PDA

View Full Version : torrenting at UofC

rockwolf2001
10-21-2008, 01:46 PM
it seems as if they have blocked torrent downloads at UofC... does anyone know a way around it?

7thgenvic
10-21-2008, 01:47 PM
what program are you using! All they have done is controlled the upload speed...

rockwolf2001
10-21-2008, 01:50 PM
i'm using azureus and my friend was using utorrent
and theyve actually made it so that when you click: download this torrent

it will either not download the torrent itself or itll redirect to a page load error

buh_buh
10-21-2008, 02:00 PM
I've been getting upwards of 900kb/s uploading at the U, average 200-300
downloading though is another story, although I think its more a product of lack of seeders than it is with the speed allowed. Ive downloaded at around 200-300kb/s a few weeks ago.

trliniar
10-21-2008, 03:01 PM
when i do try and download the torrent itself i do get errors with page load and such, but for some reason this only happens when im in scurfield the business building. I have classes in science theaters and and have no issues with starting brand new torrents, and downloading current torrents in progress. I reach speeds of around 300kb/s donwloading

Also it is easier if you have torrents started from home, then just open your program and continue downloading them.
BTW im using bitcomet to download.

rockwolf2001
09-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Murray Fraser Hall sucks for torrenting... best place to torrent on campus?

toastgremlin
09-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Can't you buy a seedbox or wait until you get home? This is probably most of the reason why AirUC coverage is alternatingly spotty as hell and nonexistent.

Zero102
09-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by rockwolf2001
it seems as if they have blocked torrent downloads at UofC... does anyone know a way around it?

They probably blocked it for a reason, torrents eat a ton of bandwidth (especially upload bandwidth) and screw everybody else over. Have you tried just paying attention in class instead of downloading torrents in them? It has the side effect of getting you better grades as well. :dunno:

icky2unk
09-30-2009, 02:01 PM
I torrent on break? While I study?

Download missed shows from previous night to watch later in the evening when I get home. Saves time?

jwslam
10-01-2009, 12:41 AM
yea trying to open new torrents sometimes gives me an error loading page

i def see the upload speed has limited

on another note, jacking your thread, i can't SC on campus because port 6112 is closed? any ideas?

liquidboi69
10-01-2009, 01:39 AM
U of C did this last year. They blocked the download of .torrent files, then allowed it again. Then it seems they have blocked it again.

Even if you CAN download the .torrent file, when the files become unblocked the traffic is going to be so insane that DLs will go extremely slow (I torrented all last year)

Another thing to note, one of the mods works for IT at U of C. Careful what you say haha.

dimi
10-01-2009, 09:59 AM
I used to get really pissed off when I couldn't even load blackboard but the guy next to me was downloading at 300-400kb/s, but then I started downloading too. Fuck everyone else and their bandwidth.

jwslam
10-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by liquidboi69

Even if you CAN download the .torrent file, when the files become unblocked the traffic is going to be so insane that DLs will go extremely slow

weekend classes, evening classes, and classes where nobody else goes FTW

huck
10-01-2009, 10:49 AM
i dont know how you guys are getting 300-400kb/s. i'm barely reaching 150kb/s.

Bizzareo
10-01-2009, 11:12 AM
I would rather not get a non academic suspension by torrenting at school, its part of the policy you agree to when you use there internet.

liquidboi69
10-01-2009, 04:23 PM
BTW Rocky if you have any friends on MSN, just get them to sent you the .torrent file over msn. Then u can open it and just DL at school. Or just setup the DL's at home and resume them at school.

nodoubtt
10-01-2009, 08:10 PM
go for newsgroups, its encrypted and so they can't even detect what youre downloading

dimi
10-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by nodoubtt
go for newsgroups, its encrypted and so they can't even detect what youre downloading

:thumbsup:

Prelude_dude
10-03-2009, 02:46 PM
i think mount royal blocked torrenting too, but my friend usually just has a bunch of torrents started at home, and then just starts them at school, so he doens't actually download them at school, just continues them

dandia89
10-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by trliniar
when i do try and download the torrent itself i do get errors with page load and such, but for some reason this only happens when im in scurfield the business building. I have classes in science theaters and and have no issues with starting brand new torrents, and downloading current torrents in progress. I reach speeds of around 300kb/s donwloading

Also it is easier if you have torrents started from home, then just open your program and continue downloading them.
BTW im using bitcomet to download.

I used to work for IT in scurfield hall and they banned it recently because one of the professors was downloading a ton of shit through torrents which wasted tons of bandwidth and ontop of that, it wasn't legal stuff he was downloading

goodmusic
10-04-2009, 02:05 PM
you can download something called the hotspot shield which allows you to proxy-download at the school. sometimes its pretty slow, but atleast it works. the hotspot shield is also good for watching shows on sites that are blocked in canada i.e. mtv.com , hulu.com