PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Dodge Power Ram 150 4x4

Rat Fink
10-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Reason for selling: Looking for a career change...one that requires driving throughout southern alberta and I don't really need a truck anymore so I am looking for a car instead. I purchased this truck in Feb 2005, and have driving approx 30-35K on it during that time.

1983 Dodge Power Ram 150
4x4
32" BFG Mud Terrain T/As
Odometer shows 54,100kms. I do in fact beleive this to be 154,100 kms (not 254K) as the vehicle still has the original suspension/steering parts (with exception of new drag link) and is very tight. The pedals aren't very worn. Also, the truck was used primarily as a hunting/farm truck for the majority of its life and didn't stray too far from Claresholm/foothills area.
Manual hubs
NP 435 transmission (4 spd standard....the kind with the rock crawler 1st gear so you start out in 2nd gear when driving in the city). Its a bulky transmission and you certainly won't win speed racing records with this truck, but it is tough and durable.
NP 208 transfer case
Dana 44 front Diff, Chrysler 9.25in rear diff
Build sheet still in the back seat
Regular oil changes (2500-3500 kms) - oil changes are cheap so why not?
Minimal rust on body
AM/FM radio through 1 in-dash speaker (the pinnacle of stereo technology)

Was a 318 truck originally. Owned by a guy near Claresholm who used it as a hunting and farm truck through its whole life. He died in a quadding accident, so his wife used it around the farm for a few years before a family friend sold it to me. Before he died he must've swapped in a 360 with a rebuilt longblock. His friend who sold it to me still thought it had a 318 but it is definately a 360. When I pulled the engine out to swap camshafts and reseal the engine we took the pan off and found the bottom end had been completely rebuilt. The cylinder walls still had the crosshatching on it and all wear items looked new. We swapped the cam and lifters, had the heads professionally rebuilt, and put it together with new timing chain/gears, longtube headers and dual exhaust, new waterpump, new fuelpump, edelbrock 4bbl intake, quadrajet carb, new belts, new radiator, new hoses. Replaced the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing at the same time the engine was out. Following that, various parts were replaced as mentioned in the list below.

The good:
I beleive it can classify for collector insurance if you plan on making it a toy
Old farmers come upto you all the time with compliments
Not many older Dodge trucks in this good of condition
Many new parts

In the past year:
New alternator (last month)
New rear brakes: New rear shoes and wheel cylinders
New rear Brake line and brake hose
Spark Plugs
New Fuel Pump

Within the past 3 years:
New Radiator (larger one)
New hoses
New Drag Link
Rebuilt Heads (new springs, exhaust valves, reground intake valves, all new guides, and seats)
Camshaft upgrade and lifters
New Oil Pump
New Edelbrock Performer 4bbl intake
Rebuilt Quadrajet 4bbl carb
All new engine gaskets
New Water Pump
New Thermostat
New MSD plug wires
New Timing Chain/gears
Hooker long tube headers
Hooker dual exhaust kit
Hooker Aerochamber mufflers
FBO ignition upgrade (ignition module and coil)
New clutch, new pressure plate, new release bearing, surfaced flywheel
New U-joints in rear driveshaft
New front driveshaft

The bad:
Windshield is dust pitted
Steering box has a leak, but isn't serious (leaves drips but doesn't require constant topping up)
Valve cover gaskets should be replaced. The composite gaskets that are on it just don't seem to seal 100%. Cork or rubber will seal well.
Front brakes: While there is lots of pad left, the sliders for the caliper should be cleaned up and lubricated as they are sticking and wearing 1 pad more than the other.
Steering coupler has some slop in it so there is play in the steering. not excessive, but coupler rebuild kits can be bought for 15 dollars off Ebay for genuine Mopar kits.
Pinion Seal on the rear diff is weaping a bit. Leaves small drips, but not enough to require constant attention.
Box had a 5th wheel hitch installed, so there are some bolt holes in the box and 1 hole cut in the middle of the box approximately 3 inches in diameter. Hasn't bothered me yet, but if you are hauling gravel you might piss off some people!
Have to turn the truck off when talking into the speaker at some drive throughs
Weatherstripping around the vent windows are dried so there is some wind noise while highway driving.

Quirks:
When the air is humid or cold, she likes to stumble a bit until the engine is warmed up. May be due to a few things: Open element aircleaner with no heat riser. Quadrajet carb could use a tweak or swap out for another type of carb.

Carry a spare ballast resister as with any old Mopar. They cost 6 bucks, and over the past 4 years I've had 3 die on me. Its a 1 minute swap to change them. Last time I changed one in the time it took the traffic lights to cycle twice! haha. Symptom: the truck will die and will crank but not fire up. Been that ballast resistor every time.

Asking price, 3800 obo. Open to reasonable offers. I would keep this truck if my current situation justified having 2 vehicles.

PM me if you are interested as I don't like displaying my phone number or email in the public.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/polypolara/DSCF1049.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/polypolara/DSCF1048.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/polypolara/DSCF1047.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h245/polypolara/Build-sheet.jpg