PDA

View Full Version : Colin Powell endorses Obama

eljefe
10-19-2008, 08:37 AM
CNN) -- Former Secretary of State Colin Powell announced Sunday that he will be voting for Sen. Barack Obama, citing the Democrat's "ability to inspire" and the "inclusive nature of his campaign."

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell says he is voting for Barack Obama.

"I think he is a transformational figure, he is a new generation coming onto the world stage, onto the American stage, and for that reason I'll be voting for Sen. Barack Obama," Powell said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Powell said he was concerned about what he characterized as a recent negative turn of Republican candidate Sen. John McCain's campaign, such as the campaign's attempts to tie Obama to former 1960s radical Bill Ayers.

"I think that's inappropriate. I understand what politics is about -- I know how you can go after one another, and that's good. But I think this goes too far, and I think it has made the McCain campaign look a little narrow. It's not what the American people are looking for," he said.

Powell, a retired U.S. general and a Republican, was once seen as a possible presidential candidate himself.

Powell said he has some concerns about the direction of the Republican Party, adding that it has "moved more to the right than I would like to see it."

In regard to the financial crisis, which Powell called the candidates' "final exam," Powell said McCain appeared unsteady in dealing with it, while Obama had excelled in handling the situation.

"Obama displayed a steadiness, an intellectual curiosity, a depth of knowledge," Powell said.

Don't Miss
McCain picks up endorsement
Election Center 2008
"He has met the standard of being a successful president, being an exceptional president," he said.

During the campaign, Powell has met with both candidates and said he has a lot of respect for McCain. He said Sunday that he thinks both candidates are qualified to be president.

Speaking on Fox News Sunday, McCain said he respects and admires Powell, and the announcement "doesn't come as a surprise."

"I'm also very pleased to have the endorsement of four former secretaries of state -- Secretaries [Henry] Kissinger, [James] Baker, [Lawrence] Eagleburger, and [Alexander] Haig -- and I'm proud to have the endorsement of well over 200 retired Army generals and admirals," McCain said.

Powell served as Secretary of State under President Bush from 2001 to 2005.

The possibility of a Powell endorsement has been rumored for several months.

On August 13, Powell's office denied a report on Fox News by commentator Bill Kristol that Powell had decided to publicly back Obama at the Democratic National Convention.

Several sources said at the time that Powell had not made a decision about a possible endorsement.

"As always, he is holding his cards close and waiting for more information," one adviser told CNN's John King in August.

Powell himself brushed off queries on any potential presidential nod but told ABC News on August 13 that he would not be going to Denver, Colorado, for the convention.

"I do not have time to waste on Bill Kristol's musings," he said. "I am not going to the convention. I have made this clear."

In February, Powell told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that he was weighing an endorsement of a Democratic or independent candidate.

"I am keeping my options open at the moment," Powell said.

"I have voted for members of both parties in the course of my adult life. And as I said earlier, I will vote for the candidate I think can do the best job for America, whether that candidate is a Republican, a Democrat or an independent," he added.

Powell has offered praise for Obama, calling him an "exciting person on the political stage."

"He has energized a lot of people in America," said Powell, who briefly weighed his own run for the White House in the mid-1990s. "He has energized a lot of people around the world. And so I think he is worth listening to and seeing what he stands for."

Powell's adviser has said that Powell "likes and admires John McCain, and that would be a factor in anything he does if he decides to get more involved."

Another source close to Powell said he has known the Republican nominee for more than three decades "and likes him and is looking for a reason to vote for him. He hasn't found it yet."

The former general, who has largely steered clear of politics since leaving the Bush administration, noted that the next president will need to work to restore America's standing in the world.

Powell gave the keynote address at the Republican National Convention in support of George W. Bush in 2000.

"I will ultimately vote for the person I believe brings to the American people the kind of vision the American people want to see for the next four years," he said. "A vision that reaches out to the rest of the world, that starts to restore confidence in America, that starts to restore favorable ratings to America. Frankly, we've lost a lot in recent years."

Powell's adviser also said at the time that the vice presidential picks for both candidates would be a major factor in his decision, both for the quality of each man's running mate and for what sort of "signal that choice sends about the character and judgment of the candidate."

He also said that a Powell decision to back Obama would not be a surprise.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/19/colin.powell/index.html

BigMass
10-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Colin Powell is such a company man. For all the bitching about how he was lied to by the Bush administration in regards to Iraq he sure has no problem supporting another imperialist like Zbigniew Brzezinski. Powell is either really stupid or a lying company man. I tend to believe the latter.

Supa Dexta
10-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Let's hear what you don't like about what he says here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/27265490#27265490

Anything inaccurate?

Pihsiak
10-19-2008, 09:19 AM
It's not called "Endorsing" it's called "jumping on the Obama bandwagon"

kertejud2
10-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Pihsiak
It's not called "Endorsing" it's called "jumping on the Obama bandwagon"

I call it another nail in the coffin for McCain.

That said, the GOP will convince their base that it was entirely motivated by race and that Powell is an arab muslim who kills babies for sport.

eljefe
10-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
Colin Powell is such a company man. For all the bitching about how he was lied to by the Bush administration in regards to Iraq he sure has no problem supporting another imperialist like Zbigniew Brzezinski. Powell is either really stupid or a lying company man. I tend to believe the latter.

A company man would have stuck by his boss(bush) no matter what. When push came to shove Powell was the guy saying yeah this intel was bad we fucked up. Powell is a very respected American public figure and his endorsement will go a long ways, especially with many republicans. My thoughts are that this is another example of how he is not a company man- were he, he would support the Republican candidate. The man is far more of a "Maverick" then Mcain or Palin could ever be.

Supa Dexta
10-19-2008, 10:13 AM
obama raised OVER $150 million in september. With over 600,000 new donors. average donation was under $100/person. Previous best was $66 million (in august).

wow. over $150 million. in one month.

Xtrema
10-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
obama raised OVER $150 million in september. With over 600,000 new donors. average donation was under $100/person. Previous best was $66 million (in august).

wow. over $150 million. in one month.

As cool as that sounds, it set a dangerous precedence.

Watch candidates from now on will not accept government funding in order to have a huge warchest. And I wonder all these under $100 donations can be tracked at all.

How do you be sure it's not a million Chinese donating $100 each?

Good for Obama thought, doubt McCain can win without some major rigging.

Supa Dexta
10-19-2008, 03:16 PM
http://s.wsj.net/media/obamastlouis_Q_20081018135311.jpg

Do they look chinese to you?

:rofl:

But really, from the guy's that I talk to down south, that are getting out every day, going door to door, signing up voters, they tell the tale, that people really are getting involved. People are getting out, giving donations, and generally just putting some effort into this election, and it's good to see.

Antonito
10-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by eljefe

A company man would have stuck by his boss(bush) no matter what. When push came to shove Powell was the guy saying yeah this intel was bad we fucked up. Powell is a very respected American public figure and his endorsement will go a long ways, especially with many republicans. My thoughts are that this is another example of how he is not a company man- were he, he would support the Republican candidate. The man is far more of a "Maverick" then Mcain or Palin could ever be.

You need to think bigger like Big Mass does, the company isn't the Republicans or Democrats, it's Reptilian Egypto-Jews

You see, now that the NWO shadow government has their chosen candidate (after originally choosing and mysteriously discarding Giulianni, Romney, Clinton, and finally McCain), they need to lend as much credibility as they can to him so that no one will be surprised that the man they voted for was elected president.

kertejud2
10-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

You need to think bigger like Big Mass does, the company isn't the Republicans or Democrats, it's Reptilian Egypto-Jews

You see, now that the NWO shadow government has their chosen candidate (after originally choosing and mysteriously discarding Giulianni, Romney, Clinton, and finally McCain), they need to lend as much credibility as they can to him so that no one will be surprised that the man they voted for was elected president.

I for one welcome our new Reptilian overlords, I am pleased that they had the foresight to vote the Democrats into the House and Senate . I don't really understand their moves myself, but they are the not-so-secret rulers of the world so I will trust that they know what they're doing.

Antonito
10-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2

I for one welcome our new Reptilian overlords, I am pleased that they had the foresight to vote the Democrats into the House and Senate . I don't really understand their moves myself, but they are the not-so-secret rulers of the world so I will trust that they know what they're doing.

It's to give the illusion of choice. People are really mad about the war that is going to shit and the economy and the international bankster run Fed causing havoc etc etc, and they would be horrified to learn that they don't have a choice.

Why the NWO go through all this trouble instead of having all of their media and internet pawns simply say that the war is going well and the economy is fine is kind of odd, but like you said, they're the all powerful ones.

I mean, if it was me organizing their plan to murder 70% of the worlds population, I'd just release a few designer superflus and be done with it. But I guess I lack the flare that our overlords do. It must take a lot of willpower for the ruling elite to actually allow entire generations of themselves to die before they see their plan come to fruition just for the sake of toying with everyone first.

kertejud2
10-19-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

I mean, if it was me organizing their plan to murder 70% of the worlds population, I'd just release a few designer superflus and be done with it. But I guess I lack the flare that our overlords do. It must take a lot of willpower for the ruling elite to actually allow entire generations of themselves to die before they see their plan come to fruition just for the sake of toying with everyone first.

The NWO must have despised Jonas Salk, the idiot didn't even want his vaccine patented claiming that you can't patent something so vital and important. What a chump.

How does one become one of these overlords I wonder? I don't mean being one of the boss', that would be ridiculous, but surely they need bodyguards, agents or greasemen as it were. How do I get in on the ground level if I'm tired of being a pawn in this elaborate chess game and want to make a difference? And obviously I'm not talking about being an idiot and joining the losing team (Toma and BigMass'), I want to make a difference for the good guys, how do I do it, does anybody know? Or is it a 'if you have to ask, you're not qualified' sort of deal?

Godfuader
10-19-2008, 11:30 PM
I personally loved his response. Saying things like a Muslim should be allowed to be in office without prejudice. Further proving how terrible of an idea Sarah Palin truly is. I have an absentee ballot sitting in my bedroom...and its getting ever so clear which side to lean towards.

Eleanor
10-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Brothers got to stick together. :D

CUG
10-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Brothers got to stick together. :D That's about all there is to it, no kidding.

Antonito
10-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by CUG
That's about all there is to it, no kidding.

Yeah, you know how those blacks are :rolleyes: :thumbsdow

Supa Dexta
10-21-2008, 10:07 PM
QnE-YJ---GI

D. Dub
10-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Powell is the whitest black guy in the US

His endorsement is likely the final nail in Mccains coffin.

Godfuader
10-22-2008, 07:25 PM
QnE-YJ---GI

hahaha...Dubya lives on!

Casa
10-22-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
Powell is the whitest black guy in the US

His endorsement is likely the final nail in Mccains coffin.

i wouldn't go that far.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27324419/?GT1=43001

Supa Dexta
10-22-2008, 08:27 PM
pfff.. every poll I've been seeing has it at like 42/51

Casa
10-22-2008, 08:33 PM
pfff.. every poll I've been seeing has it at like 42/51

this just came out tonight?

Xtrema
10-22-2008, 09:08 PM
John McCain gaining among whites and people earning less than $50,000

Rednecks!

Xtrema
10-23-2008, 08:33 AM
UwjlUMoLVvA

:facepalm:

eljefe
10-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
UwjlUMoLVvA

Wow, just wow....what an ignorant ignorant naive woman

Casa
10-23-2008, 05:29 PM
UwjlUMoLVvA

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239023

Fafa
10-23-2008, 07:24 PM
UwjlUMoLVvA

People like that make me mad... they practically make it sound like its wrong to me Muslim.