PDA

View Full Version : When do you stop bringing your car to the dealership for maintenance?

analbumcover
10-16-2008, 01:45 PM
My warranty has been up for over a year, and im not really interested in paying $200 for an oil change, tire rotation and some lube on my hinges.

Is it absolutely necessary to continue to go to the car dealership after my warranty is up?

I know this may spark a debate as "the dealership knows your car best" but just for piece of mind/debate what year/type of vehicle do you have? Do you still get your services done at the dealership?

Lonely_Driver
10-16-2008, 01:48 PM
I usually just take the car there while it's under warranty. After that I take it to my own mechanic. Dealership labour costs way too much for me to afford.

2EFNFAST
10-16-2008, 01:50 PM
as soon as it's off the lot - f the stealership, ESPECIALLY HYATT :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
10-16-2008, 01:51 PM
I need three or four oil changes a year in the car, and I'll let the dealership do one of them, usualy in the winter since I don't have a heated garage.
I document all the oil changes carefully for warranty purposes.

I like to have them run the vin to check for recalls etc.

I prefer to change my own, because I'm pretty much the only person I trust.

dr_jared88
10-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Unless they give away free service, the last day I take it to the dealer is the day I buy it. Unless of course it's warranty work.

Mibz
10-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by dr_jared88
Unless they give away free service, the last day I take it to the dealer is the day I buy it. Unless of course it's warranty work.

nobb
10-16-2008, 01:55 PM
As long as you keep the receipts...you can do your own oil changes and still not void the warranty? Can someone confirm that? What about other straightforward things like tire rotations, air filter, (maybe even brake flushes)?

benyl
10-16-2008, 02:06 PM

DannyO
10-16-2008, 02:06 PM
I would only take it if the warranty required it, if not then I'll do it myself if I can, if not then I MAY take it to the dealership depending on what it is I'm getting done and what type of car it is.
I do oil changes myself for piece of mind as I want to make sure the correct filter goes on and that the bolt is back in the sump properly, heard way to many horror stories for such a simple task.

Only good thing to me about taking it to the dealership after the warranty expires is that when it comes to sell the car, it looks good that the dealer did all the maintenance instead of Joe Shmoe.

2002civic
10-16-2008, 02:13 PM
during warrenty and the odd time after

ExtraSlow
10-16-2008, 02:18 PM
I can't find a reference right now, but I belive it's illegal for any company to require dealer servicing to maintain warranty.
Adequate records are all that's required.

Thaco
10-16-2008, 02:25 PM

sillysod
10-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Most dealerships are flat rate, so the guys are going to get it done as quickly as possible and they won't be looking for anything else that could be preventative.

I would recommend going to a small shop that does hourly work and get them to do it for you.

Apparently TuneDub is supposed to be the place to go for service on the Audi's VW's and Skoda's...

Not sure what you drive.

Zero102
10-16-2008, 03:58 PM

Damn straight!
There is no reason to take your vehicle to the dealership for any maintenance work even if it IS in warranty. They cannot deny you warranty coverage if you can prove that the maintenance was performed on time.

speedracer
10-16-2008, 04:04 PM

riced
10-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Yeah.. I brought mine to them twice for service and it just wasn't worth it.. who knows what they were doing if they were doing anything at all.. and come on.. $200 for "visual inspection" of all these little things I can check myself? Nope.

I take it to my uncle.. I know he's actually doing what needs to be done and it's cheaper.
Certified Honda and Toyota tech too :D

max_boost
10-17-2008, 12:26 AM
Unless they give away free service, the last day I take it to the dealer is the day I buy it. Unless of course it's warranty work. +4

Unless if it's a higher end car. Well the SLK isn't even really high end imo but you know the Euro stuff, don't want to mess with MB. I have no choice but to bite the bullet. First service was $350, next one is $650 I think. Fucking ridiculars but got to pay to play.

danno
10-17-2008, 12:36 AM
i just recently stopped and will only go back for warranty work. the last service at the dealer was $485, i got the same service done for $125 from george at tune dub. and he did it in a hour unlike the dealer also got it in last minute. not saying he is the best as i have only been there once but he left a very good immpression on me.

btw i would go to the dealer if it is a $50 difference

dj techsta
10-17-2008, 05:25 AM
with me I stop after the first oil change and inspection.

After that I just get everything done at either the mechanic's shop just down the street from me, or at the lube shop near my work. 20 bucks plus I supply all the materials, but materials is just a personal choice, cuz I really don't trust the oil most lube shops use.

After warranty expires, I just do everything myself (but I can't remember the last time that happened, keep buying new cars before warranty expires)

Kennyredline
10-18-2008, 07:19 PM
When they wave the keys in front of you and say" You will bring your car back here for oil changes, you will not go to Mr. Lube..."

The_Rural_Juror
10-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Well the SLK isn't even really high end imo

You know you wipe your ass with $100 bills when...

jk :rofl:

sabad66
10-18-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm surprised at how many people don't take their car to the dealer for service. Where do you guys usually take it then? Places like Midas? Or small shops like 2 Square Auto Repair by Edmonton Trail?