PDA

View Full Version : Getting the last rep in?

Marsh
10-10-2008, 02:13 PM
Hey guys,
This is more for people who don't have a training partner like myself. I usually lift heavy weights because im an ectomorph and am trying to put on size, but i usually find that on working sets I am almost always one or maybe two reps short of my target number of reps. Is there any advice or tips that you guys use to squeeze out this last rep if you don't have a training parter?

I have been trying rest-pause technique ( just a quick 5-10 second rest to get the last rep in)

Thanks,
Marsh

2002civic
10-10-2008, 02:31 PM
quickly lower the weight a little?

a social dsease
10-10-2008, 02:35 PM
It's all mental man. Just focus on keeping perfect posture and form, and concentrating solely on the muscle that the exercise is targeting. Close your eyes, grunt if you have to, and giver. There's not really much advice anyone can give, either you force yourself to do it, or you don't. If you just can't do it, then go down in weight or reps.

teggypimp95
10-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I do as most weight as i can handel , 3 sets of 8 reps. Then on the 4th set you shouldnt be able to make it to 8 but try ur best. Your muscles should feel pretty dead after.

I also take creatine. Drink 15 min before the work out. Gives your muscles an awesome boost of energy and you can find u can lift more weight and push alot harder. Then drink another glass after before you take your protine shake.

Ya alot of it is mental. You really got to ignore the pain. I find creatine really makes your muscles not feel tired during the reps so that helps.

ZorroAMG
10-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Are you AT the gym or home gym?

Ask for a spot...only douches would say no.

calgarygts
10-10-2008, 02:45 PM
next time you're lifting remember how some stranger (me) called you a pussy for not doing it. Then get all e-thug angry and finish off the set. Pussy.

403ep3
10-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Yeah I would agree about asking for a spot.

Grunting also does the trick. Close your eyes, scrunch up your face, and just put all the power into that last rep.

colinxx235
10-10-2008, 02:47 PM
steroids

ZorroAMG
10-10-2008, 03:11 PM
It's best, too, while grunting, to let out a huge, stinking fart. If you touch cloth, you get style points too....just don't fret the wet, you may drop the weights.

kutt3r
10-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Depending on the exercice, just try focusing on the negative motion as slow as possible. Heavy negs are great for breaking plateaus

Marsh
10-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Haha thanks for the advice. Its usually just the last set or sometimes the 2nd last set where I end up short, but I go very early in the morning to the gym so there really isn't anybody else there, that is the only problem with asking for a spot, but otherwise good advice. Thanks

colinxx235
10-10-2008, 03:31 PM
use the smith machine if you can't let your ego drop 5lbs a side or w/e?

EG STyLeZ
10-10-2008, 04:06 PM
As you already mentioned and as someone else suggested, I like to do rest-pause or drop sets when working out without a spot. Although only recommended for people with experience and only on certain exercises, safely cheating on that last rep can be useful too.

pinoyhero
10-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by colinxx235
steroids

LOL, awesome

pinoyhero
10-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Marsh
Hey guys,
This is more for people who don't have a training partner like myself. I usually lift heavy weights because im an ectomorph and am trying to put on size, but i usually find that on working sets I am almost always one or maybe two reps short of my target number of reps. Is there any advice or tips that you guys use to squeeze out this last rep if you don't have a training parter?

I have been trying rest-pause technique ( just a quick 5-10 second rest to get the last rep in)

Thanks,
Marsh

Really there is no way, I wouldn't get too hung up on entirely fatiguing the muscle though. Read up on the topic a bit, that last rep, at the risk of having a weight smash your sternum isn't worth it.

pinoyhero
10-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by a social dsease
It's all mental man. Just focus on keeping perfect posture and form, and concentrating solely on the muscle that the exercise is targeting. Close your eyes, grunt if you have to, and giver. There's not really much advice anyone can give, either you force yourself to do it, or you don't. If you just can't do it, then go down in weight or reps.

Wrong

keeping perfect posture and form on your last rep you can harldy do isn't going to work, you'll end up sacrificing these things on your last reps to push through

i wouldn't close eyes either, the risk of passing out ...

.realtor.
10-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by calgarygts
next time you're lifting remember how some stranger (me) called you a pussy for not doing it. Then get all e-thug angry and finish off the set. Pussy.

This is how i get it done. Training partners say it is a terrible way and that they cant do it. For me, getting mentally angry for 30 seconds thinking of something that really rattled you that week always helps me get a couple more out than i would normally be able to.

kerry
10-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Are you AT the gym or home gym?

Ask for a spot...only douches would say no.

Best advice on here... on my heavy set, when I'm alone, I always always ALWAYS ask for a spot.

broken_legs
10-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
It's best, too, while grunting, to let out a huge, stinking fart.

So true. If you're concentrating on holding in the fart, you're not putting 100% into pushing the weight!

I find having a good spot will help you get 2-3 more reps out, especially good for getting in some negatives at the end.

rc2002
10-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero

keeping perfect posture and form on your last rep you can harldy do isn't going to work, you'll end up sacrificing these things on your last reps to push through

+1. I stop when my form starts to deteriorate. It's not worth risking injury just for that last rep.

I laugh when I see those people arch their backs and their faces turn red when they try to push for the last rep while benching.

zipdoa
10-13-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Marsh
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Marsh

Try thinking of something that really pisses you off... or a situation you've been in where you're scared as fuck/adrenaline was pumping. I find if I can get myself into that mindset I get the adrenaline going a bit, and I can push a bit more.