PDA

View Full Version : Best cardio for stamina?

Graham_A_M
10-19-2008, 06:44 PM
hey guys, first off thanks for taking the time to read this. :) I searched and wasn't able to find anything useful.

So my quesiton is, what kind of cardio can I do that aids in being able to work long shifts, and work out extensively and not become absolutely exhausted? My Stamina is the shits... its absolutely horrendous.

I can't even do a full workout without practically dragging my feet out of the gym doors. I'm good for perhaps a 1.5hr to a 2hr (freewieght) workout then I'm spent. :(
Same with working any longer then an 8hr shift at my workplace (to which I'm on my feet all day).

Just wondering what you guys would recommend, that doesn't involve a workout partner. Any success stories that I can learn from?
thanks a lot in advance.

-Cheers

kertejud2
10-19-2008, 09:48 PM
A comfortable 30-45 minute run 4 or 5 times a week (ideally in the morning) is the easiest (and one of the most beneficial) forms of exercise.

It doesn't even need to be strenuous, I was always told that I should be able to have a conversation when running. Treadmills aren't all that great, you don't devellop any muscles on them, if you can't actually run, be it on a track or outside a bike would be your next bet, but you need to go at a tougher level.

rc2002
10-19-2008, 09:54 PM
You should be dragging your feet after a 1.5 to 2 hour free weight session. That's a pretty long weight session - how many muscle groups are you working?

Fafa
10-19-2008, 10:07 PM
I try to do alot of training on my own and what i have found that works great for me is interval training. after reading lots on it on my own it sounds like it works for alot of others too! Basically you go hard for intervals so what your doing is improving your recovery time (also helps shed pounds fast! :D), and it takes alot of less time then going at a slower pace for an 1.5 hours on a treadmill etc. theres 2 programs i usually stick to.

1) sprint 1 min, jog 1 min, sprint 1 min, jog 1 min.... 12 min total (6 sprints, 6 jogs)

2) sprint 100m, jog 100m, sprint 200, jog 100, sprint 300, jog 100, sprint 400, jog 100, and work back down to sprint 100m

Another great one is the 15 or 20 min run, where your almost at a sprint trying to do the most laps in that time so you have something to try beat the next time. As long as your in your maximum heart rate you will make great improvements. i find alot of people get in a zone of the same comfortable pace and think if they go for a long time their making gains but really you just need to make sure you keep pushing yourself. youll save alot of valuable time in the long run and make great improvements!... hope it helps :P

kerry
10-19-2008, 11:05 PM
The best way is to get a good aerobic base (light jogging etc) and then work up to interval training. I guess you could do a brisk walk on an incline if you have no base, or jog at a medium pace. After you've (if you don't already) established a base then goto an interval training program. Kinda like the post above me.

Interval training has given me so much more day to day energy it's retarded. Plus my cardio has gone up quite a bit for jiu jitsu because of it.

max_boost
10-19-2008, 11:06 PM
You just have to find something that works for you.

kertejud2 recommends low intensity cardio. 60-70% of your max heart rate. That's what I do.

richardchan2002 is right. 1.5-2 hour of lifting weights is crazy. Try to keep it under an hour or else you are just over training.

Fafa does high intensity interval training. Works for most but not for me. It's really hard on the body but has been scientifically proven to yield results better than low intensity cardio.

kutt3r
10-20-2008, 10:21 AM
All good info here.. maybe some suggestions..

You say you are on your feet all day
- footwear what can/are you wearing, you would be surprised how good footwear can change how you feel
- running, I would probably not run everyday, every other day or every 3rd day... just due to the risk of injury and overuse seeing as you are already on your feet (rowing/cycling?)

- 1-2hrs of weights is ALOT.. most serious lifters I know will break sessions in to 2 1hr sessions as there is just not enough energy to do an all out 2hr session. I would suggest supersetting for stamina and endurance (eg light deadliftsx12-15 then to incline bench x12-15, continue on with 30sec to 1 min break between super sets)

More information with current work out and goals might help too.

Lots of different ways to attack it you just have to figure out what will work for you.

kerry
10-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Here's the piece of information that no one ever seems to advise. See a dietician or a nutritionist. You're probably not getting as much of the good complex carbs and vit/min that you could be. Eating right, believe it or not, makes a world of a difference. Go see a real dietician though. Not internet forums. Seriously. It'll change your world. It did for me!

Graham_A_M
10-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Hey guys, thanks a lot for the responses. I'll head out jogging then, doing the different things mentioned in this thread.
Too bad its getting so cold out for that.:(
Worst case scenario I'll just hop on the exercise bikes at the gym.

:dunno:
For the 1.5hr to two hour workout, it seems like a long time but Its only a few muscle groups. Usually for one time I'll do chest, arms, some shoulders and maybe one other muscle (as in abs)

the other time per week I go, I do lets say deadlifts, squats, all the other back muscles and remaining shoulders.

So with three sets per "excercise" and typically two different variations of an excercise per muscle (or sometimes muscle group), that usually equats to about a 1.5 to a two hour workout regimine.

It is long though, so I'll head out and do these exercises, and then see how it goes. Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated. :)

beyondpinoy
10-28-2008, 05:00 PM
i found that interval running works best for me.. i sweat the most during that time.. but because i play lots of basketball too.. i try to do biking instead, less impact on my joints

dropdat
10-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Why don't you change your workout plan? Instead of only going twice a week and cramming all these different muscles in, try going lets say 4 or 5 times a week and work out 2 muscles a day in higher doses (4 exercises per muscle). You should also try to throw in your cardio on a daily basis too.

Your workout times seem a bit crazy to me. When I'm at the gym I sprint for 10 minutes, go do weight training on 2 muscles (4 exercises, 4 sets each) then do rowing/bike/jog for an hour and my entire workout only takes 2 hours 15 minutes.

Also, what's your diet like? did you look at that at all? I know that whenever I eat any fast food I instantly feel like shit and it almost seems like my body wants to shut down afterwards.