PDA

View Full Version : Accident outside Shawnessy Co-Op

2EFNFAST
10-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Did anybody see it?

What happened was some old 90yr old guy was parked in a handicap spot, thought he was in park (when he was in reverse), got confused between the brake and gas pedal and nailed the gas pedal.

Rammed backwards into the car behind him, then panicked and managed to put his car in drive (still confusing brake and gas) and rammed everybody infront of him.

:rofl:

Then the first guy he hit apparently was able to stop him from ramming more people.

I was listening to the police talking with him - turns out he was near deaf and had some vision impairment problems (i.e., could barely see what was infront of him)

Crazy old fvck :nut:

TC2002
10-10-2008, 09:01 PM
:eek:

Horrible for the old guy. Poor guy must feel so awful...

I feel bad for laughing when reading this, but it just sounds so comedic by the way that you wrote it...

Mibz
10-10-2008, 09:07 PM
What's comedic is that he'll be keeping his license.

cjay^
10-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by TC2002
:eek:

Horrible for the old guy. Poor guy must feel so awful...

He probably doesn't even know it happened.

vipstyle2
10-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Poor guy , id probably be laughing my ass off if I were there, but id still be the first to help him out .

vipstyle2
10-10-2008, 09:41 PM
I remember last year I was walking to Cardel place and was just infront of the 40 plus condo's, and so im walking across the road where people pull out onto Country village road and I make eye contact with the driver,I never noticed but he just kept creeping up , all a sudden im basically sitting on his hood thinking wtf listening to my ipod he kept driving slowly it was the most akward wierdest thing and all I kept doing was laughing, he gave me the dirtiest look but it was just too funny ! dang old people lol ...what a jackass

2EFNFAST
10-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
What's comedic is that he'll be keeping his license.

Hard to say - the police woman charged him with impaired driving.

What's funny was that she was reading him his ?rights? (it was some card) and he kept staring at her, and every time she'd say 'do you understand' he'd just ignore her and every so often say 'I'm deaf, I can't hear you, speak louder'.

So eventually she gave up and gave him the card to read, at which point he was like 'Why do I want to read this? I didn't do anything wrong, I just had a little accident' :rofl:

badatusrnames
10-11-2008, 12:30 AM
They really need to retest every two years after 65...

Stealth22
10-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Hard to say - the police woman charged him with impaired driving.

What's funny was that she was reading him his ?rights? (it was some card) and he kept staring at her, and every time she'd say 'do you understand' he'd just ignore her and every so often say 'I'm deaf, I can't hear you, speak louder'.

So eventually she gave up and gave him the card to read, at which point he was like 'Why do I want to read this? I didn't do anything wrong, I just had a little accident' :rofl:

And some people on Beyond (myself included) are thinking about joining the CPS... :facepalm:

:rofl:

SilverBoost
10-11-2008, 03:59 PM
I doubt anyone who would find this funny would still see the humour if it was their car he smashed into. Or maybe what would have made this even funnier is if he had mowed down some kids walking behind the car or even killed someone. Luckily that wasn't the case.

If you can't drive, then you shouldn't be behind the wheel. It's bad enough with all the idiots they give a license to to begin with, let alone trying to dodge the morons that should be surrendering theirs because they've lost their ability to do it.

itrVTEC
10-11-2008, 03:59 PM
i know some seniors at the age of 85+ have never taken a drivers test in their life. My grandpa who turned 90 this year was told he had to take one, he passed with flying colors, but told me it was his first drivers test in his life.

Masked Bandit
10-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Well, FWIW, insurance usually gets these guys before their license would ever get pulled. I'm guessing this guy has had a few parking lot incidents over the last few years and after three or four events, his rates would be well over $5000 a year. Most of the oldies that we get that have this happen just quit driving.

dannie
10-13-2008, 09:13 AM
I was told years ago that there are two things that will seriously hurt a senior. 1. Putting them in a home 2. Taking away their drivers licence.

It's about freedom. A lot of them will not give up their licence when they should because they don't think they are an issue. Look at the guy that had the accident. He told the cop that it was just a little accident when it really wasn't.

Generally speaking, if you have a class 5 licence and you are healthy, you have to do a medical when you are 75. The problem is that the doctor RARELY asks for a road test to be done. If the doctors made a little bit of an effort, things would be different.

Mibz
10-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by dannie
I was told years ago that there are two things that will seriously hurt a senior. 1. Putting them in a home 2. Taking away their drivers licence. If you love something, let it go. If it complains too much then put it in a different home.

blazzer
10-13-2008, 10:51 AM
frik thats stupid, older people after a certain(possibly like 75 howit is now) age they should have there license renwed evey year(bassicly by a sereis of test like hearing eye exams and a few basic road test to see if tehy can still drive properly. would deffently stop thinkgs like this happending cant imagine how much $ worth of damage was done to his car + other cars he hit

+ what if it was a person walking behind him would have flot out owned them

dannie
10-13-2008, 11:29 AM
As it stands now, there are four ways a person would have to go on a road test.

1. The doctor requests it
2. You have a medical condition that could be an issue
3. You get suspended for a medical condition and have to reapply for a licence
4. Registry Agent requests one.

So, going through it one by one, heres how it works.

1.At the age of 75, all people HAVE to go to the doctor for a medical. It is the doctors responsibility to check off the box at the bottom that says "Do you recommend a road test?" 99% of doctors dont. They choose no. If the doctor made an actual effort to determine whether someone needs a road test, many more people would have to do one.

2. As an example, if you are on oxygen for at least 8 hours a day, you are required to undergo a road test to make sure you can drive while on oxygen. This happens once. I think this one should be done at least once every two years.

3. ie: if you have a seizure and the emergency room physician does his job, your drivers licence will be suspended. You are unable to drive for 6-12 months. In order to get the licence back, you have to do a road test.

4. If a person walks into a registry office and the clerk is able to determine that the client should not be driving, (slurring, cant walk properly, cant remember things like their address), the clerk is able to send a letter to driver fitness and monitoring to ask for a follow up. That portion of the gov will follow up with the clerks request and get information from the clients doctor.

Those are the 4 main reasons people would have to go on a road test. Other than letting your licence lapse for 3 years or having a dui. Our province is way too soft on this sort of thing.

soloracer
10-13-2008, 11:32 AM
The thing to realize is that the day is coming for each and every one of us when we will have to surrender our drivers license due to our declining abilities. Speaking for myself that will be a very depressing day as being a car guy means enjoying the drive as much as getting from A to B.

Supa Dexta
10-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I was half a dozen vehicles back of this car the other day going out to st albert. Leaving edmonton, it kind of dies out and looks like you are leaving the city for a couple mins, before st.albert starts. So this guy was driving along and got to that point, he slowed to about 20kph, for a minute.. then completely stopped..

We all go around him and its this really old guy looking around like he doesn't know where he's at... So he just gave up and stopped.. :nut:

2EFNFAST
10-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Looks like the old fvck got his license back and moved, lol

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/How-to-turn-a-speeding_190301.htm

adidas
10-16-2008, 10:28 PM
3-4 weeks ago a east indian woman hit 5 vehicles in the parking lot of superstore in the far NE.

That is why i park as far away from everyone else! ;)

403Gemini
10-17-2008, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Well, FWIW, insurance usually gets these guys before their license would ever get pulled. I'm guessing this guy has had a few parking lot incidents over the last few years and after three or four events, his rates would be well over $5000 a year. Most of the oldies that we get that have this happen just quit driving.

Or they just dont insure.... :thumbsdow