PDA

View Full Version : US car importing Question

bbrannan
10-20-2008, 04:12 PM
couldn't find anything searching for this specific question...

we all know the rules, paperwork and general crap involved with bring a US car into canada, but my question is....

if you have a friend/relative buy a US car for you, place a temp reg and insurance on it then drive it to canada for you, can you then register and insure the car in canada?

more specific example would be buddy from US drives a 2007 R32 golf up. i wait for the temp reg and insurance to expire. then try to insure and register the vehicle as say a canadian model 2007 gti or golf..

i have heard of 2 people doing this sucessfully in BC with cars from seattle.

At what point during the canadian insurancing and then registration can they tell that the car is a US vehicle of a different trimline? vin#

would it pop up on their computers or do they manually look for the 4th-8th characters of the vin to look for non canadian vehicle series/model

if this is all somewhat true then you must have to have friends that work as an insurance agent or at the registry

rc2002
10-20-2008, 04:22 PM
If you do get this to work, I'd be interested to know. Seems like you could avoid all the BS customs/duties/import fees if you can get your American friend to drive it up for you.

The things I'd be most worried about is getting warranty or insurance coverage denied later. That would kill the deal.

dannie
10-20-2008, 04:23 PM
It would never be registered as a Canadian car. The people you "heard" this from, are full of it. When a vehicle is brand spanking new, they have a piece of paper called a NVIS. This must be original when you register the car. If you do not have the NVIS, you are required to undergo an out of province inspection. The form that would be sold to you will say that it is from an unknown jurisdiction. This is a heads up to the mechanic. He will then (or should) automatically be checking to see if the car is canadian.

If the vehicle is used, it would come up in the registry system one of two ways. 1. As being registered in another province or 2. Won't come up at all. The second one signals that it is from the U.S. The registry will then do the same steps as I listed above. Either way, you have to follow the guidelines for importing a vehicle.

Team_Mclaren
10-20-2008, 04:28 PM
this can never fly, when the temp reg expires, you cannot just register it under the Canadian system. They would look at the vin then laugh at you.

schocker
10-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Yes, it would not work, and there is no such thing as a 2007 VW R32.

bbrannan
10-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by schocker
Yes, it would not work, and there is no such thing as a 2007 VW R32.

sorry i meant an 08 which was released in 07.

schocker
10-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by bbrannan

sorry i meant an 08 which was released in 07.
i know, i was just breakin' balls

bbrannan
10-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by dannie
It would never be registered as a Canadian car. The people you "heard" this from, are full of it. When a vehicle is brand spanking new, they have a piece of paper called a NVIS. This must be original when you register the car. If you do not have the NVIS, you are required to undergo an out of province inspection. The form that would be sold to you will say that it is from an unknown jurisdiction. This is a heads up to the mechanic. He will then (or should) automatically be checking to see if the car is canadian.

If the vehicle is used, it would come up in the registry system one of two ways. 1. As being registered in another province or 2. Won't come up at all. The second one signals that it is from the U.S. The registry will then do the same steps as I listed above. Either way, you have to follow the guidelines for importing a vehicle.

so i guess from what you said about the only hope you would have would be that you bought the car used from states and when trying to register it it comes up as the first scenario where it shows out of province. you then show them your out of province done by your Corrupt certified mechanic. and bingo you are registered.

just to clear things up... i understand that this 95% won't work. i more less started the thread to discuss. and see if anybody knows anyone thats lucked out.

as of now the only documentation that i've found is from the immigration canada site that states "Vehicles can be imported as personal effects upon immigration into Canada". but doesn't state if you need to do all the other stuff.

nbaker00
10-21-2008, 10:13 AM
This won't happen.
They've changed it now that when you go to register your car in Canada, you need to show the registry your stamped form 1 and form 2 inspection.

dannie
10-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Kind of. If it shows up as being registered in another province, you would have had to go through the process in that province as well. The out of province inspection and the federal inspection. So either way, you are not getting out of it being a US vehicle. The gov has been cracking down on mechanics and making sure they are doing things right.

There was a mechanic in Okotoks that was doing out of province inspections using someone elses inspection book. It didnt take long for the gov to find out and the shitty thing is that all the people who went to the guy for the inspection had to get re-inspected. The majority of people had to re-pay to get this done. Not a great thing at all.

As far as "imported as personal effects," you are given the form 1 at the border for that too. So that vehicle is tracked from that point with registrar of imported vehicles. Plus, that person would have to be immigrating to canada and not just up for a visit. All the paperwork would still have to be done.

2002civic
10-21-2008, 11:09 AM
this would never work as the registry office would never let it through, the r32 has a different vin then a gti or rabbit and says so

Buffalo Soldier
10-21-2008, 01:56 PM
My buddy got a BMW from the states. It was not properly registered because he didn't wanna pay all that BMW import letter fee shit. So he sold the car to a friend and he managed to register and insure it no prob?? This was maybe 3 months ago. I don't know all the details but i think thats pretty much the story.

dannie
10-21-2008, 02:27 PM
^ Then someone forged something. Either that or someone is lying to you.

zain123
10-21-2008, 03:42 PM
like norman said
you will need the stamp off the border on the forms to get it registered