PDA

View Full Version : UPS- is this normal?

Melinda
10-10-2008, 03:01 PM
My dad's birthday is next month and my mom ordered him a large gift from the US. Because it was due to arrive before his birthday, mom had it sent to my place. So the UPS guy rang my doorbell this afternoon and I was in my kitchen (maybe 10 steps from the door). By the time I was able to walk to the door and open it, the guy had already dropped the box on the step, ran back to his truck and was driving away.

I checked the box and it says 54 pounds on it. I'm 8 months pregnant and there's no way in hell I could safely lift that into my house. I'm actually pretty pissed that he ran off so quickly, as I really could have used the help to get it inside, at least into the front door. What happens if he delivered that to some 90 year old widow?

So is it regular practice for UPS to drop the box, ding the bell and run? Seems a little off to me, especially for something that weighs so much. :dunno:

Thaco
10-10-2008, 03:04 PM
yep, they're not allowed to step foot in your house, liability issue.

Also, expect a BIG bill in the mail in the next couple weeks for the duty/customs

BerserkerCatSplat
10-10-2008, 03:06 PM
You're lucky he actually rang the doorbell, the last two times I had a heavy package delivered they didn't ring or knock, they just left a door tag and drove off.

black13
10-10-2008, 03:10 PM
well unless the sender says a signature is required when delivered then he can do that.

Xtrema
10-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Did we all get the same guy or just UPS policy? Ring the bell, wait 5s, out of there.

I missed it twice, 2 days in a roll. I missed it on the 1st try and I was taking a dump on the 2nd.

Supa Dexta
10-10-2008, 03:41 PM
"I'm in here, come on in, don't worry about your shoes!" ^:rofl:

hampstor
10-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I've never had UPS just leave a box at my door unless i've signed the liability waiver for them to leave it on my doorstep.

They leave the waybill on my door saying either they'll be back tomorrow, or to pickup at their depot on 12th Avenue NE :dunno:

Originally posted by black13
well unless the sender says a signature is required when delivered then he can do that.

I checked the UPS waybills here and onlnie, there is no box that say 'Check here if delivery signature required' - so signatures should be required for all deliveries. I know ExpressPost has the signature option, and I've had ExpressPost parcels left on my doorstep before.

kenny
10-10-2008, 04:30 PM
UPS dropped off a package from VW (a Fast) without any signature the other day. The delivery person was nice enough to hide it under a bunch of flyers so no one would jack it.

Rat Fink
10-10-2008, 04:34 PM

FiveFreshFish
10-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
yep, they're not allowed to step foot in your house, liability issue.

Is this for residences only? They enter our office and drop boxes off beside the receptionist.

clem24
10-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Canada Post does this too.. Rings the door bell, dump the package, don't even bother waiting the 5 secs, then jet.

Re. UPS charges, they've been getting slighlty more reasonable. I think there was a class action filed against them for their fees, so they've lowered them. Not as bad as before but still higher than what Canada Post would charge.

RX_EVOLV
10-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by kenny
UPS dropped off a package from VW (a Fast) without any signature the other day. The delivery person was nice enough to hide it under a bunch of flyers so no one would jack it.

:werd: I ordered a pair of shoes online, and the UPS guy was nice enough to use my floor mat to hide the shoes underneath so it wont get stolen... except he sort of hid it too well and I didnt realize it was there unlike 2 days later when i was standing by my mailbox bitching about where the hell are my shoes...

Fusion
10-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
You're lucky he actually rang the doorbell, the last two times I had a heavy package delivered they didn't ring or knock, they just left a door tag and drove off.

Same here but just my shoes. Lucky i got home early or else someone might steal it

sevewone
10-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
"I'm in here, come on in, don't worry about your shoes!" ^:rofl:

hahaha:rofl:

Kloubek
10-21-2008, 09:52 PM
At my business, we ship a ton of product to our customers. You're lucky you even had the doorbell ring... sometimes couriers just leave the package without even trying!

Bimmer88
10-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Its perfectly normal, and what's even more normal is getting a BIG bill for customs and duties... Thank-GOD I have a commercial account with them.

Senseiz
10-21-2008, 10:53 PM
I ordered tires from tirerack - rims + rubber.

Sure enough, UPS left it on my front door.

I went on their website and the signature option is an additional ~$19.

bluetek
10-21-2008, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Senseiz
I ordered tires from tirerack - rims + rubber.

Sure enough, UPS left it on my front door.

I went on their website and the signature option is an additional ~$19.

How long did they take to arrive after you ordered? Im looking to order this weekend for this season.

bashir26
10-21-2008, 11:36 PM
DHL and Purolator actually knock on my door and wait for a signature.

Senseiz
10-21-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by bluetek

How long did they take to arrive after you ordered? Im looking to order this weekend for this season.

It took 10 days (calendar days)
Left Nevada on the 1st Oct.
Got to my door on Oct 10.

max_boost
10-22-2008, 12:31 AM
Yeah they must be on a mission or something because that seems to be the norm.