PDA

View Full Version : Local Dealerships pay?

2BLUE
10-21-2008, 07:18 PM
I have a friend that has several interviews in the city and they wont tell her what kinda pay they offer on the phone they all want her in person...So if anyone knows roughly let me know..

used/ new car sales

TomcoPDR
10-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Why doesn't she go up to the dealership/interviewer and ask???

dj_rice
10-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Where is she applying at?

Obviously salesmen at Benz/Bently etc salesmen make more than say Honda salesmen

2BLUE
10-22-2008, 01:17 AM
Shes nowhere close to calgary right now...

Every dealership has called her back!!!

I just was trying to get an idea what they pay..

ryanallan
10-22-2008, 01:21 AM
i used to be a lot kid at a dealership (like 6 years ago), and i remember a sales guy showing me his pay for selling a chev 1500 truck. it was $700.

i dont remember him saying if he got a salary on top of the commission though...

2002civic
10-22-2008, 07:52 AM
it varies from dealer to dealer, car to car, it is usually straight commision, but youll get minimum wage if its more than what you've sold, and you can make more selling honda's then bentley's, it depends on how many you sell...

Boosted Gtir
10-22-2008, 08:48 AM
no offence but this is kinda a dumb question.

I know your just looking for general range but in car sales there really is not one because it all depends on the person and dealership.

Zero102
10-22-2008, 02:28 PM
If she has a few interviews then she will find out pretty quickly what they pay. When hiring new salespeople they aren't likely to negotiate on the pay they offer, so it does you no good to know what anybody else is paying, since she will have to go to the interview to find out what that dealership pays anyways. Go to all the interviews, then decide

That said, if you list some of the dealerships, maybe somebody on here who works at one could help clue you in, but that could work against you too.

Sorath
10-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Where is she applying at?

Obviously salesmen at Benz/Bently etc salesmen make more than say Honda salesmen

lol...... how do u know that for sure?

to the op, depending on what the dealership pay plan is, at honda we get paid 1% of the selling price or 25% of the gross profit, whichever is greater. and bonus levels get tacked on

mo_money2supe
10-22-2008, 04:19 PM
I worked as a lot manager a few years ago at a local "import" dealership. From what I recall, for the entry level and mid-sized vehicles, the sales(wo)men made $150 base per vehicle and a portion of whatever add'l accessories that were tacked on (ie. propacks, alarms, tint, etc). The dealers were strictly on commission but even the "better" sales(wo)men only earned anywhere from $60-$80k per year; nothing "great" by any means especially considering the amount of hours they're usually there for (10+ hrs Monday to Saturday).

-STi-
10-23-2008, 04:05 PM
I was just recently a lot kid and I remember talking to the sales people and they made 30% commission(of the money the dealer made -- payable gross?) . There was a $500 pack. I think that is how it was.

I remeber for a SRT8 300c the pay for that was something like 1000 dollars or so.

mo_money2supe
10-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Domestic dealers tend to make a larger earning on their vehicles due to their higher markups; hence why one can typically get better deals on domestics than imports (esp. trucks). Markups on entry to mid-sized imports on the other hand, are usually only in the order of $1-2k.

-STi-
10-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Right now though it seem selling domestics would be the way to go. Although you potentially make more money selling the big ol' domestic there was about ZERO traffic in the domestic dealer.

I had a buddy working at Honda and they were selling way more cars a month then we could even dream of. It seems selling quanity is the way to make money. But with this market is very hard.

jonnycat
10-24-2008, 01:21 PM
It should be anywhere from 20% - 30% commission with a base for the 1st 3 months. You make your good money on used cars not new ones. Domestic dealers are everywhere and have to price their invetory accordingly on new vehicles, as customers can price shop by phone for the best deal. When applying for sales look for a dealer with a large used inventory.

New vehicles generally have a 10% markup ($20K = $2000 markup), before any programs.

On the used side ,you can have $5000 gross in a $10K car.

2BLUE
10-24-2008, 04:39 PM
I know the places that have called her back are...

calgary bmw
bmw gallery
crowfoot dodge
calgary honda
crowfoot ford

Thats just within this week....Almost every dealer has called her back. She has skillz yo!

2002civic
10-25-2008, 08:37 AM
its car sales, almost anyone gets a call back in calgary as every dealer is looking for people...

Sorath
10-26-2008, 02:05 AM
3 of them are owned by the same owner

-STi-
10-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by 2002civic
its car sales, almost anyone gets a call back in calgary as every dealer is looking for people...

This is true. If you have a pulse you can be a salesperson.