PDA

View Full Version : CAR Decks

Stealth13
10-18-2008, 12:19 AM
I have a Sony MP3 CD Car Deck (CDXGT420U) in my old car I am wanting to swap into my new one. The new car has a eclipse something aftermarket deck in it. Would it be a direct swap for the wiring or what?

ExtremeSi
10-18-2008, 01:31 AM
Most likely yes, but you'd have to rip out the eclipse deck to find out for sure. Since it already has an aftermarket deck in it, chances are someone already wired in a wiring harness that will just plug and play with most decks. Hopefully that's the case.

Stealth13
10-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Yeah I know my old car does have a wiring harness for sure. Are all the wires the same if they have both been fitted with a harness?

Supa Dexta
10-18-2008, 10:11 AM
NO, there's 2 parts to the wiring harness, the half that plugs into the cars connector, and the other half the comes with the deck. The wires meet in the middle and hook up according to what they are.. The connection on one deck won't fit into another brand deck. And the same with the car harness end, if it's a different brand/year of car, it won't have the same connector..

I just swapped a deck in my 1g talon yesterday, heres the wiring:

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Mitsubishi-Wiring.pdf

So basically, the new deck should have wires coming out of it, and you'll need the proper harness to install in the new car, 20bux at futureshop usually. (If the new car already has the harness, then no need to buy one, cut off the eclipse end, and wire in the sony harness, and it should be a simple: purple to purple, red to red.. etc)

94boosted
10-18-2008, 12:53 PM
:werd: Unfortunately the harness are different for every brand.

soupey
10-19-2008, 01:35 PM
walmart sells harnesses for $15, but my guess is that it already has one inside that u can take apart from the deck your removing, then resplice to your new deck's harness.

jus match colour for colour, and make the connections tight, done deal.

sr20s14zenki
10-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Soldering is a GOOD idea if you have access to a soldering iron. Itll save you from having to rip it out again if one of those connections gets loose and makes your speaker cut out, which is ANNOYING.

Stealth13
10-19-2008, 07:28 PM
All i did is cut the harnesses off each deck on the end not coming from the car. I then swapped the harnesses and used those krimp pieces to connect the wires. It took a while but it worked :burnout:

sr20s14zenki
10-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Good job :thumbsup: