PDA

View Full Version : nub Q: Why do u havta have clutch down when starting a manual tranny car?

EstoMax
09-18-2003, 09:00 PM
im just doin a lil 2 minute vid for my vid production class at school and i decided to do a tutorial to the manual transmission.. so i kinda havta explain things so i was wondering why do i havta depress the clutch to start the engine?

thanks

max

V_boy
09-18-2003, 09:03 PM
I know that the older manuals do not need the clutch down before starting. I heard that the new cars put it in so that people don't accidentally start it while it's in gear..... although it could be false.

DUBBED
09-18-2003, 09:04 PM
i would say its a safety precaution incase some meatheads decides to try and start a car in gear...

i saw a post a while back on a diff site with a guy who remote started his gti in gear and "ghost" drove it through his neighbors fence.... haha

Team_Mclaren
09-18-2003, 09:04 PM
so the car wont jump when u start!!!
thats my guess, its a safety thing they add. I think some of the older cars u can start without pressing the clutch!
hope this helps....

EstoMax
09-18-2003, 09:05 PM
thanks :) i thought it would be some other reason.. kinda thought of the in gear thing but i guess people arent smart :P

thx

max

kaput
09-18-2003, 09:12 PM

Ben
09-18-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by kaput
So then why can't you start it unless the clutch is down even if it's in neutral?

That is correct. I can start my car without usng the clutch, but new ones you cant.

3G
09-18-2003, 09:20 PM
if u have the car in gear and you start without the clutch it's just going to jump and stall right away

4wheeldrift
09-18-2003, 09:46 PM
So then why can't you start it unless the clutch is down even if it's in neutral? Its an interlock on the ignition, sensitive to clutch position not transmission.

Khyron
09-18-2003, 11:19 PM
Definately a safety thing - they check for it at Secret Street. Clutch starter lock or something.

Khyron

ryder_23
09-18-2003, 11:38 PM
So then why can't you start it unless the clutch is down even if it's in neutral?

Cause technically the car doesnt know its in neutral, so it just relies on the clutch being depressed. Prolly see in newer cars some day, when its in neutral u wont need clutch, etc...

wontonjohnny
09-19-2003, 12:01 AM
most clutches have a switch behind them... they can easily be bypassed with a jumper... honda's have normally closed swithces and toyotas have normally open swithes i think...

on a honda you can try pushing the clutch about 1 inch and it should start...

and it is there for safety

Aleks
09-19-2003, 07:04 AM
So that means my car is old then :( (I can start my car without pushing the clutch in)

method
09-19-2003, 09:24 AM
my old te72 corolla was like that, so was my friend's beetle... we ran that thing around the shop just on the starter.

Madmax
09-19-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by altima
So that means my car is old then :( (I can start my car without pushing the clutch in)

I think Nissan came out later with that function. I've got a 95 and I can start the car without pushing the clutch.

And why car company decided that you would have to push the clutch to let you start your car, it's just because of the numbers of accident that occured in the past. Specially if you've got a kid in your car and the keys are in the ignition. They can't start the car anymore with the newer car.

MAx

alloroc
09-19-2003, 10:10 AM
A non safety reason is that it is easier on the starter, and easier to start in cold weather. With the clutch engaged you are not trying to spin the transmission shafts and gears on startup. With 80-90W oil that stuff gets pretty thick when it is cold outside.

bart
09-19-2003, 10:26 AM
you can start new cars without pressing the clutch too, but only if you live in europe. this clutch in then start the car is a stupid american rule. but i got used to it now, so even if i know a car can start without the clutch pressed in, i step on it anyway. its a habit now.

THREE40SEVEN
09-19-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Its an interlock on the ignition, sensitive to clutch position not transmission.
Some cars (ie mine) also have a neutral safety switch on the transmission as a back up if the clutch switch fails. The neutral switch also tells the computer when the car is in neutal to advance timing to decrease emissions.