PDA

View Full Version : Paying for gas on a road trip

Lilac Wine
10-17-2008, 08:31 AM
How would everyone recommend to pay for gas on a road trip besides a amount of litres used gage or figuring out miles per gallon?

Me and my bf say the driver should fill up the tank before he goes with his own money and any top ups along the way and the filling of the tank when back in the home town will be split by everyone. Sure it sucks that he has to fill the tank with his own money to begin with but then he will have a full tank to go on when he gets back into town.

My sister says everyone should pitch in to fill his tank before we go and everyone should pitch in on top ups on the way. When we get back into town the driver is on his own to top up once back into town. This way makes no sense to me!!!

Masked Bandit
10-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Step 1 - Car starts full at driver's expense
Step 2 - Everyone contributes to fuel purchases along the way
Step 3 - Eveyone contributes to refill tank upon return home
Step 4 - ????????
Step 5 - Profit!

bulaian
10-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Driver should have a full tank to start out.

he pays for everything until he's back in town and tops up to full again. Then split the bill evenly between everyone.

So, the first way makes sense. You should always be starting a trip on a full tank... and he's being reimbursed toa full tank again when you get back in town anyways, so no loss to him.

I'm always the driver and the second way is stupid. There's always cheapos that screw over the person who has to drive by doing it this way though. I bet your sister isn't a driver.

Wehbeast
10-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by bulaian
Driver should have a full tank to start out.

he pays for everything until he's back in town and tops up to full again. Then split the bill evenly between everyone.

So, the first way makes sense. You should always be starting a trip on a full tank... and he's being reimbursed toa full tank again when you get back in town anyways, so no loss to him.

I'm always the driver and the second way is stupid. There's always cheapos that screw over the person who has to drive by doing it this way though. I bet your sister isn't a driver.

:werd: I tend to know who the cheapasses are and refuse to road trip with them

Quiet10
10-17-2008, 08:51 AM
No road trip unless you do it the first way!

Drivers need compensation! :whipped:

trieu
10-17-2008, 09:01 AM
How we did it this summer was we pooled in money including driver and when that ran out we pooled in more, worked out pretty well. :thumbsup:

Lilac Wine
10-17-2008, 09:07 AM
I don't even see why she would consider the second way. The first way is so easy! But try explain it to them haha. I'm trying to think of a very easy way to explain it cause they don't understand!

topmade
10-17-2008, 09:09 AM
Take a guess on how much money it will take and get the money before leaving. Everyone has to pay up or they won't be coming. If they snicker about how inaccurate it is and they don't want to be ripped off, tell them to take a bus and you'll meet them there. I've always been the driver and it's a PITA to get money after the trip is done because "they used up all their money on the trip" and will promise to pay you back afterwards.

em2ab
10-17-2008, 09:09 AM
so the argument is he just doesn't want to pay to fill up his tank? What does he do at the end of the week? First way for sure.

TYMSMNY
10-17-2008, 09:13 AM
One person pays for it , then split the bill when you arrive at destination. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

G-ZUS
Originally posted by topmade
Take a guess on how much money it will take and get the money before leaving. Everyone has to pay up or they won't be coming. If they snicker about how inaccurate it is and they don't want to be ripped off, tell them to take a bus and you'll meet them there. I've always been the driver and it's a PITA to get money after the trip is done because "they used up all their money on the trip" and will promise to pay you back afterwards.

:werd: Me and my friend always go on roadtrips together, we take turns filling up while we're there, then we split the tank 50/50 when we get back.

Lilac Wine
Their explanation is to fill it up before they leave because that will be the fuel we will be using for the trip.
I'm not worried about no one paying for gas. It is me, my sister, her fiance, and my bf so no one will get ripped off.

rc2002
10-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Just explain to them that if it the tank starts full and ends full then they are only paying for the gas used on the trip.

Same deal if it starts empty and ends empty. You can do it their way if you come back to town with an empty tank.

EK 2.0
10-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Ass, cash or grass....

No one rides for free...

Super_Geo
10-17-2008, 09:43 AM
The driver shouldn't have to pay a single cent for gas... start with a full tank, end with a full tank, and any top ups along the way should be shared by the passengers (assuming a full car... wouldn't be fair if it was just one person you're driving).

No one takes into account the depreciation on the car, especially people who don't drive. Who wants to put 1000+kms on their car and only get reimbursed a share of the gas? Think about it... everyone who's riding along doesn't pay for the wear/tear on the car, the depreciation, new tires, rock chips, etc.

So to be fair, driver shouldn't pay a penny for gas... he's providing the vehicle, everyone else should provide the fuel.

89s1
10-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Ass, cash or grass....

No one rides for free...

It's actually Ass, gas, or grass. (in no particular order)

according to the biker jackets I've seen at least.

Euro838
10-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
The driver shouldn't have to pay a single cent for gas... start with a full tank, end with a full tank, and any top ups along the way should be shared by the passengers (assuming a full car... wouldn't be fair if it was just one person you're driving).

No one takes into account the depreciation on the car, especially people who don't drive. Who wants to put 1000+kms on their car and only get reimbursed a share of the gas? Think about it... everyone who's riding along doesn't pay for the wear/tear on the car, the depreciation, new tires, rock chips, etc.

So to be fair, driver shouldn't pay a penny for gas... he's providing the vehicle, everyone else should provide the fuel.

This is what I'm thinking too. Unless they drive a beater or something, the car owner will have to pay for insurance, maintenance and depreciation. That's why unless people are willing to pay for ALL of the gas, I'd rather drive alone and pay for everything rather than let the passengers get on.

The other way to think about it then is the scenario of a car rental. If you rented a car, basically everyone would then split the total bill evenly for the car rental, gas and associated expenses.

When someone is using their own car, for the most part, the gas should be the smaller portion of any associated costs or expenses.

Lilac Wine
10-17-2008, 10:02 AM
We are just going from Lethbridge to Great Falls (3 hours both ways) for the day. It was their idea and they asked us to come.

adidas
10-17-2008, 10:06 AM

Thank you!!:thumbsup:

EvolutionI
10-17-2008, 10:39 AM
I agree, driver is the one who has to concentrate on the road, he can't just chill in the back seat sleeping/watching movies/ playing psp/ reading a magazine. Hes the one who gets you there and back safely, and if his car breaks down along the way, who is going to help him pay for it? Passengers pay for the gas all the way, and for the fill up after the trip.

Euro838
10-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Lilac Wine
We are just going from Lethbridge to Great Falls (3 hours both ways) for the day. It was their idea and they asked us to come.

If someone invites you over for dinner, do you come empty handed?

The Wanderer
10-17-2008, 11:34 AM
I've done a lot of road trips with friends (including a couple of 34 hr ones)

I usually am one of the drivers and often we use my vehicle. We almost always leave with a full tank and devide the cost of fuel evenly (including fill up when we return). This way everyone pays equaly. Depending on who is in the vehicle determines how we pay. Some people prefer to use thir own credit card as they receive money back. In that case we have had each paid for seperate top ups and if they where about even (who realy cares about $5 ish) did not worry. If they where somewhat uneven, the one who had paid less just antied up.

The way I look at it the vehicle owner was planing on going. By having additional people it cuts down on the fuel cost. The other expences (insurance, depreciation, tires, oil...) would be incured by the owner anyways so should not be taken into account.

That being said, I have had friends insist on paying more because of those cost (especialy the oil change for very long trips) but I would not feel it was required as I would have been doing the trip anyways.

Lilac Wine
10-17-2008, 11:44 AM
I agree totally with The Wanderer. The original question was just whether or not it is easiest to start with a full tank of gas and everyone pitch in along the way then split the fill up when back into town. Him and my sister would be going alone if we never went anyway so he is saving money right there. And we probably would throw in some extra cash for him for driving.

Mike w
10-17-2008, 11:49 AM
its your car, its your problem for the wear and tear on it from the trip so everyone elce should pay gas, or take a fuckin bus

5hift
10-17-2008, 11:58 AM

:werd: I agree with Super Geo here. Road trip cars almost always take some abuse when they are full. If I'm using my car, risking possibly a problem or at least depreciation, and I have to drive and cant relax, no way I'm paying for gas. Dont like it take your own car (ive noticed the only ones who dont offer to pay are the ones who dont have cars themselves).

It was their idea, they invited you and somehow you guys ended up driving? Are you sure they didnt just want your car for the day? They should be driving or def covering all the gas if they planned it and invited you.

Moe Man
10-18-2008, 10:11 AM

what he said.

03ozwhip
10-18-2008, 02:28 PM
on my roadtrips i start out with the full tank and then from there everyone including me splits on the next fill up. the way i figure it, i dont have to drive if i dont want to, so if im going on the roadtrip, im part of the paying party. i think its fair.

edit: if im going somewhere already, and i invite the people along with me, this is how i would do it. if there are no 2 ways around me driving, i wouldnt pay for gas at all.

pinoyhero
10-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Driver shouldn't pay he's the one taking depreciation on the car and has to actually drive.

kenny
10-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Their explanation is to fill it up before they leave because that will be the fuel we will be using for the trip.
I'm not worried about no one paying for gas. It is me, my sister, her fiance, and my bf so no one will get ripped off.

This is so sad. You're all pretty much family and you're arguing about who pays for gas and how it should be done. Do you guys bicker over who pays the bill at dinner? Does everyone bust out their calculators to make sure they don't overpay by $5?

Why are people so cheap? :rofl:

garyb
10-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by kenny

This is so sad. You're all pretty much family and you're arguing about who pays for gas and how it should be done. Do you guys bicker over who pays the bill at dinner? Does everyone bust out their calculators to make sure they don't overpay by $5?

Thats being inexpensive. You cut your own hair, thats cheap. :D

rage2
10-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by kenny

haha no fucking doubt.

When I go on roadtrips with my friends and I'm driving, I provide the car and gas. It's not worth it to fight over petty shit, it's just a fucking tank of gas :rofl:. It all works out after time anyways, we all take turns paying for dinner and shit, no split bills, no calculators.

Hell the last vancouver roadtrip, I provided 2 cars :rofl:.

max_boost
10-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Wow I didn't know it was so complicated and that a formula was necessary lol

Instead of chipping in every time at the pump, how about each person just take turns paying for the fill up? ....... :dunno: :nut:

Oh wait, and then someone's going to complain, your tank of gas lasted longer because we were on the highway and mine was driving around in the City lol :rofl:

JRSC00LUDE
10-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Hello this is grade 7 calling. Come back to me your moron, I miss you.:love: