PDA

View Full Version : Nokian Hakka 5 vs. Hakka R

2ndgenlude
10-09-2008, 06:08 PM
in the middle of trying to decide what tire to get and could use some opinions. studs would be nice, but i don't think i really need them for around the city. maybe a week or so during the winter. stopping distance is reduced quite a bit on ice though with studs. the new R is supposedly a replacement for the RSI which has got great reviews, and is even half decent on dry pavement which the 5 is supposedly not. opinions?

going on a 08 civic if that matters.

EvolutionI
10-09-2008, 08:22 PM
I would go with the the hakkapeliitta R. Lower rolling resistance, low low road noise (compared to other winter tires, not just to studded ones) You don't really need studded tires, I haven't encountered a situation where I needed studded tires.

Kavy
10-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by EvolutionI
I would go with the the hakkapeliitta R. Lower rolling resistance, low low road noise (compared to other winter tires, not just to studded ones) You don't really need studded tires, I haven't encountered a situation where I needed studded tires.

But remember The Hakka R melts on warm pavement my last 2 sets have lasted only 1 winter because of our shitty snow -45 then +22 weather shifts.

clem24
10-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Studs kick ass and they're marginally noisier (at low speed, sounds like you're driving on gravel, but as speed picks up, it just sounds like regular tire noise). So when you need them, they're there. When you don't, they're not much of a nuisance. But last year, I found Calgary roads just don't require studs. I'll keep mine (great for winter auto x), but for others, not necessary.

JHD
11-30-2008, 01:13 AM
i work at Kal-Tire and i run the R's and have no complaints
i also get them like 75% off so... lol

Mibz
11-30-2008, 11:06 AM
I've run RSI's for the last two seasons and love 'em, though for Calgary's climate I would definitely go to the "All (no really!) Season" WRs once these are done. Better than most winter tires on snow, not as good on ice but way better suited for the drastic changes we have here.