PDA

View Full Version : Warranty voided??

GOnSHO
10-09-2008, 02:21 PM
I took my car into my Dealership where i bought my Saturn Ion 3, Saturn Saab of N.E, because i have no heat in my car and it is getting COLD.....

Couple hours later i get a call saying my oil is VERY low and that its BLACK. Now this makes no sense because i changed the oil not to long ago and i am using FULL synthetic. Dave, the guy in charge of my car asks me if i have any mods besides the intake on the car and i say "yes, full exhaust header back." He goes on to tell me that my car is burning oil, and thinks it because of my header and that they might not be able to fix my car under warranty because of the header. So he will talk to the district manager about it?

This sounds RETARDED to me as the header has NOTHING to do with how my car runs (burning oil wise). All the header does is let exhaust gases come out of the engine more efficiently.

Under the magnuson act they have to prove that the modification caused the problem, and i dont see how they can tie my header with Burning oil??

any ideas??

We will see what they do to remedy the situation....

2EFNFAST
10-09-2008, 02:24 PM
yea, see, here's the thing though.

Canada != US

M-M Warranty Act = US federal law

US federal law != Canada law

Following the trail of crumbs yet? :)

GOnSHO
10-09-2008, 02:32 PM
M-M act is through out NA is it noT??

picmerollin
10-09-2008, 02:35 PM
put your stock exhaust back on and try another dealer :dunno:

BerserkerCatSplat
10-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
M-M act is through out NA is it noT??

No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

GOnSHO
10-09-2008, 02:42 PM
We have nothing along the lines of the M M act here in canada??

NickGT
10-09-2008, 02:43 PM
My girlfriends 2002 saturn sc1 burns oil bad. (I assume as I see no leaks). I have to check it ALL the time. Apparently its a common problem - google "saturn burns oil"

Anyway I don't think your exhaust or intake have anything to do with how much heat your car throws.

I would want them to check for obstructions in the vents (a pen fell through the dash of one of our trucks - somehow - and we had no heat - 300 dollar fix). Maybe bad theromstat or heater core?

Good luck man I hate visiting dealerships :banghead: Thankfully my Mustang has been good to me thus far..

GOnSHO
10-09-2008, 03:00 PM
i dont see how the header has anythign to do with the piston rings??

Ferio_vti
10-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Oil and exhaust aside, did those clowns even address your heating issue??

GOnSHO
10-09-2008, 03:03 PM
they apparently had to order in some parts??? that wont be here until NEXT friday.. so i have no heat for a week..

GOnSHO
10-09-2008, 03:27 PM
wow, i thought i would get more interest in this thread.. oh well i guess..

benyl
10-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Do you still have Cats and the O2 sensor?

Tik-Tok
10-09-2008, 03:28 PM
wow, i thought i would get more interest in this thread.. oh well i guess..

Edit your post to pretend you have a Civic. Then you'll get lots of replies.

As far as your warranty work goes, tell them to prove your headers are doing something to the engine.

Ferio_vti
10-09-2008, 03:35 PM
they apparently had to order in some parts??? that wont be here until NEXT friday.. so i have no heat for a week..

What parts did they have to order?? was it something you could have DIY??

GOnSHO
10-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Yes i still have a Catalytic Converter, the rear O2 sensor was takin out but only because its threw codes with the High flow cat in the DP... i have the FRONT O2 still in place

and they ordered new door molding (thats warranty, i had a bad wind whistle) and i dunno what parts for the heat issue..

Tik-Tok
10-09-2008, 03:38 PM
the rear O2 sensor was takin out but only because its threw codes with the High flow cat in the DP... i have the FRONT O2 still in place

Now that will definitely affect your warranty for the engine.

Thaco
10-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Now that will definitely affect your warranty for the engine. Why? all the rear o2 sensor does is detect that your cat is working properly and if not it throws a code, it does nothing else.

GOnSHO
10-09-2008, 03:45 PM
the rear o2 was only used to measure the temp of the cat... with the amount of exhaust coming threw the cat it was throwing a code that would just dump fuel into the engine trying to cool the engine/cat down

Thaco
10-09-2008, 03:48 PM
the rear o2 was only used to measure the temp of the cat... with the amount of exhaust coming threw the cat it was throwing a code that would just dump fuel into the engine trying to cool the engine/cat down

again, that's not was the rear o2 senor does, all it does is detect whether or not the cat is doing it's job, if not, it turns on your dash light, nothing more.

Eleanor
10-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Did your exhaust lean out the AFR causing increased cylinder temps and prematurely wearing out the piston rings?

GOnSHO
10-09-2008, 04:02 PM
nope.. never leaned out the car.. car has been running very well...

CivicDXR
10-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

again, that's not was the rear o2 senor does, all it does is detect whether or not the cat is doing it's job, if not, it turns on your dash light, nothing more.

partially true depending on the car... yes, the rear sensor just detect if the cat is working, but alot of cars run a safe mode when the check engine light is on... the safe mode causes the ECU to go into 'open loop' mode, ignoring the O2 sensors, and dumping extra fuel into the mix to keep things 'safe'... and too much fuel over long periods of time can mess things up...

benyl
10-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
Why? all the rear o2 sensor does is detect that your cat is working properly and if not it throws a code, it does nothing else.

Doesn't matter.

You have messed with the emission control system. Warranty is probably void. Cat back exhaust is usually fine, but mess with anything before that, bye bye warranty.

This has been documented by many users on many forums.

2EFNFAST
10-09-2008, 05:05 PM
We have nothing along the lines of the M M act here in canada??

No - if it had been just a catback exhaust you'd probably be okay, but once you start adding on stuff like headers (even though it's not very difficult), well, that usually raises enough eyebrows at the stealership for them to screw you.

The one thing i've learned from modding - if you don't have the $$$$ to replace shit that breaks, whether or not your mod caused the problem, then don't mod. For example, with my Z06 I fully acknowledge that as soon as I start having serious engine problems its first stop will not be at a Chevy dealership asking for warranty work, but Davenport to tell them to rip it out and put in a built 402 (it's only a few k more than a ls6, so why not)