PDA

View Full Version : Someone rear ended me, made me 35min late for CFP exam.

l/l/rX
10-16-2008, 11:43 AM
This didn't happen me to, but it happened to my cousin. So lets say this happened to you, you're on your way to your CFP (certified financial planner) exam. It costs $200 to write the test each time if you don't pass it.
So you get rear ended by someone else, you arrive at the examination place 35min into the test.
You are running out of time and you have to guess on the last 15 m.c. questions.
You get your test results back and you got a 57% (60% is a pass).

Would you make the girl who rear ended you pay an additional $200 for the test cuz you obviously have to re-write it now, so thats another 2 bills from your own pocket.

he asked me this yesterday, i was on the fence about it...what are your guys' opinions?

szw
10-16-2008, 11:45 AM
What do you mean "make her" pay it? If you mean ask her and hope she pays, sure why not? Whether she will pay or not, or has any legal obligation, is a different issue.

Supa Dexta
10-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Good luck with that idea.

urban.one
10-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Yeah nice try.

Tell him to leave extra early or take the bus next time.

Originally posted by l/l/rX
This didn't happen me to, but it happened to my cousin. So lets say this happened to you, you're on your way to your CFP (certified financial planner) exam. It costs $200 to write the test each time if you don't pass it.
So you get rear ended by someone else, you arrive at the examination place 35min into the test.
You are running out of time and you have to guess on the last 15 m.c. questions.
You get your test results back and you got a 57% (60% is a pass).

Would you make the girl who rear ended you pay an additional $200 for the test cuz you obviously have to re-write it now, so thats another 2 bills from your own pocket.

he asked me this yesterday, i was on the fence about it...what are your guys' opinions?

dannie
10-16-2008, 12:05 PM
You could ask, but the chick would be stupid to pay it. Why should she have to pay for your cousin to re-write an exam that he failed? She didnt make him choose C instead of A. It wasn't like she intentionally hit his car because she knew he had an exam. It was a collision that happened at a really crappy time for your cousin. Chaulk it up to bad luck.

tsi_neal
10-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Did she hit him on purpose? Accidents happen, why make the girl feel worse when she likely already feels like crap about it. I vote no way.

Last time i got bumped into it took a total of 10 min to look things over and assess the damages. Im betting he didnt leave himself enough time in the first place. If the accident was serious enough to keep the car from driving then you call the exam and cancel it.

l/l/rX
10-16-2008, 12:14 PM
fair enough. haha thanks.

The_Rural_Juror
10-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Maybe the 15 guesses at the end brought his mark up to 57%?:rofl: :rofl:

Xtrema
10-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Guess you didn't go through insurance?

If you did, I'll include that into the settlement. It just like lost wages and such.

But the problem is that he actually show up for the exam and failed. So now he has less of a case to claim. He should have just skip it all together.

LegendRacer
10-16-2008, 12:31 PM
the question is...why didnt ur cousin write the test anotehr time? why bother writing a test that you could write another time since you have to rush it

unless he HAD to write it that day...

MikeAg
10-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Good luck with that...

analbumcover
10-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Good luck with that idea.

Originally posted by MikeAg
Good luck with that...

Someone said that already dude, stop posting for the sake of posting.

PS. Your friend should have explained the situation before taking the test and protest the charges since it was out of his power. He can't penalize the person who accidentally rear ended him, that just sounds asinine.

I was on my way to my wife giving birth and i got into a car accident so i missed it, im going to sue you because i didnt see a baby spurt out of my wife's once small vagina, and now its all ripped up and red. ITS YOUR FAULT for hitting me :cry:

CRXguy
10-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover

Someone said that already dude, stop posting for the sake of posting.

Good Luck with that....

Originally posted by analbumcover
I was on my way to my wife giving birth and i got into a car accident so i missed it, im going to sue you because i didnt see a baby spurt out of my wife's once small vagina, and now its all ripped up and red. ITS YOUR FAULT for hitting me :cry:

nice edit! :rofl:

max_boost
10-16-2008, 01:22 PM
How bad was the accident?! Not going through insurance?

Why didn't he reschedule and write it another day?

Now here's the thing, if you are settling it outside of insurance, you can always demand more money, plain and simple.

max_boost
10-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Example:

$1500 to fix your buddies car. He tells the girl,

"Listen, I want $2000 and we'll call this thing even"

Write up a document, have both parties sign it and it's done. The extra $500 can go towards paying for the exam, getting massages, buying a hooker whatever.

Accidents blow. It depreciates the value of your car and is a red flag when you want to sell it later on. I have no sympathy for the other party, fuck them lol

Rat Fink
10-16-2008, 01:36 PM

Manhattan
10-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Maybe the 15 guesses at the end brought his mark up to 57%?:rofl: :rofl:

+1 :rofl: that's what the girl is gonna argue.

Zero102
10-16-2008, 04:02 PM
If you are going through insurance and/or have a lawyer, yes these things usually get counted in if they are _REASONABLE_. So, in this case the exam fee could be counted, but any lost wages because he failed the exam could not.

If you're not going through insurance it is entirely up to the other person whether they want to pay it, and that is the risk you take with EVERYTHING when you don't go through insurance. She could just as easily choose not to pay for any damage too. That would make the exam seem more insignificant ;)

googe
10-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Now here's the thing, if you are settling it outside of insurance, you can always demand more money, plain and simple.

If you're a huge douche, yeah

Toms-SC
10-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by googe

Don't be like that dude. It is like winning the lotto except your chances are greater!

max_boost
10-16-2008, 04:37 PM

Assuming this is your typical fender bender.

If you go through insurance, the opposing insurance company will fix your car and offer you a settlement depending on the severity of the accident and any injuries incurred. Now why would the girl want to do this when she can settle outside of insurance for less.

When I said, "you can demand more money" I should have been more clear. Money in addition to the costs to repair the vehicle. If you are dealing with it privately, the settlement is between both parties and as long as you agree to it, what's the big deal?

If all the chick has to deal is pay $200 for the re-write and fix the car, lol that's a GOOD DEAL. If she goes through insurance, she'll get an at fault on her record, pay for the repairs, pay for any physio AND on top of that the insurance will have to pay out $2500-$5000 to settle and close the case.

codetrap
10-16-2008, 04:43 PM
meh.. removed this post because it sounded jerkish to me.

InLoveWitRSX
10-16-2008, 05:39 PM
hah, came in this thread thinkin you got rear ended... that wouldve been shitty family luck.

l/l/rX
10-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by InLoveWitRSX
hah, came in this thread thinkin you got rear ended... that wouldve been shitty family luck.

huh? no one in my family has ever been rear ended or been in any sort of accident, well except for me, when it unexpectingly snowed at 5am, and i had my summers on. sled into a stop sign. :(

topmade
10-16-2008, 10:10 PM
If dealing with it privately just ask for more money. For all the accidents my mom got into (:facepalm: good thing she's my step mom) we just rounded it up a couple hundred dollars to keep everyone happy, not a big deal.

Also, if I knew I didn't have a good chance of passing the exam given the amount of time left, I would of probably just skipped it and tried to cancel or book it for another time because I believe you only get a few chances to write these before they make you wait a couple of years or something like that.

Pacman
10-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Not only should he ask her to pay the $200 for the test. He should also ask her to pay some type of compensation for the "opportunity cost" of not being able to work as a CFP until the next exam date.

The driver is guilty of wanton indifference, and it should not go unpunished.

If he needs a good lawyer....tell him to call Lionel Hutz.

Xtrema
10-16-2008, 11:40 PM
If all the chick has to deal is pay $200 for the re-write and fix the car, lol that's a GOOD DEAL. If she goes through insurance, she'll get an at fault on her record, pay for the repairs, pay for any physio AND on top of that the insurance will have to pay out $2500-$5000 to settle and close the case.

I just settled my accident when I got hit earlier this year, I got $5K for each passenger in my car without even saying a word. If I got injury lawyers involve and without the cap, I'm sure I can get enough money to buy a new BMW.

Asking her to cover the $200 is peanuts compare to going thru insurance.

But really, I tried to be nice and deal with it outside insurance once and I swear I will NEVER do it again. I don't care if it's $1 or $1000, you hit me, your insurance get claimed. Less hassle for me and I consider it a public service.

max_boost
10-17-2008, 12:19 AM
^^

Yep, because people are just shady fucks and want to get out of things without taking responsibility lol

One of my family members got into a minor accident last year when they sideswiped a lady. Now her car was an old pos Dodge and wasn't even worth anything and therefore not even worth fixing. Taking into consideration the cap, age of car etc, we paid $3500 to settle it up and got both parties to sign a document. Now I went out of my way to make sure the other party was happy but that's because I have integrity and honor :bigpimp: lol Most people aren't like that so trust no one!

Go through insurance because that's what it's there for.

googe
10-17-2008, 02:49 AM

When I said, "you can demand more money" I should have been more clear. Money in addition to the costs to repair the vehicle. If you are dealing with it privately, the settlement is between both parties and as long as you agree to it, what's the big deal?

Now I went out of my way to make sure the other party was happy but that's because I have integrity and honor :bigpimp: lol Most people aren't like that so trust no one!

yeah, greed and extortion are hallmarks of integrity and honor

anything to find an extra buck these days :rolleyes:

just take what you need to fix it, dont be a douche, and both parties can go about their lives.

Isaiah
10-17-2008, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by urban.one
Tell him to leave extra early or take the bus next time.

Great theory. Every time there's somewhere important to go, leave 45 minutes early (the delay caused by accident, assuming that he was planning on being 10 min early for the test).

You can't plan your life based on the probability that you'll hit a snag along the way. Contingency yes; stupidity no.

Isaiah
10-17-2008, 03:06 AM
I was being sarcastic - Your idea sucks.

max_boost
10-17-2008, 10:46 AM

just take what you need to fix it, dont be a douche, and both parties can go about their lives.

I was just joking about the integrity and honor comment but I am a lot more responsible than most people out there.

How is it greed and extortion when it's clearly within the confines of the rules? Again, it would cost this girl LESS by settling it privately than going through insurance.....:dunno:

By demanding more money, I didn't say repairs + X amount. No one is trying to get rich here. The extra amount can be anything. Hell a lady backed into my Prelude 8 years ago and scratched my front bumper. To repaint it was $500. I asked for $600. More than reasonable and she gladly paid it. The extra $100 for my troubles of running around and getting paint quotes etc. How is that greed and extortion?

Greed and extortion is making an insurance claim and faking injuries and hiring a lawyer and settling for $20K+:rofl:

In this case, all this girl has to do is pay for the repairs and $200 for the re-write, more than reasonable and she gets let off the hookup for her carelessness. If you guys think otherwise, you are a MORON!!

Xtrema
10-17-2008, 10:51 AM

I think Max Boost is nice to offer them an out.

I won't. I will do it by the books and cost them way more down the road.

max_boost
10-17-2008, 11:10 AM
^^^

Exactly. Thanks Xtrema. I'm not trying to pull their life savings here. I'm just asking for a reasonable amount to compensate me going out of my way to settle the incident because let's face it, it's a hassle!

Running around, getting estimates, being late for whatever you were on your way to do, having to call the other side, talk, meet up, collect. No matter how small the accident your muscles will probably tighten up and not to mention, you are PISSED OFF about your car getting hit lol Your car will never be the same, it's now damaged goods and I guess if you settle it privately you don't have to disclose it to the potential buyer but I'm not like that. Fact is, your vehicle's value has now depreciated some too. Just not the same man!

My SLK got hit in the parking lot, I had nothing to do with it, other than parking it where I did. I wanted to trade it in, dealer finds out it's been crashed, gives me the most ridiculars lowball offer. Now fuck I wish I can sue the bastard for depreciating the value of my car too! lol Oh well :rofl:

Weapon_R
10-17-2008, 12:17 PM
You can claim for all damages you suffered as a result of the accident. This even includes the wage you would have had as an entry-level CFP minus the wage you receive now and any injuries from the impact.

l/l/rX
10-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
You can claim for all damages you suffered as a result of the accident. This even includes the wage you would have had as an entry-level CFP minus the wage you receive now and any injuries from the impact.

haha WOAH really?! but that sounds too much of a douche thing to do. The extra $200 to cover for the re-write is good enough! lol

Xtrema
10-17-2008, 01:20 PM
My SLK got hit in the parking lot, I had nothing to do with it, other than parking it where I did. I wanted to trade it in, dealer finds out it's been crashed, gives me the most ridiculars lowball offer. Now fuck I wish I can sue the bastard for depreciating the value of my car too! lol Oh well :rofl:

That's a lesson I learn that push me toward leasing. My car basically dropped by $3K in resale/trade in after the accident. The insurance won't cover it since they already paid for the repair & rental ($5K+$3K). But I'm still out $3K even it's not my fault.

If I lease and pay a few bucks more on insurance, I won't care about depreciation by accidents.