PDA

View Full Version : new Guns N' Roses single released today *LINK*

nonlinear
10-22-2008, 01:02 PM
stream from http://web.gunsnroses.com/splash.jsp

what do you guys think? does this seem worth the 15 year wait?

Inzane
10-22-2008, 01:03 PM
No.

GnR is dead.

rage2
10-22-2008, 01:22 PM
It's better than that shitty Shackler's Revenge track. No comparison to old GnR tho. Hopefully they'll all go broke one day and reunite.

googe
10-22-2008, 01:26 PM
link to music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

nonlinear
10-22-2008, 01:30 PM
LOL yea shackler's revenge sucks big time

Mckenzie
10-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Slash was quite direct in his auto-biography about why GnR broke up and why it will never get back together (unless Axl makes some serious personality changes). It was pretty obvious he wanted to lay the issue to rest.

1- Slash took serious issue with the disrespect for fans from Axl by not showing up on time for shows

2- Slash also took issue with the excessive musical creation and business dominance of GnR by Axl.

PS- everyone needs to read the Slash book...I read it in the spring and its a pretty unreal tale.

nonlinear
10-22-2008, 04:02 PM
OK let's get over the slash thing... he hasn't been in the band for like 12 years....

what do you guys think of the music? Does it meet your expectations?

Mibz
10-22-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by googe
link to music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0 Wow..... Just wow...

95teetee
10-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
OK let's get over the slash thing... he hasn't been in the band for like 12 years....

what do you guys think of the music? Does it meet your expectations? I've had that song in demo form since October of '06 (the "whenever it's done'' bootleg 'release') and it sounds pretty damn good like this to me.
Axl will always be a god- the rest of the world would just be better off if he didn't know it:D

I'm just shocked to see an actual release date-thanks for posting

rmk
10-22-2008, 06:42 PM
It is not horrible.

I hate Axl Rose.

95teetee
10-22-2008, 06:45 PM
a quick usenet search shows me that: more than just the single was released today:D

Mr. Burns
10-22-2008, 06:47 PM
That was terrible. Fortunately for Axl the whole "classic" band revival trend is in full swing, so he will still make millions no matter how much his album sucks.

core_upt
10-23-2008, 09:01 AM
I've had Chinese Democracy for a few years via torrents and never thought much of it. But this single, I actually kind of like! It sounds like stuff off use Your Illusions, which, granted, isn't their greatest album, but its still good.

Inzane
10-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by rmk
I hate Axl Rose.

I just hated his bright red spandex shorts he wore throughout the Use Your Illusion I&II concert DVDs. WTF?? :dunno:

:barf: :thumbsdow

yt3030
10-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Personally i'm pretty stoked for this album...It's been a long time coming!

nonlinear
10-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by core_upt
I've had Chinese Democracy for a few years via torrents and never thought much of it. But this single, I actually kind of like! It sounds like stuff off use Your Illusions, which, granted, isn't their greatest album, but its still good.

yea, i agree. it's more of a 'piano album' than a 'guitar album.' with a bit of electronica/industrial influence in a couple of places.

that said, songs like the blues and madagascar are very november rain-esque. If The WOrld is a cheesy ass pop song.

i'm excited to hear the final versions of there was a time and catcher in the rye... those songs rock

95teetee
10-23-2008, 12:10 PM

yea, i agree. it's more of a 'piano album' than a 'guitar album.' with a bit of electronica/industrial influence in a couple of places.

that said, songs like the blues and madagascar are very november rain-esque. If The WOrld is a cheesy ass pop song.

i'm excited to hear the final versions of there was a time and catcher in the rye... those songs rock true dat^

even if new GNR means one less playing of one 'modern' song on one radio/satellite station, the wait is worth it:D

kerry
10-25-2008, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Inzane
No.

GnR is dead.

Better than Steve Vai's douchebaggery. I actually don't mind it. The track def doesn't have Slash's "soul" to it but it's WAY better than Shacklers.

yt3030
10-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by kerry

Better than Steve Vai's douchebaggery. I actually don't mind it. The track def doesn't have Slash's "soul" to it but it's WAY better than Shacklers.

Agreed. I'm still picking the album up just because it is G N' R (Kinda)

rage2
10-29-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm not picking up the new album. I need Axl to go broke so old GnR can re-unite. Part 1 already done, Velvet revolver is in limbo :rofl:.

95teetee
10-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I'm not picking up the new album. I need Axl to go broke so old GnR can re-unite. Part 1 already done, Velvet revolver is in limbo :rofl:. a reunion would absolutely freakin' rock:D

nonlinear
10-31-2008, 10:20 AM
i agree that slash adds a lot of character to the band, however i saw the band in the early 90s on the faith no more/metallica/gnr tour, and also in 2006, and I can honestly say that the band plays and sounds much better now. this is also super apparent in live recordings. slash and duff were just so fucked up and drunk all the time that it totally compromised their playing. robin finck, tommy stinson, ron thal, etc. are complete pros, and while they don't always play slash's solos note for note, they are a much tighter band and the performances are much better.

however, slash has been totally sober for a couple of years now, so it would be interesting to see the original band perform sober. i'm sure it would fucking rock.

unfortunately can't say the same for steven adler. have any of you seen him on the new season of celebrity rehab. man, he is completely fucked. he can hardly talk.

shin0bi
11-21-2008, 10:43 AM
*Necropost!!!*

Just heard the single for Chinese Democracy.

Ghey. I mean, its not a bad song, but it just doesn't sound like G n' R should sound.

Axl doesn't do his signature falsetto vocals. It just sounds like generic hard rock.

However, if you haven't listened to the track " Better ", I'd suggest you do because its... well, BETTER.

Look it up on seeqpod.com

rage2
11-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by shin0bi
*Necropost!!!*

Just heard the single for Chinese Democracy.

Ghey. I mean, its not a bad song, but it just doesn't sound like G n' R should sound.

Axl doesn't do his signature falsetto vocals. It just sounds like generic hard rock.
Listen to the background, you can hear his falsetto voice layered over his low voice. Kinda like Knockin' on Heaven's Door.

Grogador
11-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Listened to the whole album, it's different and I really like it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

badatusrnames
11-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by googe
link to music video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

It's not that bad...

Kloubek
11-21-2008, 03:47 PM
With Metallica's "Death Magnetic", I was impressed that they were somehow able to get closer to the sound that originally made them famous. In the end, it's an alright album but still is something that history didn't really need.

With this new GnR, it sounds nothing like the old GnR. Axl is trying to reinvent GnR (since everyone has left), and he has failed. It's not that the music is absolutely abysmal, but it just doesn't live up to the hype.

95teetee
11-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by shin0bi

However, if you haven't listened to the track " Better ", I'd suggest you do because its... well, BETTER.
I also think 'This I Love' is incredible (although, I guess it was written back in about 1993, so it's kind of an 'old GNR' song)

nonlinear
11-22-2008, 01:05 PM
i downloaded the entire album on tuesday. i've been listening to the various leaks for years now, but hearing the final album in mastered form, i have to say that it's a pretty damn good hard rock record, especially for 2008.

people will say it doesn't sound like GNR, but whatever. people said the same thing when use your illusions were first released. bob dylan once said that an artist must be in a constant state of change to stay relevant, so what you perceive as "not guns n' roses" is fact the art of GNR... if that makes any sense (just woke up heh)

anyhow, i'm gonna pick this up on vinyl tomorrow. might head to HMV this afternoon though and see if they can sell it early

95teetee
11-22-2008, 01:55 PM
i downloaded the entire album on tuesday. i've been listening to the various leaks for years now, but hearing the final album in mastered form, i have to say that it's a pretty damn good hard rock record, especially for 2008.

people will say it doesn't sound like GNR, but whatever. people said the same thing when use your illusions were first released. bob dylan once said that an artist must be in a constant state of change to stay relevant, so what you perceive as "not guns n' roses" is fact the art of GNR... if that makes any sense (just woke up heh)

anyhow, i'm gonna pick this up on vinyl tomorrow. might head to HMV this afternoon though and see if they can sell it early I was gonna PM you to see if you had it the other day, but I figured you would:)

mark4091
11-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Listened to it on the myspace leak, and it's pretty strange.

pyroza
11-23-2008, 12:06 PM
meh, free Dr. Pepper though :)

(US only, sorry!)

SJW
11-24-2008, 10:57 AM
I think this album is fantastic.

Mr. Burns
11-24-2008, 11:03 AM
I listened to it from front to back yesterday... very disappointing. I can't even say for sure that I would have liked it had it been released 12 years ago when it would have still been relevant.

mark4091
11-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Burns
I listened to it from front to back yesterday... very disappointing. I can't even say for sure that I would have liked it had it been released 12 years ago when it would have still been relevant.

:werd: Very industrial, overproduced. When I hear Guns N' Roses I want to hear hard rock, Chinese Democracy actually made me laugh.

rage2
11-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Horrible :thumbsdow

SJW
11-24-2008, 12:51 PM
it needs to be remastered. Axl put to much emphasis on high notes and less on low.

He shouldn't have produced this one.

nonlinear
11-24-2008, 01:00 PM
industrial... you guys are kidding, right? shackler's might be the clostst to that on this album, but it definately isn't industrial by any stretch of the imagination

:nut:

95teetee
11-24-2008, 07:03 PM
industrial... you guys are kidding, right? shackler's might be the clostst to that on this album, but it definately isn't industrial by any stretch of the imagination

:nut: well there's about 3 seconds at the start of 'Better' that I'd call industrial lol

4bier
11-24-2008, 08:41 PM
i think it sounds like there album the speghetti incident......that album sucked big time:thumbsdow but i only heard the one song so we ll see