75 per cent of parents like the speed and audio limits, but as you might expect, 67 per cent of teens don't like them.

Danisha Williams, a 16-year-old senior at Southfield-Lathrup High School in suburban Detroit, said she's against the idea.

"I wouldn't want my parents to have that much control over how I'm driving," she said. "If your parents are holding your hand, you're never going to learn.''

Brittany Hawthorne, 17, another Southfield-Lathrup senior, said there may be emergency situations where she'd have to drive more than 80, possibly to accelerate to avoid a crash.

Ford's research shows that parents would be more likely to let teens use their vehicles with the system, Sherwood said, and if it gets them the car more often, the number of teens objecting drops by nearly half.

A top official from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a research group funded by the auto insurance industry that is pushing to raise the minimum driving age to 17 or 18, found the key intriguing. IIHS says car crashes are the leading cause of death among teenagers.

"Research we've done has shown that speeding is a major factor in teen crashes, especially novice teen drivers," said Anne McCartt, the institute's senior vice president for research. "So I think a system that tries to correct the speeding behavior has the potential to improve safety.''

More than 5,000 U.S. teens die each year in car crashes. The rate of crashes, fatal and nonfatal, per mile driven for 16-year-old drivers is almost 10 times the rate for drivers ages 30 to 59, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

http://www.wheels.ca/reviews/article/405598

i am for this system to be honest.

Supa Dexta
10-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Except kids are more tech savvy then their parents.

JRSC00LUDE
10-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Won't stop kids from seeing who can get to 80mph first.... :rolleyes:

Kloubek
10-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Ok... so the idea is to ensure that inexperienced younger drivers do not hit certain "maximums" in the car. (Speed, volume, etc). Obviously, this is for safety reasons.

What if a young person driving decides he wants to beat the train that is coming. It would normally be a close call, but the teen would normally get through. This time, however, just as he gets close to the track, the engine cuts out as it has hit the limit.

SMACK.

This is, of course, an extreme scenario. I would expect limiting speed would save lives as opposed to take them. But it just seems to me that keeping the car from doing what the driver would EXPECT it to do seems a little dangerous in itself.... no?

rmk
10-06-2008, 06:50 PM
^ One less teen driver on the road? :dunno:

cloud7
10-06-2008, 06:57 PM
the article quoted that over 5000 US teens die each year, but didn't say how many of those died while going over 80 mph. You can kill yourself in a car pretty easily well before you reach 80 mph if you are doing stupid things.

tkirby
10-06-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm too much of a pussy to drive like a dick.

403Gemini
10-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Ok... so the idea is to ensure that inexperienced younger drivers do not hit certain "maximums" in the car. (Speed, volume, etc). Obviously, this is for safety reasons.

What if a young person driving decides he wants to beat the train that is coming. It would normally be a close call, but the teen would normally get through. This time, however, just as he gets close to the track, the engine cuts out as it has hit the limit.

SMACK.

This is, of course, an extreme scenario. I would expect limiting speed would save lives as opposed to take them. But it just seems to me that keeping the car from doing what the driver would EXPECT it to do seems a little dangerous in itself.... no?

Thats a bit far fetched.... put fast and the furious away Toretto, nobody is racing any trains ;)

adam c
10-06-2008, 07:02 PM
i'll support it

i don't know how many times i see kids in their parents cars trying to do stupid shit

Abeo
10-06-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm for it. The only time I did over 120 when I was a kid was when I was doing something stupid (I grew up in the country, and did alot of stupid things in cars), and the typical family car doesn't have the best high speed handling either. I don't trust the average driver above 120, let alone teenagers... at least this will delay the drivers from making bad decisions at high speeds until they have a bit of experience under their belt.

xmattx8
10-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Sucks to be a teenager... :burnout:

dino_martini
10-06-2008, 07:21 PM
80mph, that's still pretty quick. 80 mph in a Ford must be an experience.

962 kid
10-06-2008, 08:14 PM
fuck that

Toms-SC
10-06-2008, 08:37 PM
Could you set it so they can't listen to emo or rap music? Can it set their hat straight and bend the brim?

God that would be nice.

EK 2.0
10-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

Could you set it so they can't listen to emo or rap music? Can it set their hat straight and bend the brim?

God that would be nice.

and tuck in their shirt...

KyleTA
10-06-2008, 09:08 PM
im all for it, but it still wont stop them from doing 80 mph down mcleod trail haha

stevo 27
10-06-2008, 09:24 PM
jesus christ

this doesnt effect me in anyway but i see it more and more everyday some fancy bullshit further limiting the need for a brain
:banghead:

Toms-SC
10-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

and tuck in their shirt...

Na, more like pull up their pants.

Eleanor
10-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Won't solve a damn thing.

2EFNFAST
10-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Casa

Brittany Hawthorne, 17, another Southfield-Lathrup senior, said there may be emergency situations where she'd have to drive more than 80, possibly to accelerate to avoid a crash.

Anybody care to cite an example of when you'd have to exceed 140kph to avoid a crash :rofl:

jsn
10-06-2008, 11:27 PM
won't solve all the problems, but it would be a nice small step forwards.

Originally posted by Kloubek

No offense, but that makes no sense. When would you ever have to speed up to ensure that you can "beat" the train. Most (smart) drivers will stop at the flashing lights before a train track and let the train go by instead of blasting through it. This isn't a fast and the furious movie. :rolleyes:

FiveFreshFish
10-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Teens will just have to buy their own beater car.

Kennyredline
10-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Well if "teens" are dying more behind the wheel than any other cause...raise the driving age.

Kennyredline
10-07-2008, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by jsn
won't solve all the problems, but it would be a nice small step forwards.

No offense, but that makes no sense. When would you ever have to speed up to ensure that you can "beat" the train. Most (smart) drivers will stop at the flashing lights before a train track and let the train go by instead of blasting through it. This isn't a fast and the furious movie. :rolleyes:
Are you serious???

nissanK
10-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Except kids are more tech savvy then their parents.

All it will take is the kid gets some buddy to bypass the limiters. There's always a way around it and teens will find a way.

If you don't trust the kid to drive on there own, DON'T LET THEM DRIVE! Tell them to get there own car.

alloroc
10-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Kennyredline

Are you serious???

I'm sure he is. I know I stop for flashing train lights and there is no reason why it would be impossible for anyone else.

In most US states the lights are triggered from a distance equal to or greater than one thousand five hundred feet. So ya, you see the lights flashing you stop, then the train goes by.

A train moving at 60MPH would trigger the lights a minimum of 17 seconds in advance of reaching the intersection, that is plenty of advance warning.

tm88
10-07-2008, 11:29 AM
cant watch dvds while driving....Someone found a way and posted it all over the internet. Takes all of 5 minutes to bypass it.

As mentioned im sure it will take all of a week for someone to find a way to bypass this as well.

Hell, ide borrow the rents key for a day and go pay a couple hundred at ford to get a new key. That way i could pump my music going down 17th way to fast.

jsn
10-07-2008, 12:03 PM

Are you serious???

Does it look like I'm being sarcastic?

Originally posted by alloroc
In most US states the lights are triggered from a distance equal to or greater than one thousand five hundred feet. So ya, you see the lights flashing you stop, then the train goes by.

A train moving at 60MPH would trigger the lights a minimum of 17 seconds in advance of reaching the intersection, that is plenty of advance warning.

Exactly. Kennyredline, are you saying 17 seconds isn't enough time for you to stop for a train? Hell even if it was 5 seconds that would be enough.

toastgremlin
10-07-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm wondering how many accidents are actually caused due to excessive speed and how many are due to other reasons (not watching the road, passengers, drunk, stunting).

Seems like a better choice would be to just not let your kids drive.

Hakkola
10-07-2008, 12:12 PM
LOL @ magic of software. :rofl:

If it is the parent's car, they can do what they want. I don't see a problem unless all cars start getting the top speed restricted to 80mph no matter who is driving.

flipstah
10-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by nissanK

All it will take is the kid gets some buddy to bypass the limiters. There's always a way around it and teens will find a way.

If you don't trust the kid to drive on there own, DON'T LET THEM DRIVE! Tell them to get there own car.

:werd:

Have trust in your children people! Most teens are responsible and know the consequences of getting caught racing.

Like a mother's backhand. :cry:

dr_jared88
10-07-2008, 12:22 PM
I think it would be more effective if they had it synced with GPS with the speeds recorded for roads and have a 10k/m buffer. I realize it would take quite a bit of work and overhead but with the advancements to GPS lately I think they are nearly at a point they could do that. You can already set a chime on your Navi when you are speeding so why not tie it into the car?

After all 80mph is dangerous on a 100km/h road yet alone in a 50km/h zone. Just a thought.

Edit: And put a friggen cell phone jammer in the car! That's another big problem with these punks and there necessity to text/talk and drive. I realize it can be done somewhat safe but the average person can't seem to do it.

flipstah
10-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by dr_jared88
I think it would be more effective if they had it synced with GPS with the speeds recorded for roads and have a 10k/m buffer. I realize it would take quite a bit of work and overhead but with the advancements to GPS lately I think they are nearly at a point they could do that. You can already set a chime on your Navi when you are speeding so why not tie it into the car?

After all 80mph is dangerous on a 100km/h road yet alone in a 50km/h zone. Just a thought.

Edit: And put a friggen cell phone jammer in the car! That's another big problem with these punks and there necessity to text/talk and drive. I realize it can be done somewhat safe but the average person can't seem to do it.

They have GPS trackers connected to trucks that calculates speed and location in real-time. It's a deterrent so that truckers don't steal their shipment.

Why don't they just do that? If the kid speeds, then you have proof that they're idiots. You can also track where they're heading so that you'll know 'study night' became 'a night out at the Roadhouse.'

The receiver is pretty small and can be hidden in the most awkward places where a teen may not look.

nissanK
10-07-2008, 12:56 PM
^^Something here that combines everything.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21225268/

alloroc
10-07-2008, 01:48 PM

See now that ^^ I disagree with.

but I see no problems reducing a car's top speed for the road.

403Gemini
10-07-2008, 02:58 PM

Haha that poor girl has the "I hate my parents..." fake smile going on.

Kennyredline
10-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by jsn

Does it look like I'm being sarcastic?

Exactly. Kennyredline, are you saying 17 seconds isn't enough time for you to stop for a train? Hell even if it was 5 seconds that would be enough.

No, I'm saying the mentality is to always beat the light...the way people drive now, a flashing light with a bell is no different from a light turning from yellow to red...nine out of ten times people will try to run it. The OP made it sound as though this kind of driving habit was alien.

403Gemini
10-07-2008, 04:48 PM

No, I'm saying the mentality is to always beat the light...the way people drive now, a flashing light with a bell is no different from a light turning from yellow to red...nine out of ten times people will try to run it. The OP made it sound as though this kind of driving habit was alien.

We do?

You sure you should be driving?

Kennyredline
10-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

We do?

You sure you should be driving?
Please show me where I said "I" drive like that....

Projek01
10-07-2008, 05:05 PM
i think its a stupid idea. i am a teen and i know how kids get into accidents, its not really the top speed that will make a difference but how much over the speed limit they do. 120km.h in a 60 zone is enough to kill your teen lol. a smarter system would work with a gps system to limit speed according to the map. imagine highway passing with a 128km/h speed limiter! i know i hit 140km/h at time just to safely pass semi trucks. i would just take my dad's key and get it copied and programed at a locksmith lol

dr_jared88
10-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Projek01
i think its a stupid idea. i am a teen and i know how kids get into accidents, its not really the top speed that will make a difference but how much over the speed limit they do. 120km.h in a 60 zone is enough to kill your teen lol. a smarter system would work with a gps system to limit speed according to the map. imagine highway passing with a 128km/h speed limiter! i know i hit 140km/h at time just to safely pass semi trucks. i would just take my dad's key and get it copied and programed at a locksmith lol

Umm, Read my post it says exactly what you just said. And you shouldnt need to to hit 130 to pass someone if you give yourself enough time. Besides lots of these kids borrow mommy's car aren't highway driving.

Rocky
10-07-2008, 06:54 PM
I like it, it might not stop everything but it certainly can't hurt. However, an unfortunate truth is some kids are just responsible enough to drive properly and safely, and some aren't. It's the parents job to 1. teach their kids respect for the road and 2. to not give irresponsible kids a vehicle, but we all know parents in today's modern society seem to be generally pretty piss poor.

pyroza
10-07-2008, 07:16 PM

If I can stop safely (good distance away, no one tailgating me), I will stop at a yellow light, especially if it's in an area I'm not sure of. No point in risking getting caught running a red light or getting into an accident, considering I would be saving only about a minute.

spikerS
10-07-2008, 09:50 PM
i would be all over it for my kids, too bad it isn't retroactive for todays retarded drivers.

jsn
10-07-2008, 11:22 PM

And you're saying this is okay? The whole point is to try to cut down on dangerous driving, hence the proposed governor on the speed limit.

Also i just wanted to know how we were supposed to get all this from your original post "are you serious?"

SneakyNeek
10-07-2008, 11:44 PM
how many "teen" drivers are actully going to be aloud to drive there rents brand new 2010 model. I know back in the day i would got hit on the head if i asked

Kennyredline
10-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by pyroza

If I can stop safely (good distance away, no one tailgating me), I will stop at a yellow light, especially if it's in an area I'm not sure of. No point in risking getting caught running a red light or getting into an accident, considering I would be saving only about a minute.
Well you and I are a minority my friend!

95EagleAWD
10-08-2008, 12:31 AM
I go back to my statements from various speed limit threads.

TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO DRIVE!!!! Speed isn't the be all, end all factor here.

North America has the lowest speed limits in the world coupled with NO DRIVER EDUCATION.

Canada is a huge country with a big flat part in the middle. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to do 170 km/h on a divided highway around here.

InLoveWitRSX
10-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Well if "teens" are dying more behind the wheel than any other cause...raise the driving age.

exactly

schmooot
10-08-2008, 10:39 AM
my kid is going to get a 1984 tercel for his first car....no bloody way he is borrowing my 2010 whatever. He'd be lucky to reach 80mph without the beast falling apart

hypnotoad
10-08-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm all for it.

Now if ford could only find a way to remove those big sunglasses girls wear and disable their cellphones and that smug "I'm awesome" look they get when they talk and drive at the same time, we'd all be a little safer.

Canmorite
10-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
I go back to my statements from various speed limit threads.

TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO DRIVE!!!! Speed isn't the be all, end all factor here.

North America has the lowest speed limits in the world coupled with NO DRIVER EDUCATION.

Canada is a huge country with a big flat part in the middle. There's no reason why we shouldn't be able to do 170 km/h on a divided highway around here.

+1 for better driver education.

Shunsui
10-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite

+1 for better driver education.

I'm so against it, first of all most rap music influence you to drive slow. Next I myself, am a teen and take my rents car, but I know for a fact I drive a lot better than most, women on their cells, most asian women(older), and most calgarians, shit I drive better than my mom. So I think education is KEY.

hypnotoad
10-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by someone
I'm all for it.

Now if ford could only find a way to remove those big sunglasses girls wear and disable their cellphones and that smug "I'm awesome" look they get when they talk and drive at the same time, we'd all be a little safer.

Ya, I totally agree with this statement!

arian_ma
10-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Like it didn't already suck enough balls to be seen in your parents Ford Taurus...

95EagleAWD
10-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Shunsui

I'm so against it, first of all most rap music influence you to drive slow. Next I myself, am a teen and take my rents car, but I know for a fact I drive a lot better than most, women on their cells, most asian women(older), and most calgarians, shit I drive better than my mom. So I think education is KEY.

What the hell are you trying to say there?

b_t
10-08-2008, 03:52 PM

What the hell are you trying to say there?

I'm not quite sure.. he doesn't seem to understand that since he still is a teenager, he has no idea what is talking about

Shunsui
10-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Sorry, I only had 2 hours of sleep today, what I forgot to add was that, It's not right to only acknowledge the teenagers, but you should target pretty much everyone else equally, therefore having more thorough drivers ed lessons, and instructors who know exactly what their talking about province wide.(my instructor pretty much told me checking your blind side is for noobs, I said tell that to the dumb idiots who don't know how to merge onto highways)

Sky
10-09-2008, 12:21 AM
cool feature. If I don't trust my kids to drive smart/responsibly and need to limit them this way, I wouldn't even let them drive. Most important is that I will spend time I mean LOTS of time with them on teaching and seeing how they drive. If only all parents know how to drive so they don't teach their kids shit.

If I'm not happy with their skill and ability, they won't be driving until they can live on their own and afford that privilege.

Eleanor
10-10-2008, 03:38 PM
So then we have a bunch of shitty early to mid 20 year old drivers? Yeah that'll solve the problem :banghead:

TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO DRIVE!!!!
:clap:

TorqueDog
10-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
Anybody care to cite an example of when you'd have to exceed 140kph to avoid a crash :rofl: When the drunk guy behind you is doing 150 KM/H? :angel: Gotta outrun that prick somehow!
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Except kids are more tech savvy then their parents. Some nerd is going to install Linux over-top of the stock software, I just know it. PS2s, iPods, PS3s... MyKey Linux!

zipdoa
10-14-2008, 06:01 PM
first thing I thought of

http://www.ocala.com/article/20080127/BREAKING_NEWS/274162577/1053/BREAKING_NEWS

sexualbanana
10-14-2008, 11:00 PM
You do realize this whole situation is predicated on buying a brand new Ford. Which a lot of people don't do anymore