PDA

View Full Version : is selling on kijiji always this hard?

Stunt66
10-17-2008, 11:22 AM
From: Kijiji Reply (from [email protected]) <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 2:25 PM
To: me
You've received the following reply to your "yakima snowboard and ski rack" Ad on Kijiji:

Might be interested. Do you have model # and model # of required clips?

Can you bring the racks to dwntown Calgary to see them?

pls advise.
Luis

----------
Date: Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 3:04 PM
To: [email protected]

I cant find the model number online because they are a couple years old. You can either buy the universal clips which are $60 or vehicle specific for $40. The picture looks really close to the ones i have so i wouldn't be interested in bringing them downtown just for a showing. I paid about 200 when i bought them and they have only been used for a year because i stopped snowboarding. the condition of them is really good.

----------
Date: Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 10:31 PM
reason I am asking is that I have a yakima roof rack and I was hoping your racks could fit these.
I work on 5th av. and 4th st. Pleas let me know when you can bring them down and I'll meet you at noon some time.

thanks,
Luis.

----------
To: Luis >

I already told you I'm not willing to go down town for a test fit. The price I’m asking is really reasonable and because of that im not willing to waste my time for a test fit only. If you buy the universal clips this system will fit any crossbar. I already dropped the price to $80 and even if you bought the universal clips for $60 its still a really good deal. Im a 10 minute drive from your work you can come down if you want to see it.

----------
Sorry I thought you had say you had no problem. No need to SHOUT.
I can make it on fridays, I am off on the afternoons, no problem but I would also like to know better so I do not waste BOTH our time.

I am not discussing price since I dont even know yet if the racks would fit me. If you can take a picture of the snow board rack I could get a better Idea. Or if you provide a p/n (part number) I can look for the appropiate clip at the yakima website.

pls advise.
cheers.

----------
To: Luis
Sorry if i came off rude but I have been getting a lot of stupid emails about this rack. The price is $80 and i'm not going any lower than that. I don't have the part number but if you buy the yakima mighty mounts for 60 they will fit any rack.

----------
Date: Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 2:59 PM
To: Luis

the picture i sent you is the same one as mine but instead of a red button mine is black.

----------
You can not help that posting at kijiji/graiglist, etc. there are a lot of stupid people out there!

Thanks but I think these are not good for my crossbars, mine are cilindrical (round) and I think your rack is mote for a different cross section crossbar! (do you remember monting these on round yakima bars?)

cheers,
Luis

----------
To: Luis Felipe

Can you read? If you look at my emails i sent you I stated that if you buy the UNIVERSAL MOUNTING CLIPS THEY WILL FIT ANY CROSSBAR. It's actually people like you that make simple transactions like this hard. I don't know how to make this any clearer but this rack will fit ANY crossbar if you buy the UNIVERSAL CLIPS. I hope this is just some guy playing a joke on me because if you're serious about all this then you've got some serious reading comprehension problems.

Cheers,
Disgruntled kijiji user

GQBalla
10-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Lol ownage

nonlinear
10-17-2008, 11:28 AM
wow, that guy sounds like an idiot

but you should remove his email address from the positing as well. not cool to plaster some poor idiot's email address all over the web ;)

Rat Fink
10-17-2008, 11:31 AM

Jynx
10-17-2008, 11:35 AM
The best thing is when someone comes to take a look at a car you have for sale, you two agree on a price, than the next day he comes to pick up the car with less money than was agreed upon. WTF!! :guns:

rated_R
10-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Lol pwned
post up his reply if he does reply to your last email you sent him

snoop101
10-17-2008, 11:39 AM
You kinda wonder how many are scammers?

turbotrip
10-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Luis
No need to SHOUT.

:rofl: :rofl: who the hell is shouting lol

i guarantee this guy is an engineer

r0g3r
10-17-2008, 01:20 PM
What does engineer have ot do wit it?

and yeah Kijiji is a bitch to post on. I posted on there for my old laptop, and I got SO many emails with people wanting me to
ship it to africa, or states and places out side of Canada.

They say they want to pay via paypal and what not.

It looked like a scam cuz all of thsoe types of emails were fairly similar.

Stunt, you should've not wasted ur time on the guy. It was not worthwhile explaining to him. LoL he obviously did not understand

a social dsease
10-17-2008, 01:32 PM
My dad sells alot of stuff on Kijiji, I don't think he's had any problems yet.
I've had some problems though, iPod I bought from a guy on kijiji ended up having a fucked audio output, luckily I fixed it with some parts from my old ipod.
Another time I was going to buy some rims off a guy on kijiji, and he just never showed up to meet me. It was actually totally bizarre, he asked me to meet him in the underground parking at Marlboro mall, I go there and there isn't even underground parking there :dunno: like thanks for wasting my time dude.

Alterac
10-17-2008, 01:33 PM
When i post on kijiji or craigslist I make sure I have everything

Model, PartNum, Pictures (at least 2), Location posted, etc.

Otherwise you get even more stupid questions.

Hi, im looking at your Numark TT200 Turntables, in your ad it says you have 2 to be sold in a package, Does that mean its in 1 big box?

^^ Prime example of stupid.

Masked Bandit
10-17-2008, 01:43 PM
I've been quite lucky on Kijiji. I just sold my truck in two days on there but I had a very detailed write up with four pictures. There wasn't much left to ask about.

project240
10-17-2008, 01:46 PM
I've used kijiji a few times, but with similar experiences. I waste so much time trying to explain things that are so clearly evident if you take 15 seconds to read my description.

Before I moved from Sask, we sold a ridiculous amount of stuff through kijiji and usedregina in the weeks leading up to our move. To be honest, we never had near as many stupid, ridiculous questions and people actually showed up when they said they would.....

It's near impossible to sell anything unless the buyer lives within a 5 minute drive or your $200 item is priced at $30.

CLiVE
10-17-2008, 01:58 PM
I've always had good luck with Kijiji. Sold a vehicle, several baby items (swing, car seat base, etc.) all for asking price. No issues.

As far as vehicles goes I've had a lot better luck with kijiji over canadatrader.

Stunt66
10-17-2008, 01:58 PM
I totally learned my lesson. I just figured they were ski racks and my description was clear enough. I reread the emails and am baffled at his replies, I mean I thought my replies to him were pretty clear but I guess not. I don't see how you can misinterpret "The picture looks really close to the ones i have so i wouldn't be interested in bringing them downtown just for a showing" to "Sorry I thought you had say you had no problem". :facepalm:

jonnycat
10-17-2008, 02:06 PM
I'd never even reply to someone selling something, who used an example picture. If you really want to sell anything, you gotta bea able to prove it's existence with a pic. Maybe he was trying to make sure you weren't a scammer.:dunno:

Stunt66
10-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat
I'd never even reply to someone selling something, who used an example picture. If you really want to sell anything, you gotta bea able to prove it's existence with a pic. Maybe he was trying to make sure you weren't a scammer.:dunno:

I never looked at it that way, I feel like an asshole now.

Manhattan
10-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by a social dsease
My dad sells alot of stuff on Kijiji, I don't think he's had any problems yet.
I've had some problems though, iPod I bought from a guy on kijiji ended up having a fucked audio output, luckily I fixed it with some parts from my old ipod.
Another time I was going to buy some rims off a guy on kijiji, and he just never showed up to meet me. It was actually totally bizarre, he asked me to meet him in the underground parking at Marlboro mall, I go there and there isn't even underground parking there :dunno: like thanks for wasting my time dude.

Did you call the guy right before heading over? I always speak to the buyer/seller on the phone right before leaving to make sure they're gonna be there. If they don't pick up or can't be reached then forget it.

szw
10-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat

I also find that an actual pic helps things sell a lot easier.

Stunt66
10-17-2008, 03:15 PM
I don't think this guy doubted me if i had the rack or not, his main thing was the fitment of it. I made it pretty clear that with the universal clips they would fit anything but he kept replying back with b/s. The actual pic would help tons but i sent him a pic that was 99% accurate to what i had the only difference was the color of a button.

01RedDX
10-17-2008, 03:43 PM

Stunt66
10-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Easy there fella, before you go beaking off you should make sure you get your facts straight. The ski rack i was selling wasn't vehicle specific I made it quite clear that with the UNIVERSAL CLIPS they would fit ANY crossbar. I sent him a pic that was pretty much the exact same as mine the only difference was the color of a button. If you're gonna compare racks atleast use the same one, you can buy a car for $500 is there a difference between that and a $50k bimmer? Yakima racks from what i was told are better quality. I work in retail and I can't stand when people say they can buy a different version of the item for cheaper, of course there's gonna be cheaper versions of a product. I apologized to the guy for being rude already and I only started being a douche after he kept asking the same shit over and over after i already told him the situation.

eblend
10-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
OK, so you don't provide a model number for a vehicle-specific item. So, understandably, the guy wants a closer look at the clips but you refuse to provide a clearer picture of something you're selling. Next, you're asking $80 for a used ski rack, an ok deal, but spending an extra $60 = $140, which is not so good, you can get a brand new Thule with clips for almost that much.

I think you need a crash course in selling, because you come off a little bit rude. Saying things like &quot;I already told you, blah blah blah&quot; is a good way to lose a buyer. You could have been more diplomatic and said &quot;Let's meet at a different location&quot; or something. Honestly, I can't tell who is the bigger douche in this situation.

Ditto on this, completely agree. I can understand if you get pissed working retail when people are being cheap, but your selling an item for 80 bucks, who gives a shit what it goes for new, your price is 80. It seems like a hell of a bargain for someone so they are interested, they want to make sure it will work at $80 and thats all. If they have to get more shit, ofcouse the deal is not as good so they want to make sure they don't have to spend any more.

Seriously, i don't think the buyer was being a dick at all, just a buyer looking to buy your item and wanted to make sure it fits. If you so much as provided him with a part number which he asked for, then maybe he wouldn't be husteling you so much. Fuck, go online, find the rack, jot down the model number, send it to the buyer and whola, easy as that. Or if you really care to sell, look at the damn rack, it would be stamped somewhere on there.

Casa
10-17-2008, 08:40 PM
i've sold probably 20 things on Kijiji from bakers tables to 4 cars, and i've bought like 5 things off there. Its been pure dynamite for me.

Stunt66
10-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Maybe my reading comprehension sucks because i didnt really get the impression that price was the problem but for some reason 01RedDX and eblend seem to think it is:dunno:
I advertised it on a free site with my price and he replied. I guess I never made it clear enough to the potential buyer, 01RedDX and eblend that with the UNIVERSAL CLIPS this rack will fit ANY crossbar, I apologize for that.

eblend, can you please help me re word this line so potential buyers can understand a little better "I cant find the model number online because they are a couple years old". I tried my best to word it but I guess that was a big fail.:banghead: and believe me if the model number was on the rack I would have given it to him. I should have spent more time searching but once i found the pic of my rack with the exception of different color buttons I figured that was enough, boy was I wrong.

Thanks for rubbing it in Casa

eblend
10-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Sold my car on Kijiji too without a problem.

Anyways, sale didn't work out, noone really knows what each party thinks and wants. I am sure eventually it will sell.

C4S
10-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Long story short .. to answer ..

yes .. very hard to sell from Kijiji ..

A. probably 50% ( or more ) are scam .. ( $15K M3, $12K Sti .. $1500 for D3 .. $2000 for 1DIII .. $3000 for 1DSIII .. etc etc .. )

B. 90% people reply .. are low ballers .. etc ..

:dunno: