PDA

View Full Version : people who work in the parking booths at u of c

qbrown
10-20-2008, 11:06 PM
I park in lot 11 at the U of C evey single day and go through those toll booths with the same people in them every day and yet today I left school at around 2 with an intention to come back later at around 6 to do some studying. I kept my parking ticket that I had bought earlier that morning and thought that maybe I could just drive into lot 11 again and hopefully there wouldn't be a lady in the toll booth telling me that I need to buy a new ticket. It's already $4 to park in there for the day but you can buy a re-entry ticket for like $.75 more but this morning I didn't really know that I would be coming back later to study. So I drive up and stop at the toll booth and ask this lady to cut me some slack and just let me in with the same ticket I bought earlier but no dice. I argued with her for a good while and then parked in a free lot a ways away.

Is it so hard to just let me go through when there is no parking supervisor or anything there, just a bitchy lady in a small toll booth who can't seem to give me a break in a fucking parking lot?

Unbelievable.

colinxx235
10-20-2008, 11:08 PM
ummm correct me if i'm wrong on this, but if you have a ticket for a parking lot couldn't you just enter lot 12 or 13 after 4or5pm and park there with the ticket... my friend phil did this all the time, I have lot 12 so I can do w/e after a certain time, but he got away with it

dj_rice
10-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Why should she break the rules and risk getting fired just for you?The lady should of bitchslapped u for being so stoopid

qbrown
10-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Why should she break the rules and risk getting fired just for you?The lady should of bitchslapped u for being so stoopid

are you serious? how could she get fired? if her supervisor asks she copuld easilly just say i had the re-entry ticket and be done with it.

doesn't really seem like a big deal to me

badatusrnames
10-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

:werd: Thems the rules, why should she bend them for you? What makes you so special? If she lets you in, then you are going to tell all of your friends about this and then everyone is going to expect to be allowed a re-entry for free by the bitchy old parking booth lady.

qbrown
10-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

:werd: Thems the rules, why should she bend them for you? What makes you so special? If she lets you in, then you are going to tell all of your friends about this and then everyone is going to expect to be allowed a re-entry for free by the bitchy old parking booth lady.

i wouldn't say its breaking the rules to give a little common courtesy. i even offered her $1 for the $.75 increase and she still said no

badatusrnames
10-20-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by qbrown

i wouldn't say its breaking the rules to give a little common courtesy. i even offered her $1 for the $.75 increase and she still said no

Common courtesy is holding open a door, picking something up for someone after they've dropped it, etc. What you wanted her to do for you was not common courtesy.

I'm sure she wanted to help you, but it's a slippery slope, if she lets you in, then she has to do the same for everyone, which she can't possibly do. It's not fair to randomly apply a different standard to you, but not to all.

qbrown
10-20-2008, 11:28 PM
if by everyone you mean the 0 people that are around at that time?

buh_buh
10-20-2008, 11:35 PM
don't be a cheapass. Them's the rules. I don't see how there's any argument here.

qbrown
10-20-2008, 11:36 PM
think of it this way

if you went to buy something at a convenience store and the total comes to $4.30 and you only have $4.25 would you be pissed if they told you "Sorry you don't have enough."?

Stealth22
10-20-2008, 11:37 PM
think of it this way

if you went to buy something at a convenience store and the total comes to $4.30 and you only have $4.25 would you be pissed if they told you "Sorry you don't have enough."?

Not really..its not the 5 cents, its the fact that I don't have money to buy that item. $4.29 vs $4.30 maybe...but we're talking 75 cents extra here for the re-entry. If you think you might just be coming back, buy the re-entry pass. If you end up not coming back and you're worried about the 75 cents, do without Tim Hortons for one day.

And while we're ranting about U of C parking...

To a heck of a lot of people who park in Lot 11: LEARN TO PARK YOUR GOD DAMN CAR!!

Drive through the 'gravel pit' area of Lot 11, and you'll find 3 or 4 cars in EACH AISLE that are parked in 2 spots, or have left room for "almost one car" in the spot next to them. If you're going to be sharing the lot with others, at least have the decency to take the extra two seconds to park your car carefully. Just because the lot is made of gravel and has no yellow lines marking the spots, doesn't mean that you can park however you damn well please. The cement blocks are there for a reason!

And I understand that the jagoff next to you has parked like an ass, so you're just following the pattern. But I'm talking like, 3 or 4 cars in each aisle parked like idiots, when the previous cars are parked perfectly fine. In the first aisle (and more recently, the second aisle now too), the lot is paved, so there are lines. In those two aisles (plus the better section thats completely paved), every damn car is parked properly. I'm sure most of us remember that picture where the BMW is parked in two spots, and theres that "Dear Person" note...I've seen at least one car each day in Lot 11 parked like that! That's not parking the car a bit to the side when someones in a rush to get to class...thats taking up two spots because you can't be bothered to think that just MAYBE, someone MIGHT want to park in that empty parking space next to you!

Parking Services should have the brains to drive through there maybe at least...ONCE A YEAR?!! They do nothing but drive around in their gas-guzzling SUV's anyway. Might as well do something, earn some revenue for the university. Hell, its only a $30 fine for parking improperly, but write one of those each weekday, and in two semesters you've got almost 5 grand. It isn't much, but the U of C loves to make money off poor students, right? It'll help keep those fuel-thirsty RAV4's and Explorers running.

EK 2.0
10-20-2008, 11:40 PM

think of it this way

They do that...

$4.25 is NOT $4.30...

If you owed a bookie 500 bucks would he let the debt slide if you gave him 499 dollars??

badatusrnames
10-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

They do that...

$4.25 is NOT $4.30...

If you owed a bookie 500 bucks would he let the debt slide if you gave him 499 dollars??

:werd:

It's about principle and precedent. If they let you pay $4.25 instead of $4.30, then on principle, they must allow everyone to do this, since you are no more special than anyone else.

It becomes a slippery slope. $4.25 becomes the new $4.30 and then before you know it, $4.20 becomes the new $4.25...

Stop being cheap and stop whining.

Casa
10-20-2008, 11:56 PM
OP PM for free parking if you want.

eb0i
10-20-2008, 11:59 PM
I park in lot 11 at the U of C evey single day and go through those toll booths with the same people in them every day and yet today I left school at around 2 with an intention to come back later at around 6 to do some studying. I kept my parking ticket that I had bought earlier that morning and thought that maybe I could just drive into lot 11 again and hopefully there wouldn't be a lady in the toll booth telling me that I need to buy a new ticket. It's already $4 to park in there for the day but you can buy a re-entry ticket for like $.75 more but this morning I didn't really know that I would be coming back later to study. So I drive up and stop at the toll booth and ask this lady to cut me some slack and just let me in with the same ticket I bought earlier but no dice. I argued with her for a good while and then parked in a free lot a ways away.

Is it so hard to just let me go through when there is no parking supervisor or anything there, just a bitchy lady in a small toll booth who can't seem to give me a break in a fucking parking lot?

I am unbelievably cheap.

Edited.

Boomph
10-21-2008, 12:42 AM
This is kind of off topic from the OP's original post, but is it just me or have others noticed that mroe people are driving to school and parking in day lots this year more than the last few years?

I usually park at lot 32 and more than often the lot is completly full after 10am and doesnt free up until 2 pm in the afternoon

I agree with the replies, its more of the principles and rules if the booth workers let you in it means she is breaking the rule for future occurances, its almost like buying a re-entry ticket but asking them to write a different make and color because you will be "changing" cars later in the day...

max_boost
10-21-2008, 01:27 AM
Wow, you think the lady owes you something? You actually argued with her? You asked her a question and she said no. You even proceeded to do a write up about it on Beyond. Why? So we can make fun of you for being a fucking cheap ass? Wow. Absolutely Wow!

LMAO!

You know what though, I bet that lady does let people in for free but just not you. :rofl:

gqmw
10-21-2008, 04:28 AM

It's not really common courtesy to bend rules for the benefit of you.
Plus if it worked for you today, I'm sure tomorrow tons of your friends would be trying that as well.

And what good does it do for her to offer her $1, she doesn't get to keep it anyways...

Team_Mclaren
10-21-2008, 05:10 AM
ethics

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ethics

And yes you are retarded. Its like asking some food joint to give you free food because they are making them anyways:dunno:

The_Rural_Juror
10-21-2008, 07:40 AM
Haven't you learn? Brown people can't do business with Chinese people. If she let you in, she go bankrupt!

But seriously don't be a cheap ass. Lets get ethical, ethical!

YUiPPCLLeKw

schocker
10-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Haven't you learn? Brown people can't do business with Chinese people.
From what I have learned from russell peters, the asians will sell the indians designer bags by looos voooten.

I dont feel like reading the thread, but parking this morning I tried to give the lady $3 instead of $4 and she just wouldnt let me in, what is up with that:rolleyes:

benyl
10-21-2008, 09:11 AM

I can't believe that they let you into University when you don't even know what the definition of 'Common Courtesy' is. What you were asking for was a 'Favor'. Look it up.

That lady has no reason to offer you a favor as there is nothing you can do for her in return.

Eleanor
10-21-2008, 09:30 AM
:rofl:

em2ab
10-21-2008, 09:38 AM
I hope you're not an economics major. Prices are the way they are because of people taking freebies. If zero people pumped gas and drove away without paying, prices wouldn't be so high. If zero people shoplifted then prices at the store wouldn't be so high. If zero people tried to sneak into pay lots then the admission wouldn't be so high. You're the one breaking the rules, causing them to jack up the prices to cover what you're getting for free.

rc2002
10-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Casa
just park behind the bank at the TD Canada Trust right near the school (across the bridge)
i parked there the last two years for free, no tickets.

I hope you don't still park there. Admitting you park illegally and even giving the location on a public forum isn't a good idea. They ticket you and can tow you if you park in that mall parking lot.

colinxx235
10-21-2008, 10:33 AM
^^

haha call parking authority take a picture of his car off beyond and tell them to hunt? lol

Casa
10-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

I hope you don't still park there. Admitting you park illegally and even giving the location on a public forum isn't a good idea. They ticket you and can tow you if you park in that mall parking lot.

i got a ticket before when i parked in the mall parking lot. I moved than behind and didn't get ticketed. But you make a good point, i don't want to put it on a public forum so i just edited that post.. A few other beyond members that go to the U of C park there too for free ( i didn't think about telling where it was cause I don't go to the U of C anymore). I just thought I'd help the OP cause he's cheap.

Eleanor
10-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Why don't you take mormon classes for free parking? :rofl:

benyl
10-21-2008, 10:46 AM
^^ why did you bother editing it when Richard quoted you.

Casa parks behind the TD bank illegally!!!!!

r0g3r
10-21-2008, 10:55 AM
one time I told her I forgot my wallet and she let me in for free, she was nice.

I think the problem was your attitude and the way you asked the question, like you were entitled to get in for only 1 extra dollar. Maybe stop being a little snot and be polite next time.

Toms-SC
10-21-2008, 11:56 AM
What a terrible thread.

Casa
10-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by benyl
^^ why did you bother editing it when Richard quoted you.

hahahaha gud wun
cause technically i'm not in the "mall" parking lot

EK 2.0
10-21-2008, 02:58 PM

I wanna play too....

nobb
10-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Why don't you take mormon classes for free parking? :rofl:

I heard about this one. The place is really close to engineering too, which is good. Anyone know if you actually have to attend the classes?

Boosted Gtir
10-21-2008, 03:34 PM
:hijack:

eb0i
10-21-2008, 04:37 PM

I can't believe that they let you into University when you don't even know what the definition of 'Common Courtesy' is. What you were asking for was a 'Favor'. Look it up.

That lady has no reason to offer you a favor as there is nothing you can do for her in return.

I LOVE how he offers her a $0.25 tip as an incentive to get in again and thinks that he is being generous :rofl:

badatusrnames
10-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by eb0i

I LOVE how he offers her a $0.25 tip as an incentive to get in again and thinks that he is being generous :rofl:

:rofl:

Boat
10-21-2008, 05:16 PM
You can't honestly think your argument is still justified after reading what everyone has to say, right?