PDA

View Full Version : landlord issues.

Buffalo Soldier
10-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Ok so heres my problem. My roomate signed a 6month lease for us for where we are living now. Well we decided to move so we will not be signing a new lease. The lease ends at the end of november.

The landlord said we can move out early if we want to at the end of October and end the lease early. My friggin roomate said we will move out, not try to move out. She said this october 6th. Well i cannot find another suitable place to live so i don't want to move yet.

My roommate said she already told him so we have to move, she doesent want to screw him over she said because he had plans for other occupants in November. Do we have to move based on this oral agreement or does it have to be in writing?

Any help is much appreciated.

Xtrema
10-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Your roommate screwed you, there's nothing you can do unless the lease is under your name as well.

I think the your only way out is talk to the landlord and see if he can honor the original lease and delay the other tenant a bit.

Or offer the landlord a term that's better than what he got with the new tenant.

Or ask your roommate who created this mess for a place to stay until you find a new one. How long have you been looking? Rental market ain't take bad and I assume your roommate gave you enough time, no?

It's not the landlord's fault and he sounds like very accommodating.

Legally, unless your name is on the lease, you have no right to stay.

Buffalo Soldier
10-20-2008, 11:10 AM
So is there any way my roommate can back out of this oral agreement?

urban.one
10-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Kinda strange the landlord wouldnt get something in writing from the two of you as tenants.

If theres no new tenants signed on for the next month then there wouldnt be much problem. If its already rented, then this will be a mess if you decide to stay. Youd be jerking around the landlord and the new tenants.

Buffalo Soldier
10-20-2008, 11:52 AM
ya its stupid because my roomate made the mistake of saying yes we will move and not yes we will try to move.

What if we just stay and tell the landlord toobad we're staying, the lease ends nov 30th?

ae92gts
10-20-2008, 12:11 PM
an oral agreement is almost as good as a written contract (IMO).
if two people come to an understanding or agreement, i think the agreement shoudl be honored.

urban.one
10-20-2008, 12:25 PM
well youd have 3 options if you decide to stay:
-talk to him. admit the roommate made the comments but he wasnt speaking for the both of you and you are of the intention of staying. or just plain tell him you changed your mind, theres nothing in writing, and your staying. it would take him longer than a month to evict you im sure.

-bring it up with your landlord now that you have decided to stay until the end of your lease and pretend that he must have misundestood your roommate. again, dont move out.

-pretend like the conversation never happened. dont move out. when the landlord and new tenants knock on your door on the first of november, act surprised. tell them your lease isnt up till the end of the november. present the landlord with a copy of your lease.

Originally posted by Buffalo Soldier
ya its stupid because my roomate made the mistake of saying yes we will move and not yes we will try to move.

What if we just stay and tell the landlord toobad we're staying, the lease ends nov 30th?

Buffalo Soldier
10-20-2008, 12:51 PM
thanks for the info!

Xtrema
10-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
-pretend like the conversation never happened. dont move out. when the landlord and new tenants knock on your door on the first of november, act surprised. tell them your lease isnt up till the end of the november. present the landlord with a copy of your lease.

The problem with that is, the lease does not have his name on it, just his roommate. And chances are the the lease will probably have a no sub-lease clause that probably mean Buffalo should not be there in the first place and will be removed.

But if you REALLY want to cause trouble, you can stay and screw your landlord AND you roommate. She will not get the damage deposit back and he will have to look for another client in a month. The fact is that by the time the landlord get the eviction order, you'll out of there anyway.

seadog
10-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Those are the kind of actions that make landlords hate tenants. To just bury your head in the sand and pretend like it never happened is a shitty thing to do, both as a tenant and as a person. You're going to cause quite a bit of trouble for both the landlord and the new people coming in. Bottom line is your roomie screwed you. Grow up and deal with it instead of pretending it didn't happen.

It reminds me of a place I was at, the guy had a few free bikes for us to use. One guy took the nicest bike, and left it at the trainstation over a weekend with a shitty dollar store lock, and sure enough the bike was gone when he came back. Basically said to the super generous/accommodating landlord that it was his problem, if you wanted me to pay for things I foolishly let get stolen, something should have been in writing.

Zewind
10-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Put a muzzel on your roommate and see if you can work something out with your landlord.