PDA

View Full Version : New vehicle purchased out of Province to Alberta?

redevil
10-23-2008, 09:28 PM
So I am looking at buying a NEW car from Vancouver, BC. I have a few questions before doing so.

-Do I get an in-transit plate from BC or Alberta?
-Do I need to get an out of province inspection to register it in Alberta? I know that used car, but how about new?
-What is the approx. cost for an out of province?

I need to see if it is worth buying from BC.

Thanks

:thumbsup:

Supa Dexta
10-23-2008, 09:32 PM
If you have a legal plate now, you can park your car, and use it usually (not parked on the street).

yes (edit actually I'm not sure on this now that I think of it, I needed it, because mine had been registered out of province before)

dannie
10-23-2008, 10:30 PM
1. You would let your insurance company know that you bought a new vehicle, they will send you a temp pink card and you get the dealership to go to ICBC and get an intransit permit. Its always better to get an intransit permit from BC instead of AB because they are a longer term.

2. Transportation changed the guidelines for oop vehicles. So I have questions for you and I can tell you what you need.

a) Is it brand spanking new? If it is, do you or will you have an original NVIS?

B) If it is slightly used, how many kilometers are on it.

Let me know. The two things change what you need to do.

adam c
10-23-2008, 10:33 PM
remember Vancouver cars don't have block heaters, so thats another cost later on

bobby_lu
10-23-2008, 10:35 PM
90 incl. GST at City Best Auto

redevil
10-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by dannie
1. You would let your insurance company know that you bought a new vehicle, they will send you a temp pink card and you get the dealership to go to ICBC and get an intransit permit. Its always better to get an intransit permit from BC instead of AB because they are a longer term.

2. Transportation changed the guidelines for oop vehicles. So I have questions for you and I can tell you what you need.

a) Is it brand spanking new? If it is, do you or will you have an original NVIS?

B) If it is slightly used, how many kilometers are on it.

Let me know. The two things change what you need to do.

It is brand new, with original NVIS

dannie
10-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Ok, so when you get back to Alberta, you have to head to the registry fairly soon (under 5000km). You will need your Bill of Sale which MUST say NEW vehicle. Not used, not demo. You need the original NVIS, your insurance and you will need to have the car there. Make sure the vehicle is in only your name and not in yours and a wife or gf or whatever. If more than one name is on there, bring that person in with you.

The registry will look at all your paperwork and go out to the car to do a physical vin verification and kilometer verification. They then go back into the registry and you get to skip the inspection and the application for exemption process and get a plate and registration. Super simple.

redevil
10-24-2008, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by dannie
Ok, so when you get back to Alberta, you have to head to the registry fairly soon (under 5000km). You will need your Bill of Sale which MUST say NEW vehicle. Not used, not demo. You need the original NVIS, your insurance and you will need to have the car there. Make sure the vehicle is in only your name and not in yours and a wife or gf or whatever. If more than one name is on there, bring that person in with you.

The registry will look at all your paperwork and go out to the car to do a physical vin verification and kilometer verification. They then go back into the registry and you get to skip the inspection and the application for exemption process and get a plate and registration. Super simple.

I was hoping that was going to be the case, why would I have to do an inspection on a new Canadian vehicle?

dannie
10-24-2008, 10:39 AM
You would if it had over the 5000kms because transportation considers it used at that many kms. If it was used as a Demo, you would have to undergo the inspection or if the dealer checks off used vehicle and its brand new, you would have to go.

You would also have to go for an inspection if the dealership had registered it for a client and the client backed out of the deal. Its considered used then too.

There are a few little tiny gov loopholes like that