PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Politics Question

flipstah
10-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Hey everyone!

Since the election is tomorrow, I thought I'd brush up on my Canadian politics. With that in mind, certain silly questions popped up in my head:

- Can a PM lose their specific riding (Stephen Harper losing Calgary SW) and still win the overall election? Vice versa as well, if a PM loses the overall election but wins their riding, does he/she keep the alderman position?

- What happens if, on some divine fluke, an actual tie happens between two leaders?

- Can a former Governor General run for Prime Minister?

If anyone has any more silly questions, post it and we'll see if someone can answer it.

Happy Thanksgiving! And vote tomorrow. *gobble gobble*

01RedDX
10-13-2008, 08:12 PM

Gainsbarre
10-13-2008, 08:17 PM
1. The prime minister actaully deosn't even need a seat in the house of commons (as was the case with John Turner when he was PM). What almost always always happens though is that an MP of the PM's party that was elected would step down in a "safe seat" (one that the government is virtually guaranteed to win) and the prime minister would run for that seat in a byelection.

2. The incumbent would retain power, as long as no other party hold more seats than them.

3. I think so but I am not sure about this.

My question: what will happen to independent candidates if proportional representation is introduced?

flipstah
10-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
What will happen to independent candidates if proportional representation is introduced?

I too would like to know how would this work. Would they have to be absorbed by a party or do they gather all independents into one category and just award seats based on their popularity in their respective riding?

vc-kev
10-13-2008, 10:30 PM
Independents don't traditionally exist in a proportional electoral system, as technically they would be their own party and not stand a chance of getting enough votes to win a seat. This is further complicated by the fact that all proportional systems have a minimum cutoff to get a seat, usually around 2 - 5 % of total vote. Although none of this matters as Canada will never likely change the current system as it favors all the parties that have any power and influence in the government. Plus in Canada proportional representation would be very ineffective limp-wristed government as it would be similar to Italy which since the second world war has had 61 different governments due to constant minority elections lead to shaky alliances between parties, think liberal + bloc government, how long would it last? two months? 6 months?

flipstah
10-13-2008, 10:55 PM
You learn something new everyday.

For Canada, what are the key provinces for parties to focus on? Obviously Ontario and Quebec but other than those two, what province/s can help a party get an advantage in the polls?

vc-kev
10-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Ontario is the main province as it has over 100 seats and is majority liberal but minority conservative and ndp grab seats here and there, Quebec is seeing a resurgence of the bloc, so BC and Alberta is where important seats will be won.

flipstah
10-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by vc-kev
...Quebec is seeing a resurgence of the bloc

I thought separation was off their minds already. Why does Quebec have this mentality that they need to be their own country?

so BC and Alberta is where important seats will be won.

Well Alberta is basically a blue country but do you think that'll change? I don't think so.

badatusrnames
10-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

I thought separation was off their minds already. Why does Quebec have this mentality that they need to be their own country?

Some vote bloc not with the interest of separation, but for the interests of their province within Canada.

vc-kev
10-13-2008, 11:36 PM
The bloc have eased their rhetoric in the past few years and are now more mainstream in Quebec, and many Qubecois view them as the best party as they put the interests of Quebec first and for most. You might be thinking of the PQ, the provincial separatist party in Quebec, and is very different than the bloc as the only run in the Quebec provincial elections and are the ones that wants Quebec to separate.

Alberta was less blue than usual in the last election, and if that trend continues the torys could lose some seats, especially in Calgary and Edmonton where some voters may like intellectualism of the liberals or just dislike their tory candidate *cough* Rob Anders *cough*

*I'd just like to say, I'm not big into Canadian politics, I study international politics so don't take anything I say for fact as it's entirely possible I'm wrong. Although the Quebec thing is pretty familiar to me as both my parents are from Montreal and I have family there.*

flipstah
10-14-2008, 01:05 AM
Alberta was less blue than usual in the last election, and if that trend continues the torys could lose some seats, especially in Calgary and Edmonton where some voters may like intellectualism of the liberals...

So can I assume who you'll vote for later? ;)

As for me, I'll vote for Liberals because the Conservatives want to privatize the post office where my mom works. According to her, she'll lose her job and she is reluctant to vote for other parties because she loves what the Conservatives have done for her and that my mom thinks Stephen Harper is very sexy.

I personally wouldn't vote for the Liberals too becuase of the Green Shift platform but I think we'll have another minority government and judging with the current situation of the global economy, what better way to see Stéphane Dion crash and burn than in office.

I'm a Conservative by the way. :)

malcolmk14
10-14-2008, 07:54 AM
The Bloc should send candidates to Western Canada. I'm sure a lot of people here wouldn't mind seeing them separate.

JoniBoy
10-14-2008, 08:10 AM
^^Yeah I'd vote bloc :D

TYMSMNY
10-14-2008, 08:12 AM

I personally wouldn't vote for the Liberals too becuase of the Green Shift platform but I think we'll have another minority government and judging with the current situation of the global economy, what better way to see Stéphane Dion crash and burn than in office.

I really hope that Dion doesn't coming into office. They'll spend our way into a huge defecit y/y. Minority government again w/ Conservatives in the lead. NDP will pick up more seats this time around.

kertejud2
10-14-2008, 09:20 AM
You learn something new everyday.

For Canada, what are the key provinces for parties to focus on? Obviously Ontario and Quebec but other than those two, what province/s can help a party get an advantage in the polls?

Ontario and Quebec are the only provinces you really need to focus on. Gaining ground in Vancouver is possible for all parties really so the Lower Mainland would be the other place to focus on. All of the Reform/Canadian Alliance/CPC's efforts in the past 20 years has been to break into Ontario (and even Quebec).

Separation is hardly an issue anymore. The Bloc 'base' still has that mentality, but its really just the anti-Liberal vote nowadays. Quebec has enough seats that a large Bloc victory can influence parliament anyways, so voting for a party with only your well being at heart is actually effective (especially in a minority).

Well Alberta is basically a blue country but do you think that'll change? I don't think so.

THe only way it will change is if the CPC breaks apart again like the PC/Reform back in the early 90s. Or perhaps if the Liberals change their name, colour and politics.

That being said, in a PR system, Calgary and especially Edmonton wouldn't be all blue.

Supa Dexta
10-14-2008, 09:26 AM

So can I assume who you'll vote for later? ;)

As for me, I'll vote for Liberals

I personally wouldn't vote for the Liberalsat

I'm a Conservative by the way. :)

what?

flipstah
10-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

what?

Yeah, what I said seems confusing. Let me explain.

So I am a Conservative at heart. IMO, they have done an adequate job when they were in power. However, I have learned that they are planning to privatize the postal office, and if this goes through, my mother would lose her job. I would vote Conservative all the way but after learning this, I can't risk letting my mother lose her job so I voted for the Liberals today.

Does that make any sense? That's as clear as it'll get. :cry:

Eleanor
10-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Sorry, where'd you hear that they were privatizing the postal service? And don't say Toma or BigMass ;)

flipstah
10-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Sorry, where'd you hear that they were privatizing the postal service? And don't say Toma or BigMass ;)

My mom told me when she read it in their union flyer thingy.
I've been trying to ask her where she put it so I can fully read it but she can't find it.

I searched Google and here's what came up:

http://www.publicpostoffice.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/8975/la_id/1.htm

http://www.cupw.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/8943/la_id/1.htm

Eleanor
10-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Both of those articles are fairly old.

And I can't trust unions :dunno:

flipstah
10-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Here's a more recent one if it helps:

http://www.publicpostoffice.ca/index.cfm/ci_id/11276/la_id/1.htm