PDA

View Full Version : Royalty Regime - Stelmach says "F-U Alberta NG E&P"

broken_legs
10-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Alberta holds fast on royalty regime
NORVAL SCOTT, DAVID EBNER AND JACQUIE McNISH
19:59 EST Thursday, Oct 16, 2008

CALGARY, VANCOUVER, TORONTO — The Alberta government will not delay the introduction of its new oil and natural gas royalty regime, even as dramatic decreases in commodity prices and tight credit markets threaten to derail future projects.

The energy industry has long argued that the new royalty scheme, set to begin Jan. 1, 2009, will make both conventional oil and gas exploration and oil sands development less economically feasible and will reduce activity levels.

That argument has taken on a greater urgency as the current financial crisis lays waste to oil prices, which have fallen by over half since they hit $147 (U.S.) a barrel in early July. That precipitous fall – also reflected in the gas market – has helped to gut Canadian oil and gas company valuations, leaving the sector ripe for consolidation or even foreign takeover.

“There's been a lot of angst about the royalty structure and framework … but the implementation will proceed,” provincial Energy Minister Mel Knight said at an industry conference in Calgary.

He added, however, that the government's door “is never shut. We continue to work with our industry partners to ensure the [royalties] do not have a negative impact on the economy or the province of Alberta.”

Mr. Knight said that Alberta would reveal a new energy strategy in mid-November. The strategy will “protect jobs in Alberta and the infrastructure that [companies] have built in Alberta,” he said, without going into details.

Oil companies are struggling with the current climate, which has made securing credit to complete projects more expensive, while at the same time reducing cash flow. With a number of companies saying they will delay projects and spend less, investors are bailing out of the sector.

The collapse in oil company stocks has been so severe that, for the first time in years, a number of large Canadian energy companies have seen their stock prices fall below the value of their unexploited oil and gas assets, making them bargains to acquirers. As a result, once-untouchable firms such as Suncor Energy Inc. and Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. – whose valuations have fallen by 50 per cent in just a couple of weeks to their lowest levels since 2005 – appear potentially vulnerable to takeover bids.

“The challenge for the oil industry today is that it is now cheaper to drill for oil on Bay Street than it is in Alberta,” said John Brussa, senior partner at Burnet Duckworth & Palmer LLP.

Current prices of natural gas, coupled with Alberta's high cost environment and new royalty regime, have made it difficult for companies to develop new gas projects in the province, said Canadian Natural Resourced Ltd. vice-president Murray Edwards.

The forthcoming royalty changes mean “Alberta is the least attractive regime for conventional natural gas in North America right now,” he said on the sidelines of a Calgary conference.

The poor investment environment has raised questions about whether Calgary oil sands firms and their shareholders would accept a takeover bid, as it's unclear whether bids of even twice the current share price of a company would succeed.

“Share values have come off so that they are less than the fair valuation of some companies,” said Dave Collyer, president of the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers. “If I was sitting on a board, I would not be recommending that decisions should be made now, whether it's on a big project or on the future of the company.”

The most motivated buyers are international giants such as Exxon Mobil Corp. and a variety of Chinese oil players, who are awash in cash and actively looking to expand their oil reserves. Of publicly traded firms, Exxon Mobil has by far the biggest hoard, with $39-billion in cash at June 30.

Of other international firms, several had significant cash on hand, but likely not enough to make gigantic moves.
© Copyright The Globe and Mail

CUG
10-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Someone should kill Stelmach

cough

's shitty ideas.

Supa Dexta
10-16-2008, 07:03 PM
People said newfoundland was crazy, but look where it got them.

dezmarez
10-16-2008, 07:05 PM
i dont get it
why do we need to tax them even more
doesnt alberta have a surplus???

Redlyne_mr2
10-16-2008, 07:15 PM
It baffles me that Stelmach and Klein were part of the same political party yet their decisions and opinions are opposite of eachother.

Canmorite
10-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Depressed gas prices are really going to help right now too.

Xtrema
10-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
It baffles me that Stelmach and Klein were part of the same political party yet their decisions and opinions are opposite of eachother.

Because Alberta will vote blue and nothing else, Stelmach is our fucking Dion. These 3rd place wins shit gotta stop.

finboy
10-16-2008, 07:43 PM
87% of voters disagree with this thread :dunno: :D

hampstor
10-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Stelmach :thumbsdow

The fuck tards who wouldn't support Dinning or Morton got us into this mess. I didn't vote for Stelmach as a second choice, I voted Dinning and no secondary.

Farmers in charge of big oil :thumbsdow

BlackArcher101
10-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Oh lord, here we go again. Love the words used in the article "regime, scheme"... ya yes, not a biased article at all.

The royalties are simply adjusting to industry average... they were already low. The royalities alone will not be to blame for decreased activity... you can blame the high prices in Alberta on the companies who are willing to pay the inflated prices for services. Why should we keep royalties low because companies are charging more for projects in Alberta than elsewhere. It would only result in companies making more money while Alberta doesn't directly benefit from it. Time to even it out a bit more and let the industry "adjust" to it... aka, become financially responsible again.

And yes, I work in the industry.

Anomaly
10-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by dezmarez
i dont get it
why do we need to tax them even more
doesnt alberta have a surplus???
:facepalm:

broken_legs
10-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Oh lord, here we go again. Love the words used in the article "regime, scheme"... ya yes, not a biased article at all.

The royalties are simply adjusting to industry average... they were already low. The royalities alone will not be to blame for decreased activity... you can blame the high prices in Alberta on the companies who are willing to pay the inflated prices for services. Why should we keep royalties low because companies are charging more for projects in Alberta than elsewhere. It would only result in companies making more money while Alberta doesn't directly benefit from it. Time to even it out a bit more and let the industry "adjust" to it... aka, become financially responsible again.

And yes, I work in the industry.

Ummmmm

I work in the industry too. Wages and day rates have gone down for most services in my industry (upstream Drilling) because the industry had a coordinated coup on the service companies back in late 2006/2007.

I've worked in the US where they pay service hands 30-50% more, charge much higher day rates and get a shittier product and yet they are going buck wild down there. What different between there and here you ask? Hmmmmmmm Taxes/Royalties maybe?

I think you're right that the article is biased. It totally is, it's playing on everyones fears of recession and the upcoming bust that almost always follows a boom. The comment from the executive that I highlighted is totally biased. I just can't agree with your logic that service companies charging too much is why the oil companies aren't profitable.

EDIT:

Whats funny is that this royalty scheme is going to coincide with a historic drop in oila nd gas prices during a world wide recession. Everyone will blame the royalty review for the problems tha are mostly based on macro economics.

This reminds me of the NEP, which also coincided with a massive spike and decline in oil and gas prices, and a world wide financial crisis.

blownz
10-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Just remember, the Liberals and NDP would probably increase royalties even more.

And why does everyone put 100% of the blame on Stelmach? There was so much pressure to increase royalties that it likely would have happened with Dining as well (maybe not to the same degree, but it would have happened).

johnboy27
10-19-2008, 12:29 AM
I work in the industry also and we have already seen a huge drop in work in Alberta. My company is doing way more work in Saskatchewan and BC within the last 6 months, next year will be even worse according to the larger companies we work for. They are expecting to quadrupple the amount of work for our company in the Dawson Creek area in the next 2 years.
I blame the royalty review for it.

broken_legs
10-19-2008, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by johnboy27
I work in the industry also and we have already seen a huge drop in work in Alberta. My company is doing way more work in Saskatchewan and BC within the last 6 months, next year will be even worse according to the larger companies we work for. They are expecting to quadrupple the amount of work for our company in the Dawson Creek area in the next 2 years.
I blame the royalty review for it.

Or you could blame the discovery of a massive new gas field and BC incentivizing drilling there. :dunno:

old&slow
10-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Albertans are so narrow minded...