PDA

View Full Version : Dust cap stuck on tire air stem??

Civic Dy-lon
10-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Any tips or suggestions? my tire is low and i put on these stupid cheap "Tuner" dust caps on my tire stems and now there stuck on, i've tried a wrench but no go. im worried if i use a torch it will either just melt on more or mangle the brass tip on the inside. I will only have these tires on for the next week till i get my winters on, but i need to fill it up before then. donno what to do, tips or hints would be nice. thanks.

schocker
10-10-2008, 05:10 PM
if the are metal, perhaps heat them up somewhat and use pliers?

ga16i
10-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Grow a pair. hahaha :D

After that, try lubing it up, especially a foaming lube, that seems to penetrate better.

adam c
10-10-2008, 05:12 PM
if you apply too much pressure than your just clamping it down to the metal (assuming your caps are plastic)

use more torque

if they are metal just use a penetrating liquid

theken
10-10-2008, 05:52 PM
get a little pipe wrench

VetteRacin
10-10-2008, 07:14 PM
good luck with that, take a pair of vice grips and clamp them on the actual stem and they use something else on the metal cap, it works

sr20s14zenki
10-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Heat it with a lighter, and then try to get it off. the heat should cause it to expand just enough to get it off the threads. if that doesnt work, use a good penetrating lube and leave it over night, then heat it again, and try

EvolutionI
10-10-2008, 08:33 PM
use two pliers yo!

one to hold the valve stem, one to turn the cap

ZMan2k2
10-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Use your teeth!!

jk, the above suggestion is the best though. You'll need the leverage you can get with two pairs of pliers. Just make sure there is a solid grip in the cap, or you could really mess things up.

rockshoxbiker
10-11-2008, 10:24 AM
try wrapping an elastic band around it and using the pliers.

You could try to tighten for 1/16 of a turn and then it would break the seal on the threads and then loosen it off

Ichigo
10-11-2008, 10:45 AM
avoid squeezing the cap with pliars. See if you can find one of those reverse socket things. tap it onto the plastic cap and turn. make sure it bites good into the head or you'll strip the plastic. Or pay $10 at a tire place and get them to replace the whole stem for you. My friend's cap was siezed on his sisters car once and it was impossible to take it off. We had to get a new valvestem.