PDA

View Full Version : frame rot repairable?

cjay^
10-22-2008, 06:18 PM
So I have found a car that I am interested in buying for a winter beater/spring project car, and everything about it is good, no rust on the body, engine will last the winter until I swap it and most importantly the price is well within my budget.

however, the drivers side frame rail is rusty as shit as shown here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/xtremist107/2holeindriverframe.jpg

The owner described it as being a 2" hole on the drivers frame rail, with rust also on the inner drivers side fender, which I am not too worried about as a fender is easily replaced, a hole in the frame, not so much. Another problem, the car is in edmonton, so its not like I can take the car for an estimate before buying.

anyone have an idea how much something like this costs to have patched up properly? I am assuming 2" hole means a 2" in diameter hole, but the rust likely spans 4 or more inches.

Thanks.

Tik-Tok
10-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Now I'm not an authority on this, but when my wife bought a car when we first met, it had a 2" rust hole in the frame, and her mechanic (friend of family) said there's no legal way to repair that.

I don't know the laws regarding that, but this isn't the kind of guy that f@#$'s around, he's pretty honest.

DomesticBoy
10-22-2008, 10:45 PM
id say its ready for the trash
frame rust is like cancer
it can show in one place, but seeing how bad it is from the photo, id imagine that it is not the only area which is rotting.

Cooked Rice
10-22-2008, 11:15 PM
It will be pretty expensive to get someone to repair it for you. If you don't own a welder and can do it yourself I wouldn't bother. My S13 had frame rot on the rail (where they rot on all S13s) and the previous owner had it repaired. On a S13 I wouldn't say it's a huge deal as it's a unibody. Also on JDM S13s they actually don't come with the rear-ward portion of the frame rail you find on USDM models.

VetteRacin
10-23-2008, 06:46 AM
Stay clear away from that car, if the frame is rusted like that who knows what else is

ianmcc
10-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Surface rust OK.
Perforation rust-bad. Run away.

Casa
10-23-2008, 08:12 AM
my post got deleted? i said "run away"