PDA

View Full Version : OBX? Anyone carry it locally??

ekguy
10-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Found out obx actually has a set of headers for the legend and also a y-pipe...Anyone able to order this in Calgary and can anyone suggest a very reputable shop that could install them and complete the exhaust all the way to my remus muffler??? Reason I'm asking is that the Legend forums say that they need a bit of work to get to fit right and would like a reputable shop to install these for me.

I have pretty much decided this was going to be my x-mas gift to myself since I don't have a gf to shop for anymore haha. Headers are much nicer than buying jewelry for a woman hahaha.

Supa Dexta
10-07-2008, 09:31 PM
OBX is pretty junky and very much prone to cracking.

ekguy
10-07-2008, 09:41 PM
for an acura legend it's all thats available and all the reviews on them on the forums have been favorable for years on end so far...If you can find me a better alternative for such a non-modded car go nuts I'm open to any other opinion. But this is to free up the exhaust on my 3.2 six so I'm willing to try em. Also I'd be keeping the stockers anyways...

I know the reputation they have. But I don't have many options and also like I said there are quite a few guys running them on that site and they all had good experiences with them. The y-pipe they have isn't the greatest but I think magnaflow has a universal one that can be used.

Eleanor
10-07-2008, 09:56 PM
I would just keep OEM, you might get some gains with the OBX, but how long until you have exhaust billowing out from under your hood?

Are there any dyno charts proving gains? I've heard nothing but bad about OBX.

ekguy
10-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Well like I said i'd keep the stockers...Dunno about dyno gains...I'll ask and we'll see hehe.

ekguy
10-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Looks like someone is working on an equal lengths header that is going to be offering it at a somewhat decent price...might pay more but they are testing a bunch of variants on the dyno. So looks like I'm waiting a bit longer for a better product...

Is obx really that bad though?

92gsr
10-08-2008, 12:36 AM
No it's not. Their shitty tubular turbo manifolds can crack but a header wont, especially if there is a flex section in the exhaust.

ekguy
10-08-2008, 01:18 AM
they have a flex tubing section right before the test pipe

ianmcc
10-08-2008, 06:19 AM
I don't have an Acura but I do have an OBX 4-2-1 header. Very good quality for the price-welds were very good, fitment was excellent and not a single complaint or issue for two years now.
OBX has improved dramatically over the years although their R&D department still means Receive and Duplicate.

Sorath
10-08-2008, 07:53 AM
fuck dont buy that ebay shit, i bought one of those, and it came with a different flange, and the manifold warped

ekguy
10-09-2008, 09:32 AM
Getting these when they are done and they make production, dyno proven ones:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/Gravy_83/my%20new%20car/IMG_0914.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/Gravy_83/my%20new%20car/IMG_0907.jpg

These will also give quite a bit of grunt to the 3.2 6er hehehe.

QuasarCav
10-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Are you aware on the install costs for putting these on your Legend?

ekguy
10-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Are you aware that not everyone on here is poor??? Yes I'm aware it'll cost a pretty penny. I could do like alot of civic owners and cavalier owners and put the money on a shitty body kit and install it in all it's primered pimpness or I could just invest my money into worthwhile mods which is what I'm doing.

Weapon_R
10-09-2008, 01:13 PM
I realize that you are probably really excited about finding something for your legend, but the reality is that you'll end up spending a lot of cash for headers and end up disappointed.

OBX is a shitty company because most of their products perform poorly on a dyno or are cheaply made. If you want to start putting parts on your car that perform like crap, you'll end up spending a whole bunch of money and up with a car thats less mechanically sound than before.

ekguy
10-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Well i dropped OBX as someone on the forum I'm on is building and designing equal length runner headers. The pics I posted are the ones that will be used on the dyno to get numbers. Then the finished product will be cnc machined flanges and mandrel bent tubing. It's going to be dyno proven so I'm waiting for those. Check the pics I posted in this very thread to see what I will be picking up. It won't be for sound or looks...It'll be designed with power gains in mind and only power gains in mind. Also they are being designed to be able to install by most diy'ers and any exhaust shop will be able to get these in with minimal work since they are being designed this way. The obx required grinding some parts of the car for clearance which after long thought I decided I wouldn't do on mine...

This finished product will be clean, functional and will actually have dyno proven numbers.

QuasarCav
10-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
Are you aware that not everyone on here is poor??? Yes I'm aware it'll cost a pretty penny. I could do like alot of civic owners and cavalier owners and put the money on a shitty body kit and install it in all it's primered pimpness or I could just invest my money into worthwhile mods which is what I'm doing.

Enjoy!

ekguy
10-09-2008, 01:41 PM
I dunno I might get an invader kit for it though...It'll be primer grey and it'll look sweet. I'll tell people I'm going to paint soon hehehe.

:bigpimp:

But anywhoo it's getting close to being all done. I think they are completely done the dyno set and just need to put em on the donor car (someone actually lent the guy their legend for dyno runs and fitment issues hehe)

Sorry edited. They will be roughly 700$ for the set. But with fitment issues being taken care of install will be much easier than obx ones which routinely need a lot of work to get to fit right. Whereas these will not require much if any work to put on other than bolting them up and moving a couple things around for clearance while putting them on.

Sorath
10-09-2008, 01:42 PM
so ur off telling everyone that ur pretty well off but ur driving a 91 legend? lol.......:drama:

ekguy
10-09-2008, 01:45 PM
I am very well off for my age. It's my 8th car in 3 years. I just liked this car and bought it. It's got new paint. New interior and engine was mostly rebuilt so yes it's nice to upgrade from the ek.

And since when is 700$ that much money jesus if I was working and not making that per pay i'd be shooting myself since I wouldn't be worth doing anything hahaha.

Jesus Christ haha.

Sorry had to edit. I know there's a couple legend drivers on here. Look up Legend forums online and you'll find the thread for these up on there. This is a good investment for any legend driver.

Jason Lange
10-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
so ur off telling everyone that ur pretty well off but ur driving a 91 legend? lol.......:drama:

haha I lol'd cause hes using student loans to pay for this junk aswell...anyways hope it works out for you.

hadookin
10-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
I am very well off for my age. It's my 8th car in 3 years. I just liked this car and bought it. It's got new paint. New interior and engine was mostly rebuilt so yes it's nice to upgrade from the ek.

And since when is 700$ that much money jesus if I was working and not making that per pay i'd be shooting myself since I wouldn't be worth doing anything hahaha.

Jesus Christ haha.

Sorry had to edit. I know there's a couple legend drivers on here. Look up Legend forums online and you'll find the thread for these up on there. This is a good investment for any legend driver.

Excellent. Now we have the beyond benchmark for wealth.

You aren't well off if you haven't owned, at a minimum, 8 cars in 3 year.

Fuck am I poor.

ekguy
10-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by hadookin

Excellent. Now we have the beyond benchmark for wealth.

You aren't well off if you haven't owned, at a minimum, 8 cars in 3 year.

Fuck am I poor.

hahaha most weren't expensive...couple integras, an rx7, an explorer nothing fancy hahaha.

Miss the rx7...The 1.3l that thought it could hahaha.

ekguy
10-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Jason Lange

haha I lol'd cause hes using student loans to pay for this junk aswell...anyways hope it works out for you.

using my pay from work to pay for this thank you very much hahaha. I work 5 nights a week while I go to school...You know those things people go too every once in a while....Jobs...yeah I got one of those. Using some of my student loan to overhaul my breaks cuz they are old and neglected hehehe :D

And headers are my treat to myself for christmas as well...:devil: