PDA

View Full Version : follow up email/ call?

l/l/rX
10-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Hey just wondering what a good follow up email/ call would consist of? It's been exactly a week since my interview (last wednesday) and I'm kind of anxious because he said he would call me sometime this week before he gets back into Calgary. He's the district manager.

Would something like this be acceptable?

RE: Follow up letter (should it be titled something else?)

Good afternoon [insert name here],

Regarding our interview we had last Wednesday, I was wondering what your decision was regarding my future within [insert company name here] as an employee (or in this case assistant manager, which is better?). I believe I would be a great asset to your company as I am a great team leader and show great enthusiasm to learn and grow into something better within [insert company name here].

I want to thank you once again for your time to sit down with me last Wednesday.

I can be reached at 403-000-0000 or you can simply reply to this email.

[My Name here]

Suggestions/ comments/ edits? Should I wait another day? Or should I call instead?

thanks all!

FreakinPrince
10-15-2008, 11:55 AM
normally if they tell me they would call me sometime this week i would wait until friday..if nothing then monday or tuesday first thing in the morning i would call them or send them a follow up email

snoop101
10-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Ya keep in mind we had a long weekend too. So a lot of people take friday off. So its only been like 3-4 days if you count the interview day. Some place depending on the job have to get approval from up top, which takes time.

If you push to hard it will look like your desperate.

l/l/rX
10-15-2008, 12:05 PM
alright great advice, what about the email itself? how is it? the setup? wording? etc.

CaptainReboot
10-15-2008, 12:20 PM
I usually wait a few days after they said they would let me know.

I call them, I don't send an email. You won't believe how many emails people can get, especially if it's for a large company. It might get easily pushed off the screen with newer messages and they may forget about it.

I tell them that I'm still interested in the position and if they have made any decisions yet. It's a fine line between looking interested in the position and looking desparate.

mslbebiz
10-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Following up whether in sales or job hunting is one of the most important things you can do IMO.

My follow-ups are usually done via the method I've had the most contact with the company from. Some are very email-driven, some mainly phone-driven.

You just wanted to follow-up real quick and see if they've made a decision. That's basically all you need to say in an email or on the phone. You don't need to sell yourself anymore, that's what the interview was for. The same thing goes for sales - sell too much after the fact and you'll almost always lose.

It helps if you've had other offers or interviews and can motivate them to make a decision this way, as they may not want to lose you.

Good luck.

l/l/rX
10-21-2008, 06:52 PM
so i followed up with the district manager last friday and he apologized for not getting back to me earlier during that week, cuz he said he was in winnipeg. He said to me that he is still very interested in me and wanted to make me an offer on monday (yesterday), but in the mean time he just had to sort out all the training dates and where to place me.
That call has not come in yet, should I do something about this? Or am I being too impatient? Should I wait it off a little more? Wouldn't you consider this to be unprofessional on his/ their part? Even if he hasn't found a place to place me yet, wouldn't it be considerate to at least make me an offer, just to let me know that I have for sure for sure secured a position within the company?

I hate it when people set deadlines/ dates and don't stick to them. FRUSTRATES ME soooo much! ARGH! :banghead:

l/l/rX
10-21-2008, 06:59 PM
should i send him a dummy email sorta thing? He doesn't have my cell phone number just my home number, should i just shoot him a quick email about how i would rather like to be contacted via cellphone instead of my home phone?

or something along the lines of that?

Grogador
10-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
Even if he hasn't found a place to place me yet, wouldn't it be considerate to at least make me an offer, just to let me know that I have for sure for sure secured a position within the company?

It can sometimes take quite a bit of HR horsepower to even post a position, not to mention make an offer. What is he going to "offer" you if he hasn't found a place for you yet?

Pacman
10-21-2008, 08:57 PM
You want to come across as assertive......not desperate. If you appear desperate, you will lose any leverage when it comes to negotiating your compensation.