PDA

View Full Version : Down Fill?

wildrice
10-09-2008, 08:11 PM
What is the temperature rating a 550 down fill jacket will withstand?

Looking for purchase a down jacket that will keep me warm in -20 to -30 degree weather.

Thanks,

msommers
10-09-2008, 08:44 PM
While down-fill is important (and you're fine) to keeping warm, it's the outermost layer that is the big deciding factor. Wind sucks. Was it a jacket from MEC?

EDIT: Thought I'd throw a link of the jacket I have from MEC. Jacket (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442619792&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302699049&bmUID=1223606937322) The fur can zip off which is awesome because it's super gay (although helps keep some of the wind out of your face). I had this jacket last winter and wasn't cold once.

rinny
10-09-2008, 08:45 PM
The question is really not necessarily about the loft of down but also about your body heat. Its well known that most guys radiate much more body heat than women, so they dont generally need as warm rating of a jacket as a lady does.

Take into account layering of other thinner, soft shells/fleece/tshirt etc and if you're a guy that produces a lot of heat, a 550 fill should work great.

I have a 800 fill down jacket that I can take off and put behind my back while driving and it will be too hot to the point where i'll start sweating, no exaggeration. 550 is considered "good", where higher end is ~700+

Canmorite
10-09-2008, 08:47 PM
I've got a North Face 600 down jacket and it is by far the warmest jacket I've ever had.

Eleanor
10-09-2008, 09:55 PM
You won't really get a temperature rating for a jacket, there's just too many variables to take into consideration. The fill power doesn't equate to warmth. You can have a really warm 550 jacket or a warm 800 fill. Fill power refers to how many cubic centimeters one gram of the down would "fluff" out too. 800 fill power down means that one gram will occupy 800 cubic centimeters when uncompressed. It basically comes down to a warmth to weight ratio. If weight is a concern, go with a higher fill power, if not, you're probably okay with a 500-600 fill.

Are you going to be active in -20 to -30 C weather (hiking, skiing, etc.)? Or is it mostly for around town? Are you generally a warmer person?

Is getting wet a concern? Down does dick all for you if it gets wet, and it won't dry unless you put it in a drier. As msommers mentioned earlier, wind is a big concern too. Make sure if you get a down coat that it fits fairly snug to reduce drafts.

If you're looking for some around town, MEC & Coast Mountain would probably be some good places to check out.

I have the MEC Tremblant 575 jacket myself. It's fantastic, really warm all winter for around town, you won't find a less expensive one, MEC warranty can't be beat and it's pretty durable as well.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me or post up here :thumbsup:

wildrice
10-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
You won't really get a temperature rating for a jacket, there's just too many variables to take into consideration. The fill power doesn't equate to warmth. You can have a really warm 550 jacket or a warm 800 fill. Fill power refers to how many cubic centimeters one gram of the down would &quot;fluff&quot; out too. 800 fill power down means that one gram will occupy 800 cubic centimeters when uncompressed. It basically comes down to a warmth to weight ratio. If weight is a concern, go with a higher fill power, if not, you're probably okay with a 500-600 fill.

Are you going to be active in -20 to -30 C weather (hiking, skiing, etc.)? Or is it mostly for around town? Are you generally a warmer person?

Is getting wet a concern? Down does dick all for you if it gets wet, and it won't dry unless you put it in a drier. As msommers mentioned earlier, wind is a big concern too. Make sure if you get a down coat that it fits fairly snug to reduce drafts.

If you're looking for some around town, MEC &amp; Coast Mountain would probably be some good places to check out.

I have the MEC Tremblant 575 jacket myself. It's fantastic, really warm all winter for around town, you won't find a less expensive one, MEC warranty can't be beat and it's pretty durable as well.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me or post up here :thumbsup:

Well this is what i bought.
http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=38772&storeId=207&catalogId=10201&langId=-1&from=subCat&parent_category_rn=11702&variationId=37X

Northface 550 down jacket.

a) mostly for getting around town, nothing active. I'd say i'm neutral. not cold but not warmer than normal either. I'd say I probably won't be outside for more than 30 mins at any given time.
b) Won't be getting wet, and it fits pretty snug on me.

prae
10-10-2008, 10:53 AM
another recommend for the tremblant 575 at MEC. I've owned one for 5 years and it got me through university in Edmonton, walking 20 minutes to class every day.

for $100 you can't go wrong. The colors aside from black are kinda gay this season though.

rc2002
10-10-2008, 11:05 AM
+1 about too many variables.

One thing to take into consideration though is the cut of the jacket. The chimney effect makes an enormous difference. That's why I like longer jackets that can seal decently at the bottom (I find spray skirts work well) and top.

I have a 550 fill downjacket and it sucks on it's own. But it's damn warm underneath a shell.