PDA

View Full Version : Mormons

Isaiah
10-10-2008, 07:49 PM
I was in Kensington today and I was approached by these 2 young guys with 'Latter day Saints' name tags. They asked if I have a few minutes to talk about Jesus, and, not wanting to be rude, I said OK.

So the one fella starts telling me that they're giving away bibles and that I can have one and I should read it and pray about it. OK. I took the bible and then he asked for my phone number and address. Not OK.

They asked what time would be good to come over and talk about Jesus and I told them I usually get home from work around 6 and I'm not usually home on weekends.

"How about tomorrow after 6, does that work?" they asked.

I told them tomorrow's not good because I'm having a poker night and they didn't reply.

Has anyone actually talked at length with these people before and how did it go?

Eleanor
10-10-2008, 07:51 PM
My buddy was drunk at a party and told them he was gay and donated blood. That didn't go over well :rofl:

88jbody
10-10-2008, 07:51 PM
my father in law did one time, he knew the bible 10x better then they did, actually had them make excuse to leave when they were schooled at their own game

Tik-Tok
10-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Has anyone actually talked at length with these people before and how did it go?

My father-in-law does all the time, he's a pretty friendly person, but gets a kick out of stringing them along.

calgarys_finest
10-10-2008, 08:25 PM
i feel bad not talking to them except one time i answered the door in my underware and they never came back:dunno:

Rat Fink
10-10-2008, 08:35 PM

revelations
10-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Ask a LDS about the historicity of the boM and then ask them to compare that to the bible.

From an archeological stand point, the bible is generally verified in its accuracy whereas the boM is not.

And no, that doesent mean the earth is 6000 years old :rolleyes:

LadyLuck
10-10-2008, 08:57 PM
So did you actually give them your address?

TC2002
10-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Did you tell them that your beyond username was Isaiah? :D

pinoyhero
10-10-2008, 09:25 PM
^ lol, give Krakauers, Under the Banner of Heaven a read...

97'Scort
10-10-2008, 10:51 PM
There are Mormons, and other Mormons. I have friends back home who I didn't even know were Mormons for years. Not all of them do the rounds every week, just the one following.

Isaiah
10-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by LadyLuck
So did you actually give them your address?

I felt guilty after talking to them for a few minutes and taking a free bible. So I gave them my ex's address.

heinz256
10-11-2008, 01:14 AM
Funny southpark episode on mormons

http://www.southparkzone.com/episodes/712/All-about-the-Mormons?.html

Pollywog
10-11-2008, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by heinz256
Funny southpark episode on mormons

http://www.southparkzone.com/episodes/712/All-about-the-Mormons?.html

Sorry to hijack, but just to inform everyone, every episode of southpark is available for free viewing at comedycentral.ca for canadian viewers.

heinz256
10-11-2008, 01:39 AM
^^same with the link I just posted^^

A790
10-11-2008, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Ask a LDS about the historicity of the boM and then ask them to compare that to the bible.

From an archeological stand point, the bible is generally verified in its accuracy whereas the boM is not.

And no, that doesent mean the earth is 6000 years old :rolleyes:
Religion is religion, and I think it's hilarious how everyone squabbles about the menial differences between them.

Oh, and how was the bible's accuracy verified? Just curious.

dezmarez
10-11-2008, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by A790

Oh, and how was the bible's accuracy verified? Just curious.

by non-christian historians saying the same things the bible is saying

Isaiah
10-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by dezmarez

Can you elaborate on specifics? I think what he was asking was how has the existence of God was independently verified, which it has not been.

spikerS
10-11-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Can you elaborate on specifics? I think what he was asking was how has the existence of God was independently verified, which it has not been.

i lost my faith for this very reason.

People say the bible is verified, but what is funny, is they use another part of the bible to verify it. or use landmarks and crap. well any con man can do this. watch...

while leading my deciples through the mountain valley that the 3 sisters reside in, along the river to the village of Banff, i healed a leper, and he praised my name, and it was good!

nothing in the bible is proven. lawyers convert to this and say they have verified it, but never say to what or how?

and to say god / allah / buddah or what ever lets everything happen for a reason, bullshit, that is juat a cop out the weak use when they can't come up with more bullshit.

Nissanaddict
10-11-2008, 11:45 AM
When I lived at my parents, they stopped coming for a while, because the parents weren't home, it was just me and my grandma. I answered the door with a beer. My grandma came to see who it was (she was probably 88 or even 90 at the time) and she had a beer in her hand too. I said they should come in, and they said they didn't have time.

Another time, I was at my brother's place waiting for him and his girlfriend to get home. I thought I'd buy some beer while I'm waiting. On the way back, some mormons stop me, and I pulled the line from that video: "Are you interested in atheism?"

sh0ko
10-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
One of my mormon friends had the missionaries come to his door. He strung them along and talked them into helping with drywalling my friends basement. Then my friend told them he was mormon. He thanked them and they left just a wee bit ticked. :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A790
10-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by dezmarez

Please, elaborate. I'm genuinely interested. :)

Pacman
10-11-2008, 11:56 AM
If approached by Mormons on their mission, I usually give them a few minutes. I like to find out where they are from, and perhaps ask a few questions about their country/city just in case they are from a place I may want to visit sometime.

I then politely inform them that I belong to the "Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster" and follow the Pastafarian faith.

jdmakkord
10-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Pacman
If approached by Mormons on their mission, I usually give them a few minutes. I like to find out where they are from, and perhaps ask a few questions about their country/city just in case they are from a place I may want to visit sometime.

I then politely inform them that I belong to the "Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster" and follow the Pastafarian faith.

I've answered the door with no shirt on, carrying a beer. I have very noticeable tattoo's on my chest, abs and shoulder all of which are related to my culture and religion(sikhism). They kept blabbing on for a while, and I asked them if they would pay for laser tattoo removal, and alcohol/sex addiction classes....they turned right around and walked away.
:bigpimp:

ScottysZ
10-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by A790

Please, elaborate. I'm genuinely interested. :)

I got this one dezmarez, in the bible they talk about historical figures who were known to have actually existed through independent records (ex: king herod), therefore everything else that they say about parting of the seas, bloody rivers, chariots of fire, giant fish swallowing people, talking snakes, asexual women, and hercules type dudes with magical hair must be true. The book of mormon doesnt contain all of these true facts. Case closed.

Genjuro
10-11-2008, 12:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT2cIpzMDY4

Isaiah
10-11-2008, 01:43 PM
^ Gold.

Eleanor
10-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Genjuro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT2cIpzMDY4
:rofl: Solid!

I'm just embedding it here:
ZT2cIpzMDY4

revelations
10-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Some examples of biblical archeology include:

- walls of Jericho
- king Hezekiah's tunnels
- dozens of buried old testament-time cities now excavated

Notable figures that are referenced extra-biblically:

- High priest at Jesus' trial - Caiaphas
- Pontius Pilate
- King Ahab and Jezebel

(the works of Josephus and Tacitus are in some debate about the historicity of Jesus, otherwise I wouldve mentioned them here)

Isaiah
10-11-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't think it's the archeology or historic existence of the biblical characters that's in dispute. It's the existence of God himself.

revelations
10-11-2008, 08:27 PM
There are a lot of people think that the bible is purely prose.

TurboD
10-11-2008, 08:52 PM
just because it was a story that used real living people as part of the story... even if jesus was a real person, which i believe he was, this does NOT mean that he was in anyway devine.

there is no proof he is the son of god, and as for the miracles, even today much larger crowds witness what they believe to be miracles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sathya_Sai_Baba

he had millions of people show up to his birthday.

i think you can see where im going with this.

does anyone know where i can sign up to have a mormon come over and chat?

Kloubek
10-11-2008, 09:17 PM
My father knew a mormon family several years ago. They came over for coffee or something once, and latched onto me - someone who they felt was young and impressionable I suppose. Anyway, they would come almost weekly for several months, and supply me with new "literature", such as how I should let God into my life, and the wicked dangers of masturbation.

Anyway, I got to the point with my father we were nearly tearing each other's throats out, and decided one day I was going to move out. In the middle of a fight with my father, they decide to show up. I open the door, and they have these typical smiles on their faces, collecting the propaganda they are planning on giving me. I simply just slammed the door in their faces and walked downstairs.

I felt bad - they just caught me at a bad time. But in the end, it was fine. I self-justified it that they were so intent on "converting"me, without any interest or inquiry by me, that they probably deserved it anyway for wasting my time nearly every weekend...

Vagabond142
10-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Be very careful throwing around the word "archaeology." A lot of us archaeologists take a very dim view towards "biblical archaeology" unless it is done under very strict guidelines, which a lot isn't.

I think the only real archaeological site that coincides with biblical scripture are the Walls of Jericho.

That aside, if I see them coming and I'm at home, I always answer the door naked. If they try to approach me on the street and it's two guys, i will wait until they are within reach and then hug one of them, just hug, make sure I do it slowly and non threatening. They are completely baffled by that :P

Vagabond142
10-11-2008, 11:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwpRHbWoTRE

Christian dude pwns mormons. o_O And man, he is LOGICAL about it. O_o

D'z Nutz
10-11-2008, 11:09 PM
If we locked some Mormons and Amway people in a room together, I wonder what the outcome would be.

Kavy
10-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
If we locked some Mormons and Amway people in a room together, I wonder what the outcome would be.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You think mormons would have better luck if they also tried to sell cutco knives during their missions?

Melinda
10-12-2008, 01:26 AM
You know, I've found it REALLY depends on who you talk to. One of my best friends is mormon. He chose the path for himself (his parents aren't religious at all, they actually used to own a bar, but they're really supportive of their son's choice) and although he went on his mission, he is the LAST person you would ever hear trying to mercilessly "convert" someone to his religion. Case in point, he was the quarterback to a two year undefeated football team in high school. Needless to say, there was an all out drunkfest every weekend. He went to every one of them, despite not being a drinker and it was never an issue. So long as no one bothered him for not drinking, he didn't bug anyone else about their life choices. I think every bible thumper out there should be like this.

On the flip side, we have a family member who is also mormon. He actually told my athiest husband that he is going to be a horrible husband and father because we are not raising our family in the mormon church. Let's just say that after that comment, he's lucky he's still alive. Not sure which one of us wanted to hurt him more after hearing something like that. Power to anyone who wants to subscribe to whatever belief system/religion they choose, but people like him are EVERYTHING that is wrong with what our household affectionately calls the "cult mindset".

I do disagree with them going door to door with it though. I think it's everyone's choice what they do, and perching on your front step insistantly preeching that their chosen way of life is better than yours is awful. My dad gets really mean with these guys when they come to his door. I try to be nice about telling them thanks but no thanks, but I have a short temper and if they are going to push me, they'll be sorry they chose to venture up my walk, just like a door to door salesman or a telemarketer. If I was interested in the crap you're selling (and yes, these guys are selling religion) then I would go to your facility and learn more or find a number to call. Until then, leave me alone.

DUBBED
10-12-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm a firm believer in free speech.

Mormans (or any other religious person for that matter) have a right to tell me about all of their beliefs and what they think of me just as long as they accept the fact that I have just as much right to tell them that I think religion is a complete load of shit and to get the hell of my front step.

Rat Fink
10-12-2008, 10:34 PM

Isaiah
10-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Not really sure that's a valid comparison.

Kavy
10-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
Not all mormons push their beleif on others.

Did you know approximately 20% of the people from Lethbridge to the US border are mormon?

10% of lethbridge is mormon. Raymond, Magrath, Sterling, Cardston are almost entirely mormon towns.

Calgary has approximately 35,000 mormons. Do you have droves of mormons knocking on your door all day? no?....so maybe they don't all do that.

I agree, the missionary thing really sucks ass because it gives the impression every mormon is hell bent on converting others.

Do all muslims strap explosives and bags of nails to their chest before going to the store? no? ...so maybe they don't all do that either.

Your comparison fails.

TurboD
10-13-2008, 12:07 AM
mormonism was an officially racist organization until 1979

until that date, you could not be a decon or elder in the church if you were black.

wiki:

brigham young (He was the president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) from 1847 until his death)

what brigham young taught:

Young was a vehement opponent of inter-racial marriage, and blacks holding the priesthood.

Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so.[40]

You see some classes of the human family that are black, uncouth, uncomely, disagreeable and low in their habits, wild, and seemingly deprived of nearly all the blessings of the intelligence that is generally bestowed upon mankind....Cain slew his brother. Cain might have been killed, and that would have put a termination to that line of human beings. This was not to be, and the Lord put a mark upon him, which is the flat nose and black skin. Trace mankind down to after the flood, and then another curse is pronounced upon the same race-that they should be the "servant of servants;" and they will be, until that curse is removed; and the Abolitionists cannot help it, nor in the least alter that decree. How long is that race to endure the dreadful curse that is upon them? That curse will remain upon them, and they never can hold the Priesthood or share in it until all the other descendants of Adam have received the promises and enjoyed the blessings of the Priesthood and the keys thereof.[41]

If the Government of the United States, in Congress assembled, had the right to pass an anti-polygamy bill, they had also the right to pass a law that slaves should not be abused as they have been; they had also a right to make a law that negroes should be used like human beings, and not worse than dumb brutes. For their abuse of that race, the whites will be cursed, unless they repent.[42]

this man was the ROOTS of mormonism

and the person who authored the book of mormon and "the book of abraham" was joseph smith, and he was found to be a fraud.
both the book of mormon and the book of abraham are both 100% fraud with proof

this is the proof
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcyzkd_m6KE

Isaiah
10-13-2008, 12:16 AM
This one's better. It's a cartoon!

zy0d1HbItOo&feature=related

Isaiah
10-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Note the similarities to this Scientology piece:

FW1YgxkC1Oc

D'z Nutz
10-13-2008, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah
This one's better. It's a cartoon!

... Fighting for the right,
Fighting with his might,
With the strength of ten
Ordinary men...

Xamim
10-13-2008, 01:22 AM
"Endless celestial sex":poosie:

Masked Bandit
10-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Ah you know what, these guys don't bother me anymore. You get a couple of clean cut kids walking around staying out of trouble. When I was that age I was doing nothing but starting shit and making trouble. These guys aren't doing anyone any harm. I just try to be polite but firm with them and they leave me alone.

kertejud2
10-13-2008, 08:49 AM
More John Saffran on mormons (his fake mormon movie trailer)

AVWieQ0_RGw