PDA

View Full Version : Winter BBQ!

A790
10-14-2008, 05:44 PM
HELL YES, Cam (me) just got a BBQ for the first time EVAR (since moving out of my parents place).

I can BBQ a steak... and that's it. What else is good to BBQ, and better yet, what are some good recipes/tips and tricks?

Oldskool
10-14-2008, 05:46 PM
If you have a BBQ that can has a rotisserie, you can always do rotisserie chicken or beef tenderloin:drool:

I don't have any recipes for my suggestions... but the way they're cooked, they have so much flavor and they're so moist:drool:

wasnt there a BBQ recipe thread on Beyond not too long ago?

bulaian
10-14-2008, 05:47 PM
burgers, chicken, salmon... you can bbq pretty much any type of meat

FreakinPrince
10-14-2008, 05:48 PM
chicken, fish, lamb chop, corn, veggies, burgers, all type of seafood

bufflo, lion, dog, cat, whale.... i kid

A790
10-14-2008, 05:52 PM
Okay, here's a question: how do I BBQ something without BBQing the shit out of it?

ExtraSlow
10-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Cedar plank salmon. Easy, tasty, impresses your friends.

Oldskool
Originally posted by A790
Okay, here's a question: how do I BBQ something without BBQing the shit out of it?
don't crank the heat!!!

I like bbq'in at a somewhat low heat (around 300-325) it take a little bit longer, but your food will cook throughout, and will not char the outter area

heres the beyond recipe thread!
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/224828/your-meat-rubs-sauces-for-bbq/

403ep3
eat it blue rare!

I love me beef! :bigpimp:

A790
10-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Oldskool

don't crank the heat!!!

I like bbq'in at a somewhat low heat (around 300-325) it take a little bit longer, but your food will cook throughout, and will not char the outter area

Golden, thanks!

inline6turbo
10-14-2008, 06:20 PM
*awaits recognition*

BlackArcher101
10-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Is this about BBQ'ing in general or BBQ'ing in winter?
Haven't seen much talking about winter yet... so I've got these few tips.

Keep the propane bottle warm. The colder the bottle gets, the less pressure you will have resulting in very little flow and low BTU/heat. Natural gas is the way to go for winter BBQ's (not including charcoal), otherwise, keep the propane tank in a warmer spot (garage), then bring it outdoors when you need it.

Otherwise, you can pretty much cook year round as long as you have a fair amount of BTU's to make up for the large heat loss. A normal el cheapo will take forever to heat up and cook anything.

A790
10-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
*awaits recognition*
Oh yes, Renee built the BBQ :)

inline6turbo
10-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by A790

Oh yes, Renee built the BBQ :)

Das right!:D

l/l/rX
10-14-2008, 07:25 PM
you had to get a GIRL to build a MAN's toy?

shame on you. you clearly do not deserve a bbq.

its like us working on our cars. would you say to your wife "hey, this wknd you're gonna put in the turbo for me right? thanks love you long time"

hehe i kid i kid

Kloubek
10-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Damn - I thought this was going to be a big BBQ Beyond meet.

You know this message board A790. In less than a dozen entries we can have your full name, address, place of work and arial photograph of your home and car.

Might as well just give in and throw a Beyond BBQ willingly. :)

inline6turbo
10-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

its like us working on our cars. would you say to your wife "hey, this wknd you're gonna put in the turbo for me right? thanks love you long time"

hehe i kid i kid

Yea but see if we were married, I could do that too :poosie:

:rofl:

Ok, to give him credit, he did help :)

A790
10-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Damn - I thought this was going to be a big BBQ Beyond meet.

You know this message board A790. In less than a dozen entries we can have your full name, address, place of work and arial photograph of your home and car.

Might as well just give in and throw a Beyond BBQ willingly. :)
I can edit each and every post to protect my super secret identity. ;)

As well, I work from home so I've already done half the work for you! haha.

Damn rights.

jdmXSI
10-14-2008, 08:32 PM
beer can chicken is always good;) very easy to make and it's quite tasty.

A790
10-15-2008, 10:46 AM
LOL I've had steak the last two nights in a row. Go me.

GQBalla
10-15-2008, 11:02 AM

hehe i kid i kid

Coming from the guy that takes his car in very everything cause he doesn't know how to change oil. Kekeke

Joking man

But back on track. Steak for two nights in a row is awesome. You should try to leave one side of the bbq on high heat while the other side is off. Let your meat sit on the other side and you'll have the most juicest non charred meat ever!

I learned it off of a show on the cookin ch...I don't remember what its called but its a black guy that grills amazing food.

I also read in mens health real men grill.

narou
10-15-2008, 11:03 AM
dude bbq your breakfast

l/l/rX
10-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

Coming from the guy that takes his car in very everything cause he doesn't know how to change oil. Kekeke

Joking man.

eh! i changed everything this wknd! except for the damn oil filter cuz its the wrong one. :guns: AND as bonus i put together our new bbq :D

malcolmk14
10-15-2008, 11:07 AM
that black dude on the food network's show is called license to grill. he's awesome, his food always looks amazing, and i love how he marinades and cooks everything for days.

"Ok, we're gonna take these ribs, and we're gonna rub them down with some paprika and mustard, and we're gonna let them marinade in the fridge for 96 hours. Then we're gonna take them out, throw them in the slow cooker at a low heat, and cook them for 48 hours."

Too bad by the time your food's done your stomach has already tried eating the rest of your organs because you're starving to death.

GQBalla
10-15-2008, 11:11 AM

eh! i changed everything this wknd! except for the damn oil filter cuz its the wrong one. :guns: AND as bonus i put together our new bbq :D

Newb. Even bought the wrong oil filter. So u changed the oil but kept in the old filter? qq.

Good finally got your pretty girly hands dirty

lelalong
10-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
beer can chicken is always good;) very easy to make and it's quite tasty.

thats what I was thinking...recipe is easy:

Heat up one burner of the BBQ.
Open one can of beer. Drink half.
Shove can of beer (with remaining beer) up chicken cavity
Sit chicken on cold side of bbq. Spread the legs so they support and balance the bird on the can.
Season surface of chicken. Close BBQ lid. Cook for about an hour. you can check it by shaking the leg. If it moves freely then its done. If you're not sure, buy a $5 meat thermometer and check the doneness by taking the temp of the thigh

you can season the beer in the can too (garlic, spices, etc) so it steams the flavour into the meat.

A790
10-15-2008, 11:32 AM

Hey, it was a joint effort between Renee and I. 50/40/10 (I forgot that Tomaz was part of the equation too).

sputnik
10-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Oldskool

don't crank the heat!!!

COMPLETELY wrong!

Steaks are to be done FAST. When I make a steak I crank the BBQ to as hot as it can go and drop it on the grill. 4 min on each side and I get the best steak ever.

Slow cooking a steak dries it out because you never properly sear the outside which traps the juices in.

The same goes for chicken breasts as well. Crank the heat and dont flip the chicken breasts until you get the char marks on them and the chicken no longer sticks to the grills.

inline6turbo
10-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

The same goes for chicken breasts as well. Crank the heat and dont flip the chicken breasts until you get the char marks on them and the chicken no longer sticks to the grills.

Ya if you want to get Samonella and DIE!

Lol

I bbq chicken 3-4 times a week, and the one thing you have to do is do it slowly to cook all the way through. If you crank the heat, once you get those nice little char marks, your inside is still completely raw! By the time you get the inside done, even if your slicing little breather cuts in it, your outside has the same flavour and texture as a lump of coal..

Slow, with some nice sauce, and youre golden

flipstah
10-15-2008, 11:53 AM
I usually BBQ kabobs and they turn out delicious for moi!

I just get those big tenderloins at T&T for ~$30, chop up what I need and store the rest in the freezer. Last me a couple of weeks with that big hunk of meat.

I usually marinate mine in 40/60 soy sauce/vinegar combo with some dried chili peppers and a bay leaf.

Comes out so soft and tender and you won't need any salt! While BBQ'ing, ketchup + sugar + sriracha hot sauce glaze = :drool:

TimG
10-15-2008, 12:19 PM
if you're doing chicken breasts, invest in a tenderizer and pound the breasts so they're a more consistent thickness.. about 1/2 - 3/4". this will give more uniform cooking.

the type of meat you cook will dictate if you're doing direct or indirect heat, etc. if you want the black grille marks, you need to sear the meat for a few min on each side and then turn the heat down.

get yourself a book on BBQ'ing. i have the Weber guide to BBQ'ing and along with recipes, it has rules of thumb and instructions on how to cook on the grille, how to avoid flare-ups, etc.

BTW: try bbq'ing some sliced pineapple. it's incredible :D

dawwgy
10-15-2008, 12:20 PM
indirect is the way to go in the winter ... do all your prep indoors and marinate overnight if possible (see my rub recipie in the other bbq thread) the beauty thing about indirect is that you dont have to tend to the meat in the cold weather ... just check every hour or so (depending on what it is you are cooking)

I reccomend:

Pork Tenderloin (about 1-1.5 hours indirect at 350 degrees)
Pork Ribs (~3 hours indirect)
Beef Roast (depending on size 2-4 hours)
Cedar Plank Salmon (~1 hour for a medium sized piece)

Oh and Hi Renee ... long time no talk ;)

TimG
10-15-2008, 12:26 PM
oh, another important thing is don't poke and prod the meat while it's cooking. all of the juices will escape and drip into the flame and cause flare-ups.

keep all of the juices inside the meat. when you take it off the grille give it 5-10 min to sit and re-absorb everything.

what kind of bbq did you get, anyway?

BlackArcher101
10-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Steaks are meant to be done fast and hot, like mentioned already. Crank that bitch as high as she will go, get the grill really really hot, then throw the steak on there for 1-2 minutes a side. Turn the heat down just a bit, then cook each side for 2-3 minutes longer (for med-rare and a somewhat thick steak).

Now, most just serve the steak right off the bbq... what you should be doing is wrapping it in tin foil and placing it onto a plate for about 5 minutes. This will prevent the juices from bleeding that would otherwise flood your entire dinner plate. Cut into it and you have a perfect steak. As for seasoning... I like the basics... montreal steak spice before the last flip and some beer poured on it everytime it's flipped.

Oldskool
10-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

COMPLETELY wrong!

Steaks are to be done FAST. When I make a steak I crank the BBQ to as hot as it can go and drop it on the grill. 4 min on each side and I get the best steak ever.

Slow cooking a steak dries it out because you never properly sear the outside which traps the juices in.

Maybe this works if you have thin ass steaks. I like thick steaks...if you crank heat on a thick steak you char the outside, even while cooking to medium rare.

CivicDXR
10-15-2008, 06:23 PM

kinda off topic, but as much as it probably isn't, this post looks like a "where is my fucking ring already?" :D

Supa Dexta
10-15-2008, 07:21 PM
I remember renting an old house back in college and we kept the BBQ inside the porch all winter.. Used it near daily.. :rofl:

inline6turbo
10-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR

kinda off topic, but as much as it probably isn't, this post looks like a "where is my fucking ring already?" :D

Oh my ummm :eek:

:facepalm:

JRSC00LUDE
10-15-2008, 08:02 PM

He can't even build a BBQ for crying out loud, how the hell is he going to know what to do with a woman? :rofl:

ercchry
10-15-2008, 08:09 PM
first off i have to say... if i could get my girlfriend to do the work on my car i would for sure :D

and for bbq'n...

PIZZA! soo good

and for everything (for the most part) crank the heat, seer the meat then depending what it is turn it way down (i even turn off burners)

doing it this way will keep stuff from drying out so you can still cook the inside slow a

CivicDXR
10-15-2008, 09:40 PM

Oh my ummm :eek:

:facepalm:

hope I didn't offend you with my post, thats just what I saw when I read it... :)

KRyn
10-15-2008, 09:51 PM
To go with any of your meals off the BBQ try perschuto wrapped asparagus! You paint the tips with a mixture of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and fresh cracked pepper then wrap the stems with perschuto and grill! Yum

inline6turbo
10-15-2008, 11:35 PM

hope I didn't offend you with my post, thats just what I saw when I read it... :)

None takin :) But that was definately not what I meant haha, but I can see where it came from.

A790
10-20-2008, 12:33 AM
lol this thread went a weird direction really fast.