PDA

View Full Version : Split: turbo kit for jdm b18c itr motor

Deetz
10-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by abcd.24
looking for a good condition turbo kit for a jdm b18c itr motor
pm me:)

You want to turbocharge and engine that makes 11:1 compression? Not saying it can't be done, but i'd be careful.

ITR motors were designed to run all motor

gpomp
10-07-2008, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Deetz
You want to turbocharge and engine that makes 11:1 compression? why do turbocharged cars like the bmw 335i and vw gti have compression ratios of 10.3:1?

Deetz
10-07-2008, 01:22 AM
I'll give you that......but 11:1 is getting up there. I'm not sure, but isn't running high compression bad when it comes to forced air induction?

The last Type R i rode in was a usdm model that ran 10.6:1 with a JR supercharger. Sure it made power, but it had a lot of detination problems. After a year of that, the owner gave the blower up in favor a Toda cam and various other parts in the head to have a better running and faster car with an all motor setup. :dunno:

TurboD
10-07-2008, 07:15 AM
from the setups ive seen, high compression not working with turbo is a myth.

actually high compression and vtec have yielded very good results in the turbo world of hondas.
i wish i had a graph or a setup to backup my statements, i will have to look later for one.

but ive known of setups with very high compression running boost, they respond best to boost.

SNAATCH
10-07-2008, 08:10 AM

You want to turbocharge and engine that makes 11:1 compression? Not saying it can't be done, but i'd be careful.

ITR motors were designed to run all motor

That used to be my vote, but it seems the Vtec motors have better bottom ends which can handle the boost. Stronger rods, pistons, and crankshaft to allow for the higher reving helps with the added boost I would imagine. This would only be true for lower boost applications.

If you are going for high boost application 15psi+, I would think having a low compression would be mandatory.

Mr_ET
10-07-2008, 08:10 AM
High compression and boost can work well together but tuning the car becomes a bit more tricky since the margin for error is smaller.

It also becomes more difficult to tune the car for 91 octane so you will see a lot of people running those setups on higher octane fuels.

92gsr
10-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Honda factory pistons, cylinders, and eventually rods are quite susceptible to detonation, so a higher c/r honda must be tuned carefully. That said there are a few 500+whp setups on bonestock internals. 250wtq seems to be the limit for oem ringlands on pump gas.

euro_racer
10-08-2008, 10:35 AM
the way i see it is higher compression = more power on less boost and you get a better flowing head ...is this about right?

EK 2.0
10-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Why don't we all ask ls/vtec-crx??;)

dj_honda
10-08-2008, 11:40 AM
i would turbo an ITR motor anyday.

then again, it probably wouldn't compare in awesomeness to 'calgary's fastest all motor civic' running a bone stock b20 :facepalm: :werd:

Deetz
10-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda
i would turbo an ITR motor anyday.

then again, it probably wouldn't compare in awesomeness to 'calgary's fastest all motor civic' running a bone stock b20 :facepalm: :werd:

and who's got the fastest all motor civic?

crxcel
10-11-2008, 08:15 PM
its proven that you make more power per pound of boost than you do for each point of compression. Hence the reason people go low compression and more boost. Both work with good tunes

rc2002
10-11-2008, 08:47 PM

and who's got the fastest all motor civic?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/233633/f-s-1996-civic-crv-powered/

rc2002
10-11-2008, 08:48 PM
The cost of blowing a motor would make me rethink turboing a B18C-R.

But the 11.0 compression wouldn't.

ShermanEF9
10-11-2008, 11:20 PM
build the motor... then you can daily drive it without worrying about it exploding.

Dj_Stylz
10-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Where's the fun in that?;)

gpomp
10-13-2008, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
build the motor... then you can daily drive it without worrying about it exploding. no need to build shit when a bone stock motor can handle 500 whp

frozenrice
10-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Boosting high compression is doable, but the key is tuning it right to prevent the detonation problems that Deetz is talking about. The problem with a lot of boosted, high compression engines is the tunes aren't done properly.

EM1FTW
10-28-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by ShermanEF9
build the motor... then you can daily drive it without worrying about it exploding.

where is the fun in that daver!

ShermanEF9
10-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by EM1FTW

where is the fun in that daver!

GOOD POINT!

why not just buy like 7 D series have then sit in your garage and run 20 psi daily.... then you don't need a B18CR!

superboost
11-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Its all about the tune.

Building an engine is useless if you are going to cut corners and run an FMU or a piggyback. Besides running a built motor daily is a waste of money and parts will fail for non performance reasons, stop and go traffic is harder on an engine then full bore redline rev limiter pulls.

Spensers D-series is still running at 15PSI daily and has been for 5+ years... Gpomps car was running consistently low times and he daily drove the shit out of his motor. as far as I know he blew it once. hes had that car for ages.

Marc's civic has a headgasket and arp studs for a build, made 300HP on the dyno this is a b18b, he tuned his car himself with a wideband and has been running a steady 300HP for about 1.5 years, his shit hasnt had one single issue.

High compression doesnt vex a motor, it just means that you need to wash more fuel to give a margin. it is ill advised to run more then 11.2- 11.5 under boost. However the ariel atom runs a supercharger on a b18c5 @ 13PSI and it makes 300 odd horsepower... never baucked.

SRT-4's run close to 10.5 for compression....

If you want to run boost in a honda you just gotta be smart with fuel management and not run some piece of shit tune found on hondatech from another goof who knows nothing.