PDA

View Full Version : LF: Shops That Can Professionally Aim My Headlights

jay.low
10-11-2008, 10:35 AM
I've read the threads and write-ups on aiming your own headlights, which I plan to do tonight, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a shop in Calgary that has a beamsetter or something of the sort to aim them perfectly.

funkedelic2
10-12-2008, 07:39 PM
do you have auto leveling headlights? I don't know what happened to mine on my car, they point straight down at the ground and get no distance. I have no idea how that would happen either.

jay.low
10-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Mine aren't auto leveling, as much as I wish they were. I've managed to get them to point somewhat at the ground, but it would be nice to get them dead on so that I'm not blinding people as I drive.

Funkedelic2, do you know of any shops in Lethbridge? My parents own a house there, so sometimes I'm in town. Not sure if this would increase my options, but it's worth a shot. I haven't seen any BMW's in Lethbridge. It must be nice to be one of the few to drive one there.

funkedelic2
10-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by jay.low
Mine aren't auto leveling, as much as I wish they were. I've managed to get them to point somewhat at the ground, but it would be nice to get them dead on so that I'm not blinding people as I drive.

Funkedelic2, do you know of any shops in Lethbridge? My parents own a house there, so sometimes I'm in town. Not sure if this would increase my options, but it's worth a shot. I haven't seen any BMW's in Lethbridge. It must be nice to be one of the few to drive one there.

There aren't a lot of shops that like to work on BMW's. I think i might just take it into the dealer, but i am going to do some research and see if i can fix it myself or get an idea of why they aren't leveling anymore. There are BMW's here, lots of nice ones actually, but its nice having one that stands out a lot :D

Keep me updated if you fix your issue

blitz
10-12-2008, 08:57 PM
I think the autoleveling function has a sensor on the front and rear control arms. See if one of them has slipped out of place.

DC328is
10-12-2008, 08:58 PM
you broke the sensor when u tried to install suspension.

or the shop broke it.

RickDaTuner
10-12-2008, 09:03 PM
any shop that does OOP inspections should have one, if all else fails and you willing to take a short drive, I can help you out

jay.low
10-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll just go visit my dad's mechanic, he was the one that did the OOP when I got the car.

jay.low
10-13-2008, 02:40 PM
While I'm on the subject of headlights... Does anyone know where to grab some LaminX, or something really close in either Calgary or Lethbridge? I'd prefer something pre-cut for an e36. I went to Auto Value, and large generic sheets are running $50+, while other people seem to be getting precut sheets for around $20+.

97'Scort
10-13-2008, 03:13 PM
You can order LaminX from bavtoys.com. The guy that runs it is Canadian, so he'll ship it so it doesn't have GST/Duty owing at your door.

As for how to aim your headlights, park on a level road at night, with an allen wrench, and pop the hood. Then adjust the light so the cutoff would hit the road about 100 feet away. That's pretty standard for low beams.

jay.low
10-13-2008, 03:28 PM
I was really hoping for a local store so I can just drive over and pick it up. Kinda not wanting to wait on shipping. Snow is due anytime now, which means road sanding is also due anytime now. Really don't want to chip/pit them especially since I just got them on.

97'Scort
10-13-2008, 05:19 PM
You can't wait a week?

jay.low
10-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Sorry... I just thought someone might know where to grab them locally. At any rate, I've already fired an email at some of online shops.

88jbody
10-13-2008, 06:15 PM
if you are in the north
harvest hills ceritgard has a good headlight aimer
they are in the complex behind the flight deck on harvest hills Blvd.
403-226-9933
m-f 7:30-5

jay.low
10-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks 88jbody. I can probably drop by there on my way home tomorrow.