PDA

View Full Version : How to ruin a perfectly good evening....

TorqueDog
10-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Allow me to preface my post with a graphical 'Cliffsnotes', if you will...

http://members.shaw.ca/j.parkes/sunridge.jpg

I went to Sunridge Mall this evening (God only knows why) and as I was leaving, I was behind a mall rent-a-cop. It was about 7:47 PM, so fairly dark out. I'm following at about 5-10 KM/H through the lot, almost two car lengths back of this guy, when he stops. So I stop. And wait. Then I see his reverse lights come on. So I honk.

He keeps coming back.
I honk about five more times.
Motherfucker is STILL COMING BACK.
I barely jam the car into reverse, and BAM, too late.

Me: "What the fuck was that??"
Rent-a-cop: "Oh jeez didn't even see you back there?"
Me: "I guess me honking six fucking times didn't clue you in huh?"
Rent-a-cop: "I thought I saw a guy peeing over there beside that Jeep."
Me: "SO YOU BACKED INTO ME?"
Rent-a-cop: "I was wondering what all the honking was about."
Me: "... How did you not see me?"
Rent-a-cop: "It was dark."
Me: "The big bright headlamps didn't do much eh."
Guy who was taking a leak: "I saw the whole thing, you honked like five or six times."
Me: "Can I get your info, I need you to be a witness. I can't fucking believe this."

So I get the Good Samaritan/Public Urinater's name and phone number as a witness, then get to exchanging information with the Rent-a-Cop, who has radioed for someone to bring a camera to get pictures of the damage. He hands me his registration, and insurance pink card.

Me: *copying down information* "... hmm, you understand that your insurance on this vehicle expired on July 16, 2008?"
Rent-a-cop: "Oh... well there's one in the glove box."
Me: "Uhh... this is a photocopy of the expired one. Your tags expired in May of 2008 as well."

Finally, the Rent-a-cops get their pictures, and I follow them to the security office to get the proper information since half their shit was invalid. I am informed that their head manager will be coming to speak with me shortly.

Ten minutes later, I am reinformed that they aren't sure if the manager is going to be down to see me or not. I am slightly less than impressed.

Another guard reviews the pictures and decides that they were taken by someone with very little ability to use a digital camera. So he follows me to my car to get better pictures of the damage.

Senior guard: "So we have all your information?"
Me: "Yup."
Senior guard: "Even phone number?"
Me: "Well yeah, the other guy has it... but you might want to take it down again in case he backs up into that and fucks it up too."

I proceed home, take some pictures of my own, and am now sitting here, reflecting that this is the second time in less than a year that some guy has randomly backed into my bloody car. Same spot too. Last year, it was the headlamp, fender, and hood that needed replacing to the tune of $4,700. This guy got the bumper cover in the mix as well.

I am not impressed at all. This sucks ass.

Text-based Cliffsnotes: Following rent-a-cop, rent-a-cop sees guy taking a leak, professional training dictates throwing vehicle into reverse and flooring it despite audible warnings from rearward vehicle is the best course of action, FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU-....

10-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Your depiction of said event made me lolz, but your pain makes me sad.

rp_guy
10-21-2008, 11:10 PM
public urinator .. friend or foe?

Kloubek
10-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Sorry to hear this man. But that's what you get for driving in the NE where rent-a-cops HAVE to back up to see someone pissing in the parking lot...

TomcoPDR
10-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Shit sorry to hear that man, you should had called the REAL po-po and get them in shit for expired plates/regristration.

Fuck, it's a BMW too, good luck finding a trust worthy place to fix that. (according to Beyond research, not from me)

rage2
10-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by rp_guy
public urinator .. friend or foe?
All public urinators are friends. It's pretty much the only reason I still hang out with buh_buh.

EM1FTW
10-21-2008, 11:20 PM
wow dude that sucks!

hopefully this works out as well as something this shitty can

thumbs down for the mall cop tough guys.

TorqueDog
10-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by rp_guy
public urinator .. friend or foe? Friend; he's my witness that Gomer Pyle jammed the Sunridge Security Escape Hybrid's ass-end into the front of my car.

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Shit sorry to hear that man, you should had called the REAL po-po and get them in shit for expired plates/regristration.

Fuck, it's a BMW too, good luck finding a trust worthy place to fix that. (according to Beyond research, not from me) Maranello's Auto Refinishing took care of me well last spring, so I'll be taking it back to them. They've already replaced the hood/fender/headlamp once, should be able to do it with their eyes closed this time.

I was contemplating calling the police, and I should have. But in any case, I have to go and file a police report. I took fastidiously detailed notes about the entire event, and drew a 'how it happened' diagram on my smartphone while everything was fresh in my mind.

muse017
10-21-2008, 11:25 PM
what's wrong with all these stupid drivers these days man...
I had an exact same accident just like yours about 2 month ago in lot 11 at UofC. Well the Lady claimed that She didn't see my vehicle, well you know...bullshittin...It was around 11:00am bright sunny day and I was driving SUV.
I had to replace entire bumper and foglights. Shitty deal..

buh_buh
10-21-2008, 11:52 PM
once again, the public urinator saves the day. Its like they're random superheroes or something.
That really sucks, but maybe you should take this opportunity to take that M badge off your front grille.

JAYMEZ
10-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Shity deal, I hate stupid ass drivers!

P.s I hope you didnt shake the bystanders hand after?

D'z Nutz
10-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
P.s I hope you didnt shake the bystanders hand after?

Haha, I was just about to say the same

nismodrifter
10-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Yet another classic NE story :nut:

Gabe182
10-22-2008, 12:12 AM
ya i saw almost the exact same situation yesterday by regal auctions some cab stoped behind this guy in an srt8 magnum.
the guy in the magnum threw on his reverse lights and just gave er. the cab was just honkin away but the guy slammed into him. cabbie was really chill about it.

sorry about the car man, she looks good (besides the hit lol)

schocker
10-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog

Me: "Well yeah, the other guy has it... but you might want to take it down again in case he backs up into that and fucks it up too."
:rofl:
Well played sir.
That sounds pretty dumb though, people and not being able to figure out what honking is about :facepalm:

rp_guy
10-22-2008, 02:45 AM
Friend; he's my witness that Gomer Pyle jammed the Sunridge Security Escape Hybrid's ass-end into the front of my car.

true, but i was going for the point that if he wasn't pissing, then the rent-a-cop wouldn't have gotten suspicious leading to random reversal of said car

Redlyne_mr2
10-22-2008, 02:49 AM
Just like oil and water, m5's and Sunridge malls dont mix.

urban.one
10-22-2008, 08:00 AM
did the rent-a-cops do anything about the urinator after all this?

ekguy
10-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by rage2

All public urinators are friends. It's pretty much the only reason I still hang out with buh_buh.

I don't know all the reasons behind this post but for some reason after waking up an hour late this morning this shit had me laughing for like 5 minutes haha.

acura_el
10-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by urban.one
did the rent-a-cops do anything about the urinator after all this?

I'm guessing the urinator told them he would have got uromysitisis poisoning.

Sucks to hear though. Hope it works out for you.

Destinova403
10-22-2008, 08:59 AM
wow shitty... any word on the cost of the damages?

Skyline_Addict
10-22-2008, 09:07 AM
I feel your pain man, on a slightly smaller degree.

I parked outside Joey Tomatoes last Friday night and someway, somehow, someone slammed their driver side door into my passenger side door what looks to be, as hard as humanly possible.

Too many IDIOTS out there :banghead:

GQBalla
10-22-2008, 09:12 AM
last time i was parked DT at wild ginger someone decided to hit their door as hard as they could into my gas tank,...

sigh its a big dent

Fuji
10-22-2008, 09:18 AM

Haha. Are you thinking about the time buh_buh got lectured as he was doing it by some old lady

TorqueDog
10-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Just like oil and water, m5's and Sunridge malls dont mix. I was just going to buy some of that Oatmeal + Whey Protein stuff at GNC, since Popeyes doesn't carry it. :facepalm: I hate Sunridge.

Destinova, I'm going to guess about $5,500 from Maranello's. Last October, the same damn thing happened (except the guy didn't hit the bumper) and it was about $4,700. Add in the bumper plus paint, and new grilles, and I'd say I'm pretty close.

And no, they didn't do anything about the public urinator. Good point rp_guy, but why would he have reversed instead of just getting out of the vehicle? And where were all those honks coming from? :banghead:

interlude
10-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Did you shake the witness's hands after? :barf:

sucks man.. i hope everything gets resolved.. stupid rent-a-cops..

Jlude
10-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Good thing the urinator came over and gave his info.

Stupid rent a cop.

Shitty deal though.

Destinova403
10-22-2008, 09:39 AM
I was just going to buy some of that Oatmeal + Whey Protein stuff at GNC, since Popeyes doesn't carry it. :facepalm: I hate Sunridge.

Destinova, I'm going to guess about $5,500 from Maranello's. Last October, the same damn thing happened (except the guy didn't hit the bumper) and it was about $4,700. Add in the bumper plus paint, and new grilles, and I'd say I'm pretty close.

And no, they didn't do anything about the public urinator. Good point rp_guy, but why would he have reversed instead of just getting out of the vehicle? And where were all those honks coming from? :banghead:

wow pricey... atleast you have a witness who will ensure that their insurance pays for it.

desperation for staff? welcome to Calgary

Stealth22
10-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Did you think at the time that it'd be over $1000? You could have called CPS, they would come..maybe not ASAP with lights and sirens, but over $1K, they'd respond :rofl:

prae
10-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by TorqueDog Me: "Well yeah, the other guy has it... but you might want to take it down again in case he backs up into that and fucks it up too."

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Kennyredline
10-22-2008, 09:51 AM
I loved it when the douche said"I was wondering what all that honking was about.....":facepalm:

Moe Man
10-22-2008, 10:04 AM
thats good animation of the accident :thumbsup:

TorqueDog
10-22-2008, 10:14 AM
lol, No hand-shaking took place.

Apparently honking means "speed up" when you're in reverse.

I could have been an inch away from his bumper and he still would have seen my headlamps. His rear passenger side was aligned with my front driver's side, so my headlamps were obviously visible from his side view mirrors, and I know that I was far away enough for him to see them in the rear view. Of course, that distance really shrinks when he steps on his accelerator to catch the big bad guy taking a leak.

Me                 Douche
                            _______
___________         |           |
|               |         |_______|
|_________|

Originally posted by Stealth22
Did you think at the time that it'd be over $1000? You could have called CPS, they would come..maybe not ASAP with lights and sirens, but over $1K, they'd respond :rofl: I knew it would, but didn't even think of it at the time.

Graham_A_M
10-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by 410440
Your depiction of said event made me lolz, but your pain makes me sad.

Word, I love the sarcasm. :rofl: :clap:

Too bad though, sorry to see it.

Rev15
10-22-2008, 06:18 PM
That sucks dude. I've yet to have someone damage my car, but the day it happens is going to be..interesting...

Casa
10-22-2008, 06:20 PM
ah shit man that sucks
i hope it gets fixed properly and soon!

v2kai
10-22-2008, 06:28 PM
witness therefore....you get a free face lift for you whip? not bad, except for the inconvenience and whatnot. good story telling, pictures helped alot:thumbsup:

djayz
10-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Sucks to hear....excellent picture depiction though those are mad skillz

TorqueDog
10-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by v2kai
witness therefore....you get a free face lift for you whip? not bad, except for the inconvenience and whatnot. good story telling, pictures helped alot:thumbsup: Yeah fantastic had this not already happened last October in the exact same spot on the car. The least they could have done was hit the passenger side, as that headlamp is the original one and has some stone pitting that I can't buff out.

I talked to a manager from the security company, who said her managers wanted three quotes. I told her straight up that I'm providing them with ONE quote from the body shop of MY choice, and they can choose to either go through their insurance policy, or pay for the bill in cash, and if her higher ups had a problem, they could give me a call, and I'd repeat myself.

Her manager called and I told him the same thing. He conceded and gave me a fax number to send the quote from Maranello's to. They inconvenienced me, so I'm calling the shots. My car, my rules.

So we're progressing much faster that I expected. :)

Redlyne_mr2
10-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Yeah fantastic had this not already happened last October in the exact same spot on the car. The least they could have done was hit the passenger side, as that headlamp is the original one and has some stone pitting that I can't buff out.

I talked to a manager from the security company, who said her managers wanted three quotes. I told her straight up that I'm providing them with ONE quote from the body shop of MY choice, and they can choose to either go through their insurance policy, or pay for the bill in cash, and if her higher ups had a problem, they could give me a call, and I'd repeat myself.

Her manager called and I told him the same thing. He conceded and gave me a fax number to send the quote from Maranello's to. They inconvenienced me, so I'm calling the shots. My car, my rules.

Good to hear that you're not letting them jerk you around, I hate the 3 quote request. it's as if they think you have nothing better to do then drive around town like an idiot going to bodyshops.

bignerd
10-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah fantastic had this not already happened last October in the exact same spot on the car. The least they could have done was hit the passenger side, as that headlamp is the original one and has some stone pitting that I can't buff out.

Don't bother with giving them the option to pay cash, it is just a pain in the ass. Just go all through insurance. Then that way if there is a supplemental claim or more damage your not chasing them down for the money. It is one thing to say yes you will pay out of pocket and another thing when it comes to collecting the cash for payment.

Stealth22
10-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by bignerd

Don't bother with giving them the option to pay cash, it is just a pain in the ass. Just go all through insurance. Then that way if there is a supplemental claim or more damage your not chasing them down for the money. It is one thing to say yes you will pay out of pocket and another thing when it comes to collecting the cash for payment.

:werd:

File a report with CPS and your insurance company. He hit you, so your premiums ain't going up.

TorqueDog
10-22-2008, 09:31 PM
The security company has already agreed to pay for any and all damages. I'm still filing a police report (required for damages over a grand, as I recall).

bignerd
10-22-2008, 09:45 PM
The security company has already agreed to pay for any and all damages. I'm still filing a police report (required for damages over a grand, as I recall).

Yes, bodyshops are not supposed to start repairs without a damage sticker if the work is over $1000. You can only get the sticker if you file a police report.

bbrannan
10-23-2008, 09:32 AM
you should get Maranello's to fabricate you a bush bump with half foot carbide spikes on the front.. it might look ugly.....i mean realllyyy ugly, but it will take care of calgarys worst drivers.

TorqueDog
10-23-2008, 11:08 AM
I was thinking of getting a push bar from a Crown Vic P71 Interceptor. :rofl:

Masked Bandit
10-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Shitty deal for sure but man, did your little picture show at the start make me laugh. Thank you for that.

EK 2.0
10-23-2008, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Fuji

Haha. Are you thinking about the time buh_buh got lectured as he was doing it by some old lady

It's not just Malls..he does it everywhere....

I have evidence of the side of the road urination in Banff...

403Gemini
10-23-2008, 02:35 PM
I dunno why but i literally LOL'd when ir ead the public urinator came over to be the witness. I can just picture it, him running over finishing zipping up "I SAW THE WHOLE THING!" haha

jjmac
10-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Me: "What the fuck was that??"
Rent-a-cop: "Oh jeez didn't even see you back there?"
Me: "I guess me honking six fucking times didn't clue you in huh?"
Rent-a-cop: "I thought I saw a guy peeing over there beside that Jeep."
Me: "SO YOU BACKED INTO ME?"
Rent-a-cop: "I was wondering what all the honking was about."
Me: "... How did you not see me?"
Rent-a-cop: "It was dark."
Me: "The big bright headlamps didn't do much eh."
Guy who was taking a leak: "I saw the whole thing, you honked like five or six times."
Me: "Can I get your info, I need you to be a witness. I can't fucking believe this."

I played this convo in my head so many times and it get's more hilarious each time LOL

Stupid security guards. They should stick to riding bicycles or just plain walking around.

Stealth22
10-24-2008, 12:31 PM
I was thinking of getting a push bar from a Crown Vic P71 Interceptor. :rofl:

It'll look ugly on a BMW, but next time someone backs into you, your car will be safe! :burnout:

EDIT: Well...it might look ok...depends on the kind.. :rofl: