PDA

View Full Version : 14 reasons Main Street loses big while Wall Street wins

treg50
10-21-2008, 10:52 PM
A good article telling like it is about the U.S. and their market down turns and hopefully some of us here can learn a lesson from it and prevent it from fully taking root here.

Wall Street's 'Disaster Capitalism for Dummies'
14 reasons Main Street loses big while Wall Street sabotages democracy

By Paul B. Farrell, MarketWatch
Last update: 7:10 p.m. EDT Oct. 20, 2008

ARROYO GRANDE, Calif. (MarketWatch) -- Yes, we're dummies. You. Me. All 300 million of us. Clueless. We should be ashamed. We're obsessed about the slogans and rituals of "democracy," distracted by the campaign, polls, debates, rhetoric, half-truths and outright lies. McCain? Obama? Sorry to pop your bubble folks, but it no longer matters who's president.

Why? The real "game changer" already happened. Democracy has been replaced by Wall Street's new "disaster capitalism." That's the big game-changer historians will remember about 2008, masterminded by Wall Street's ultimate "Trojan Horse," Hank Paulson. Imagine: Greed, arrogance and incompetence create a massive bubble, cost trillions, and still Wall Street comes out smelling like roses, richer and more powerful!

Yes, we're idiots: While distracted by the "illusion of democracy" in the endless campaign, Congress surrendered the powers we entrusted to it with very little fight. Congress simply handed over voting power and the keys to trillions in the Treasury to Wall Street's new "Disaster Capitalists" who now control "democracy."

Why did this happen? We're in denial, clueless wimps, that's why. We let it happen. In one generation America has been transformed from a democracy into a strange new form of government, "Disaster Capitalism." Here's how it happened:
The rest of the article: http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/14-reasons-main-street-loses/story.aspx?guid=%7BF63EC448%2DD9C1%2D4138%2DAC18%2D97BF0FE68EE3%7D&dist=TNMostRead

Canmorite
10-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Privatize gains, socialize losses. Sad shit.

in*10*se
10-21-2008, 11:16 PM
^^ oh wow.... perfectly summarized... in 4 words... sick...

broken_legs
10-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Whats funny is that Hank Paulson spear headed the campaign for Congress to allow more lax 'net capital' or leverage rules back in 2000 when he was CEO of GS.

Now Paulson is the guy in charge of the de-leveraging and bailout plan. It's literally like putting the fox in charge of the hen house.

JeremyD
10-22-2008, 08:01 AM
reading the comments was interesting as well. I like this quote

"Naturally, the common people don't want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship. ...voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."
--Hermann Goering at the Nuremberg War Trials

it seems somewhat accurate description of what is going on.

Eleanor
10-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Privatize gains, socialize losses. Sad shit.
:clap:

:banghead:

Canmorite
10-23-2008, 01:24 PM
Wall street is still 'losing' though. 35,000 jobs at Goldman cut today, bonuses out the window, TONS of other lay-offs, estate firesales, etc etc.

Many firms are still making bank though. Remember those trillions wiped out in a matter of days? It has to go somewhere :poosie:

Pollywog
10-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se
^^ oh wow.... perfectly summarized... in 4 words... sick...
Canmorite didn't make the term, its been the commonly used with regards to the bailout plan. :dunno: It's not a new brilliantly thought up saying.

Google "privatize gain, socialize loss" and you'll see what I mean.

Edit: I am not trying to discredit Canmorites opinion whatsoever.

Canmorite
10-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Yea I definitely didn't make that up myself.

01RedDX
10-23-2008, 03:16 PM

Supa Dexta
10-26-2008, 05:42 AM
Look whats going on with the bailout money

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/25/business/25nocera.html?_r=3&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

JP Morgan got their first 25 billion out of the deal and what do they plan to do? Buy more banks, not LEND, which is what the money was supposed to be used for! Paulson wanting his overarching power in the process decided he was not going to buy back the toxic securities and just give a 25 billion capital infusion to JP Morgan to do with as they please. I'm sure the taxpayers enjoy footing the bill for JP Morgan to buy up other banks and grow...

Canmorite
10-26-2008, 09:49 AM
You can't force them to lend unfortunately. Banks have strict guidelines for lending in risky markets (Oh, the irony) and I bet they are thinking that new loans will probably be defaulted on.

In the bailout package I don't think there was a clause saying you HAD to lend out the money.