PDA

View Full Version : wetsanding question?

britishrocco
10-17-2008, 12:07 PM
hi i just paint my car with single stage paint, i was wondering how long should i wait before buffing, and can i wetsand a single stage paint?

beyondpinoy
10-17-2008, 01:23 PM
im not sure about single stage paint, but i know that some people start buffing clearcoat after a few days.... i know some clear coats have to be polished before 72 hours of being sprayed otherwize they become extremly difficult to polish because it gets too hard...

also you have to wait 3 months before you can apply any type of protectant (sealants/wax's)

hoped that helps!

MoneyPit
10-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Wetsanding singlestage is pretty much useless my friend. But if you want to sand and polish it, you can do it in a few weeks.

89s1
10-17-2008, 01:32 PM
3 days of good, solid weather.

but really, at this time of year, I wouldn't touch it with sandpaper for at least a week.

britishrocco
10-17-2008, 02:27 PM
it may be useless, but i just want to remove the small imperfection.

it been a bit more than a week since i painted it so i'll wait a bit more.

thank's

integra_xsi
10-17-2008, 06:13 PM
If the car was baked, after it was painted, you should be able to do it right away. In a typical production shop, a car is polished, the same day it is painted. regardless base clear or single stage.

89s1
10-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by integra_xsi
If the car was baked, after it was painted, you should be able to do it right away. In a typical production shop, a car is polished, the same day it is painted. regardless base clear or single stage.

But if the car was baked, then he knows someone at a bodyshop and would ask these questions in person.

sneek
10-17-2008, 09:58 PM
I am going to guess that there is a very very small chance of the paint being baked. I would probably wait at least a day before wetsanding. Wetsanding is kind a of a dangerous thing if you aren't careful! Waiting might not be a bad plan. Where did you get it painted and what kind of paint was used?

britishrocco
10-28-2008, 11:46 AM
i painted myself using ppg omni paint. i had wait two week before wet sand it. and it was ok for me. it's a winter beater so it dont have to be perfect. thank's for all the answer.