PDA

View Full Version : Housing arrangements

Gibson
10-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Just curious as to what kind of stats there are about students and student housing.

Also, include reasons why, because I'm writing an article and need quotes.

Thanks!

flipstah
10-13-2008, 12:42 AM
I live at home with my parents during my university tenure.

I was raised to take care of my parents till the end and if that means staying at home to help them out any way I can, then so be it.

Of course I'd move once I'm done and ready to venture on but I'll still be there for them.

When my parents went to university, they got through school through their siblings; oldest one starts then after they graduate, they help pay for the younger sibling's tuition and so on. With a family of 4+ kids (both my father and mother's side are BIG families), it's the only way that my grandparents can get everyone through school. It's this kind of symbiosis that is basically non-existent in Canadian society. Moving out at 18 is unheard of in the Philippines and mostly Asian countries as we work together to help one another. It's how my parents got through the tough times.

Right now, they're paying for my tuition, car, housing... Basically everything. All they ask in return is for me to graduate and to provide a financially stable life for my parents and for my brother.

I believe that through this, my family is closer than ever and it's more economical to do it this way. They are willing to help me out in any way they can, until they still can and I'm grateful for that.

That's why I still live at home. :)

FiveFreshFish
10-13-2008, 01:00 AM
I voted "own your own house."

That redundant isn't it?

toyboy88
10-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
I voted "own your own house."

That redundant isn't it?

I think the OP meant in your current situation, of course 99% of people WANT to own their own house, but he's talking students as of now.

I live @ home with my parents, since I don't work enough hours (because I want more time myself to "focus" on school work, etc) to cover the cost of living to be living alone.

That being said, if I could I would rent a place probably with one of my friends who want to do the same, to start living more independently and with more "freedom" so to speak.