PDA

View Full Version : Repeating FNCE 317...am i crazy?

three.eighteen.
10-09-2008, 06:12 PM
I got a C way back in my first semester in Haskayne, I realized that I want my chance to attend law school and replacing this C with an A would bring up my GPA from high 3.2 to possibly a 3.4...still a long shot i know

but i checked today and everything is filled, will space open up towards the end of fall semester?

toyboy88
10-09-2008, 10:26 PM
If it does open up, probably first/second week after winter term starts, as that's when everyone usually starts switching sections to get a certain teacher/be in friend's classes, etc.

eblend
10-09-2008, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't bother, you passed the course, you probably will get in without taking the course, so unless you really love finance, and have extra money to blow, then it is not worth it

three.eighteen.
10-10-2008, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by eblend
I wouldn't bother, you passed the course, you probably will get in without taking the course, so unless you really love finance, and have extra money to blow, then it is not worth it

3.2 gpa not sexy to law school even w/ 160 lsat, like i'm considering taking extra courses just to pad my gpa more, even though i only need 2 to graduate

dimi
10-10-2008, 06:55 AM
3 weeks prior to the start of the semester I only had 1 class (I was on a plane when reg. began). Anyway, I managed to fit all the classes I needed in the schedule I wanted. Just add all of the sections of the classes you want to your schedule and wait for the green lights.

7thgenvic
10-10-2008, 07:33 AM
good luck! I personally think it might be a waste! But if you really wanna bring your GPA up you might consider taking more then just one class.

cressida_pimpin
10-10-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm pretty sure that alot of law schools take your best two years GPA, not necessarily your best 20 courses. So this means that they will take your best year (minimum 8 courses for that year) and then your second best year (also a block of 8 courses+, however many you took). If you aren't going to use that first semester as part of your best two years, then don't even worry about your C, it won't count. For instance use years 2 and 3 or 3 and 4 and just forget about your first year when you got that C. Good luck with your applications!

three.eighteen.
10-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by cressida_pimpin
I'm pretty sure that alot of law schools take your best two years GPA, not necessarily your best 20 courses. So this means that they will take your best year (minimum 8 courses for that year) and then your second best year (also a block of 8 courses+, however many you took). If you aren't going to use that first semester as part of your best two years, then don't even worry about your C, it won't count. For instance use years 2 and 3 or 3 and 4 and just forget about your first year when you got that C. Good luck with your applications!

depends on where, the alberta schools use last 2, manitoba, uvic or ubc (dont remember) will take into account entire undergrad and drop worst courses...also that c in fnce was in my last 20 lol

my last 2 years have been steady, but still not the 3.5-4.0 sure shot type of marks, which is why i'm at least trying to get out of the 3.29 range. the thing is fnce is my only C and i had a great mark until the final, so i figure by turning a C into an A (hopefully) that actually helps more than getting an extra A to offset my C a little more

I also don't plan on applying right away (not enough extra curriculars atm). I plan on a Sept 09 LSAT and have begun preparation already.

My plan is graduate w/ undergrad, MOVE OUT at some point, write lsat, hold on to tentatively acceptable lsat score for 2 years during which i will continue to teach guitar, volunteer to death, begin my "career" etc. Then apply to law school w/ a 3 year window on my lsat score taking into account that I may fail to get in the first couple tries.