PDA

View Full Version : ERROR made by Registry office

nsfour
10-15-2008, 05:25 PM
We bought a new car in, found an old plate which my parents used to have, and went to the Registry office to see if we can use the same plate while the plate was under my parents name.

The lady went ahead and processed the registration with the old plate, then we realized the car registration slip is under my parents name.

We went back to the registry office and they admitted the error the lady made, but claimed that I will have to setup a bill of sale to transfer the vehicle from my dad to me.

Now I have to pay $70 (which they said the manager might be able to waive) and I will be the second owner of the vehicle. Is there a way to keep the "first owner" status? Why would I have to be the one suffer from their error??

97'Scort
10-15-2008, 06:00 PM
You know they give you a new plate for free when you register, right? Why did you insist on using some old plate?

dannie
10-15-2008, 06:06 PM
No. There is no possible way to keep "first owner status." Once it is registered, there is no way to go back. Unless you are planning on selling right away, it shouldn't make a difference. If you are going to sell it, keep the copy of the registration with your dads name on it. That way when you pull a vehicle information report and it says two owners, you can produce your dads and yours to prove that there was an error made.

Grogador
10-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Plates can be transferred between people? RLY?

dannie
10-15-2008, 07:26 PM
No, they can't except special circumstances. The OP gave the registry the plate, asked to use it, clerk didnt look at the paperwork and registered the car to the dad who owns the plate. Now the OP wants to change it to his name but doesnt want to be the second owner

Supa Dexta
10-15-2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah and theres no way to use old plates that aren't yours. I think there is also a time line of like 2 yrs, or maybe even having to be a currently registered plate, to return and get a refund on.

dannie
10-15-2008, 07:30 PM
^ To get a refund the plate has to be current and not expired

Supa Dexta
10-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Yeah thats what I was thinking, the 2 yrs in my head is for NS I think, where you only update plates every couple yrs..

dannie
10-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Yeppers. In Alberta you can always return a plate. The registry will charge you 9.45 to return it and if its expired there is no refund.

Supa Dexta
10-15-2008, 07:34 PM
AND, they will only send the refund to the registered owner.. So no go on going to the mall and getting a stack of plates.:rofl: