PDA

View Full Version : Porsche PDK gear box

m10-power
10-15-2008, 10:54 AM
aSD0CKgk_NE

I recently test drove a '09 997 with this 7spd dual clutch gear box, very impressive and smooth. I have not tried a DSG or other manufacturers offerings, but I really can't imagine a smoother or more efficient system.

rage2
10-15-2008, 10:58 AM
If you want to try a DSG for comparison and writeup, let me know.

I haven't tried PDK yet. Might have to go find some time to visit SCFC. I need a reliable fun track car.

schocker
10-15-2008, 11:17 AM
The top gear australia had a good test of the car aswell. It looks like a very impressive transmission compared to the dsg setup from vw, especially with the extra power running through it. A huge improvement especially over the outgoing auto. Will be interesting to see though once they get it in the Turbo, as the GT3/RS and GT2 had better stay 6spds.

I am going to see if i can try out the dsg at some vw dealer this weekend to see what it is like so i can decide on what i want to look for in a gti.

m10-power
10-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by rage2
If you want to try a DSG for comparison and writeup, let me know.

I haven't tried PDK yet. Might have to go find some time to visit SCFC. I need a reliable fun track car.

I'd recommend you do, I was very impressed with the car. I recently had the opportunity to drive an '08 GT3 at race city and found the regular carrera to be not far off, with the PDK I would wager it would be a closer comparison on track. (tires being equal) Apparently the PDK is 8 seconds faster on the 'ring then a 6 spd.

I may take you up on your offer, is your GTI modified?

If all else you could always pick up the GT2 they have in the show room, that would make a fun track car ;)

Carlton
10-15-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure if this gear box is up to par with the new GT-R transmission. aka. Porsche killer

rage2
10-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by m10-power
I'd recommend you do, I was very impressed with the car. I recently had the opportunity to drive an '08 GT3 at race city and found the regular carrera to be not far off, with the PDK I would wager it would be a closer comparison on track. (tires being equal) Apparently the PDK is 8 seconds faster on the 'ring then a 6 spd.
Yea, all dual clutches are a lot faster at the track. I was way faster than I was supposed to be in the GTI on a lapping day. I ran pretty much identical laptimes as TheVicaR in the S2K. He had better tires than me too and he's a good driver.

I may take you up on your offer, is your GTI modified?
Just suspension.

If all else you could always pick up the GT2 they have in the show room, that would make a fun track car ;)
I'm never buying MT again, dual clutch only for me especially for a track car.

I wouldn't mind a C4 PDK for a winter/track car, that is if the C4's handling has been improved in the '09s. I heard they got updated with the new Haldex AWD system along with PDK, but haven't found any confirmation. Just rumors from March when I first heard about it.

m10-power
10-15-2008, 01:56 PM

Yea, all dual clutches are a lot faster at the track. I was way faster than I was supposed to be in the GTI on a lapping day. I ran pretty much identical laptimes as TheVicaR in the S2K. He had better tires than me too and he's a good driver.

Just suspension.

I'm never buying MT again, dual clutch only for me especially for a track car.

I wouldn't mind a C4 PDK for a winter/track car, that is if the C4's handling has been improved in the '09s. I heard they got updated with the new Haldex AWD system along with PDK, but haven't found any confirmation. Just rumors from March when I first heard about it.

I'm still a bit old school, the 6spd manual to me is more of a pure driving experience, rev matching down shifting yourself being more satisfying. But the dual clutch gearbox is the future and proven performer, would be a hard choice. But I'm getting older and lazier so probably PDK for me in the future ;)

Originally posted by Carlton
I'm not sure if this gear box is up to par with the new GT-R transmission. aka. Porsche killer

It's more then up to par, I hardly call the GT-R transmission a Porsche killer, more of a wallet killer.

schocker
10-16-2008, 11:04 AM
I finally gave the DSG a try last night, it is pretty cool though I didnt get to try out the sport mode, but did get to try launch control. Quite a good system with the super quick and soft gear changes.:burnout:

treg50
10-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Sounds sweet.

But "top speed in 6th, better performance and fuel consumption in 7th"... on what road can you get to 7th gear and then stay long enough in 7th to even think about your fuel consumption?!
lol :eek:

rage2
10-16-2008, 11:26 AM
any road. 7th gear @ 1200rpm on deerfoot. you don't HAVE to hit the top of 6th before shifting to 7th :rofl:.

C4S
10-16-2008, 11:29 AM

that is if the C4's handling has been improved in the '09s. I heard they got updated with the new Haldex AWD system along with PDK, but haven't found any confirmation. Just rumors from March when I first heard about it.

YES .. NEW AWD system for 09 .. same great AWD system as the 911 Turbo now. (Electronic vs Viscous multi disc)

Problem is .. everyone wants C4/C4S in Calgary .. somehwo .. :dunno:

I would pay that $7K for the WIDE body only .. so the AWD system is just bonus! :D

m10-power
10-16-2008, 11:42 AM
7th on the deerfoot was perfect pulled just fine with slight accelerations. Hammer the throttle in drive and it snaps into 2nd and pins you in the seat instantly. One of the reasons not to bother with the lame push/pull buttons on the steering wheel (which were ass backwards).

rage2
10-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by C4S
YES .. NEW AWD system for 09 .. same great AWD system as the 911 Turbo now. (Electronic vs Viscous multi disc)
From some of the Porsche literature it looks like it's a modified version of the PTM AWD system in the Turbo, which probably means they outsourced Haldex to get a cheaper setup (it does the exact same thing) that doesn't need the much bigger TQ requirements of the Turbo system.

I guess I'll have to drive one. I hated their old AWD system, understeer everywhere :(.