PDA

View Full Version : Insurance question

93mr2gt
10-23-2008, 06:21 PM
I had a at fault accident 2 years ago, i just received a letter from the other party's lawyer today stating they will be suing me for injury etc. It also states i have 15 days to respond or file a defendant's statement. What do i have to do? or does my former insurance company deal with the rest? (i am no longer with that insurance company)

93mr2gt
10-23-2008, 07:18 PM
help?

G-ZUS
10-23-2008, 07:21 PM
chill out, give it some time

Xtrema
10-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Did you switch because of the accident?

Does your current insurer know about your old accident?

If not, you're most likely fucked. Lawyer up.

speeed
10-23-2008, 07:42 PM
This happened to my mom too, she lightly rear ended someone, no damage at all. They exchanged informations and she never heard from her or the other party's insurance.

Almost 2 year later, she recieved a lawyers letter from the other party stating the same thing. (sue for injuries.. blah blah) So she contacted her insurance and they told her the other party has a time period of two years to report the accident and if any long-term injuries, so this is completely legal. (because she thought it is bullshit, considering it was the lightest accident and 2 years down the road, she said she couldn't work and her back is all fucked and stuff...)

The insurance told her that she doesnt have to worry, the insurance lawyer is going to take care of it all. It's been over a year now and we still haven't heard back from our insurance regarding this case.

93mr2gt
10-23-2008, 10:17 PM
my insurance company knows about that accident...i changed because they offered me a lower premium....

do i have to do anything about the letter? look for a lawyer? or just let my old insurance company take care of it?

rp_guy
10-23-2008, 10:20 PM
they have 2 years from the accident to file.. so they're putting you on the spot right now!

znx
10-23-2008, 10:22 PM
I'd ask your old insurance company first (but be careful of the questions you will ask to them) before you go to a lawyer. If your new insurance company knows about the accident, could ask them too. GL.

93mr2gt
10-23-2008, 10:54 PM
do i even need a lawyer? because insurance company should cover all damages not exceeding 1mil for the other party right?

speeed
10-23-2008, 10:59 PM
you're right, i dont think you need a lawyer, go through the insurance first (old and new) and see what they have to say.

Xtrema
10-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by 93mr2gt
do i even need a lawyer? because insurance company should cover all damages not exceeding 1mil for the other party right?

Talk to your insurance and they should take care of it.

It's gonna be messy. And your rate will go up.

yue
10-23-2008, 11:07 PM
did you just get the letter and then go on the forums?

don't be dumb and just respond within 15 days

Manhattan
10-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Some people have no fucking shame... :facepalm:

Since they did not file a claim for the accident 2 years ago, did you premiums not increase because of it?

93mr2gt
10-24-2008, 05:56 AM
it increased already....cuz my new insurance company told me my old insurance company paid 7000 for the accident...i thought everything was settled...then i got the letter yesterday......

onehawtrex
10-24-2008, 06:09 AM
i bet they send the letter to scare you...and hope you wont respond..

get your insurance to resond, get your insurance to get hte girl sent to a differant doctor for a cheak of her issue...cuz you never know maybe she milking it cuz she is a welfare person seeking more cash?

403Gemini
10-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Basically from the date of loss they have exactally 2 years to seek subrogation from you.

Best advice is to contact the insurance company you had at the time. Your newer one won't be able to help you since you weren't with them at the time of the loss.

As long as the damages / injuries are less than $1 mil you wont have to worry about paying for it out of your pocket. (DON'T worry about it, unless you killed somebody you won't have to worry since you have the 1 mil liability coverage).

As for the rates going up none of us can tell you if it will or won't. You will need to speak to your broker.

I am assuming the $7000 your company paid out was for your damages? Well that claim was coded as an "At Fault Collision" so basically the worst SHOULD be over and your premium increase has already happened.

It doesnt matter if $100 was paid out or $10,000 was paid out (to my understanding) - it was an at fault accident. Again this isn't a 100% answer, you will need to speak to your broker regarding this.

Don't fret, just give them your old insurance information, call your old insurance company and advise them they are going to have to re-open the claim you had back then.

The other party - a moron. its much easier to go through his insurance company, however he only had a year to do that. Now hes grasping at straws. But hey, some people are like that. Best of luck man, but you shouldn't have to worry too much at all (other than a possible premium increase). I know letters from lawyers can be a bit daunting but just relax, and go have a few beers at lunch ;)

93mr2gt
10-24-2008, 04:27 PM
i dont think i will have a insurance increase, because my new insurance company is aware of that accident before the new policy started....the 7000 paid out to the other party was discovered when my new insurance company told me...i didnt have full coverage back then, so the 7000 was to the other party...