PDA

View Full Version : Spooling/boosting issue

Redlyne_mr2
10-19-2008, 11:26 AM
So in the higher rpm ranges while shifting gears my car just doesnt throw you back in your seat like it should. It is slow to boost between shifts and Im wondering if this is due in part to the turbo needing a rebuild. It's an older Blitz turbo kit which utilizes the kkk turbo. When i try to spin the compressor wheel it doesnt spin freely like a gt30 wheel, it required some force and doesnt continuously spin easily (think of a worn out skateboard wheel bearing). I'm wondering if this is what could be causing boosting issues or if KKK turbo have this inherit tendancy to begin with.

92gsr
10-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Well a GT30 is a ball bearing turbo so comparing that to a journal turbo isn't a great comparison. You are kinda vague on the details, Does the turbo half excessive shaft play or leak oil at the seals? Do you have a boost gauge, is it at the same boost level it has always been at? Is it the turbo or the motor, does it still have good compression?

dj_honda
10-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah, your turbo is probably journal bearing, where as a gt30r is ball bearing. So the gt30 will spin a lot more easily. Usually a turbo will go out prematurely due to oil issues. Either return or feed. Also from what I have seen, the seals are usually what end up failing....to check this, you could undo your compressor charge pipe and look for traces of oil...

I usually find with bad gas or lower octane gas it won't spool as fast/hard...maybe you just got some bad gas?

legendboy
10-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Even journal bearing turbos will spin for a long time if you give them a good twist with your fingers.

Your turbo sounds very worn and possibly damaged.

You should fix/replace it before it lets go and possibly causes damage to your engine.

88jbody
10-30-2008, 10:21 PM
well if you just decide to replace the turbo becasue it doesn't spin as easy as a gtxx can I have it?

2.0turbo
11-05-2008, 07:40 PM
I doubt it has anything to do with the actual turbo.

Unless its a ball bearing turbo, it won't spin freely if you try to turn it yourself. If it needed a rebuild, you would hear the bearing squealing when you where winding it up. It sounds more like a tuning issue or a leak in your charge system if its not hitting as hard as it used to. Could also be your spring in your wastegate actuator (if internally gated) or possibly not enough pressure going to your wastegate (if externally gated)

Don't waste money on a new turbo until you get to the real problem.

barmanjay
11-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by 2.0turbo
.... If it needed a rebuild, you would hear the bearing squealing when you where winding it up....

It sounds kinda like a mini-supercharger

I've had 2 die on me and that's what they sounded like a week before they blew

RickDaTuner
11-06-2008, 12:01 AM
It may have to do with your waste gate, boost solenoid, restrictions in the vaccums lines, or even a slight exhaust leak pre compressor wheel.

Is this turbo internal or externally gated?.

if for any reason you suspect gunk build up on the thrust bearings of the turbo, running can of FORTE engine flush treatment for an extended period of time will help to alleviate this symptom. really it never hurt to do this flush every 30k.

Turbo spooling problems can sometimes be problematic to diagnose due to the high heat nature of the component. there is always the definite tear down method to confirm weather its a bad turbo or not, but considering the time and cost it would require to do that, there is only one option at the end of the inspection, and that is to rebuild the unit.

I am almost guessing that your waste gate is slow to respond, which means that there may be a broken diaphragm, or a slight vacuum leak.

depending on where your boost control solenoid is as well, and the condition of your PCV system is, the valve inside the module may be clogged as well.

All in in all, there are many factors which contribute to slow spool up.

Redlyne_mr2
11-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Well had another look at it... one of the bolts holding the turbo to the manifold adapter was missing.. hmm .. this could be it lol. I've replaced the bolt but Im going to have to start up the car and pretty much place my hand there to feel for a leak. Wonder how long it takes to get hot?

RickDaTuner
11-06-2008, 11:00 AM
lol about 6 seconds... well just use a length of tube, hold one side to your ear and the other near the manifold. it will amplify the sound throught the tube and allow you to hear for a leak:thumbsup: