PDA

View Full Version : What restaurant would you like to have in Calgary?

snoop101
10-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Coming from BC there is a ton of restaurant's out there of all different types. One thing I noticed is that in Calgary there is a lot of one type of food. Example would be Vietnamese.

So what type of food would you like to see here in Calgary or more of a type of food that we already have?

For me I would love to see a fun German restaurant where you can eat traditional food while drinkin a stein of dark German beer.

KappaSigma
10-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by snoop101
Coming from BC there is a ton of restaurant's out there of all different types. One thing I noticed is that in Calgary there is a lot of one type of food. Example would be Vietnamese.

So what type of food would you like to see here in Calgary or more of a type of food that we already have?

For me I would love to see a fun German restaurant where you can eat traditional food while drinkin a stein of dark German beer.

WHy not go to the German hall (legion) or whatever the place is on barlow by Hooters.

snoop101
10-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Dont you have to be a member? I know in the Okanagan you had to be a member or go with one.

nonlinear
10-24-2008, 11:15 AM
mexican for sure. there's only one semi-authentic taqueria in town (mi tierra) and a couple of passable restaurants like salt & pepper (bowness location). other than that, calgary sucks for mexican.

would also like to see a better pizza scene. I mean we have a lot of take out, but 99% of those are run by arabs who didn't grow up eating pizza and use fake ass cheese food, frozen dough, canned sauce, and the cheapest meats and toppings you can find anywhere. There are a couple of good italian pizza joints, a couple of OK thin crust joints, but other than that the pizza scene sucks.

nonlinear
10-24-2008, 11:16 AM

there is a good bavarian house in bragg creek.

snoop101
10-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear

there is a good bavarian house in bragg creek.

Ya i heard about that. Has anyone been there before? I live in somerset so not to bad to take the 22x down.

sputnik
10-24-2008, 11:21 AM
You don't need to be a member at the German Club in the NE to eat there. They have a fantastic lunch buffet too.

Waldhaus in Banff (at the Banff Springs hotel in the old golf clubhouse) is also a great German restaurant.

badatusrnames
10-24-2008, 11:28 AM
would also like to see a better pizza scene. I mean we have a lot of take out, but 99% of those are run by arabs who didn't grow up eating pizza and use fake ass cheese food, frozen dough, canned sauce, and the cheapest meats and toppings you can find anywhere. There are a couple of good italian pizza joints, a couple of OK thin crust joints, but other than that the pizza scene sucks.

Have you tried Pulcinella? Although one great restaurant an entire scene does not make.

GQBalla
10-24-2008, 11:29 AM
whats wrong with vietnamese restaurants?

imjimmylin
10-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Morton's

snoop101
10-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Im not saying theres anything wrong with viet food, just there on every corner.

malcolmk14
10-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Pulcinella is great.

Bavarian Inn in Bragg Creek is very good. Not sure what the cost is like though, I was there for a work function and was very impressed.

I would also like to see more Mexican food in Calgary. Mi Tierra is good, but not quite enough to satisfy my mexican cravings.

GQBalla
10-24-2008, 11:58 AM
your just in ghetto 17th thats why -

walk along stephen ave for some quick food, pretty good too or 17th ave dt

snoop101
10-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by malcolmk14
Pulcinella is great.

Bavarian Inn in Bragg Creek is very good. Not sure what the cost is like though, I was there for a work function and was very impressed.

I would also like to see more Mexican food in Calgary. Mi Tierra is good, but not quite enough to satisfy my mexican cravings.

Was Bavarian inn a higher end German restaurant or more like fun eat Bratwurst and drink beer while some dude yodels?

dannie
10-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Bavarian Inn is mid-high range

http://www.thebavarianinn.com/

And the food is always superb. The sommelier on staff is very knowledgable.

I'd like to see an israeli restaurant here. Their food is so simple yet so so so good.

adam c
10-24-2008, 01:23 PM
i want an IHOP here :whipped:

nonlinear
10-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Have you tried Pulcinella? Although one great restaurant and entire scene does not make.

Yea, they make a good italian pizza there. other notable italian pizzas are il centro and sandro's.

nonlinear
10-24-2008, 01:27 PM

Was Bavarian inn a higher end German restaurant or more like fun eat Bratwurst and drink beer while some dude yodels?

it's more of a higher end place, but definately not expensive. entrees are like $25 or $30

sputnik
10-24-2008, 01:32 PM
There is also Dooselbeck Gasthaus in the NW that is a decent German restaurant.

bubbley
10-24-2008, 01:37 PM
A variety of different types of places that are open LATE...not just china town gangster hang outs and pizza places...for example in van after a long night out we hit up this place called characters at like 3 am and chow down on some butter chicken...amazing

:love:

modded46
10-24-2008, 01:39 PM
you need some SONIC!!!! there.. you will never eat at another fast food place again.. Shakes are to die for!

I've heard Krystal is pretty good too but I haven't been there yet :)

Willie Bobo
10-24-2008, 01:47 PM
This city needs some Korean BBQ and Texas/Kansas/deep south/etc style BBQ restaurants.

malcolmk14
10-24-2008, 01:53 PM
there's a couple good Korean BBQ places. Bow Bulgogi House on 17th is delicious.

Agreed that we need more BBQ also.

nonlinear
10-24-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by modded46
I've heard Krystal is pretty good too but I haven't been there yet :)

WHITE CASTLE!!!!! (krystal is a white castle clone)

sk8r3124
10-24-2008, 03:06 PM
I am interested in trying Baja Fresh.

Godfuader
10-24-2008, 03:13 PM
What we need is a Panera Bread (http://www.panerabread.com/) type cafe. Very diverse menu of Salads, Soups and Sandwiches for under $10. As common in the states as Tim Hortons is here...but with really good healthy food.

Originally posted by Willie Bobo
This city needs some Korean BBQ and Texas/Kansas/deep south/etc style BBQ restaurants.
Went to Seoul Korean BBQ last night on McLeod. Pretty good food.

QuasarCav
10-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Godfuader
What we need is a Panera Bread (http://www.panerabread.com/) type cafe. Very diverse menu of Salads, Soups and Sandwiches for under $10. As common in the states as Tim Hortons is here...but with really good healthy food.

Went to Seoul Korean BBQ last night on McLeod. Pretty good food.

I went to Panera a few times when I was in Atlanta. The portion size was impressive and lots of options.

nat_skyline
10-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Something we had In new brunswick was Jungle Jims.. they have one in edmonton but its not the same...
it's an awesome place...

And I do have to say I miss the Acadian meals... :(

ianmcc
10-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Popeye's Chicken. They would put KFC out of business. All the Canadian restaurants are in Ontario.

bulaian
10-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by ianmcc
Popeye's Chicken. They would put KFC out of business. All the Canadian restaurants are in Ontario.

:drool: I love popeye's.. their chicken is actually crispy unlike kfc and those butter biscuits mmmm

89coupe
10-24-2008, 03:58 PM
I'd love to see a Joes Crab House here.

nonlinear
10-24-2008, 04:07 PM
i agree with the panera and popeye's suggestions.

also, i would like to see some FISH TACO joints. i heard there is a taco del mar somewhere in the south, but haven't tried it yet. but, i was reading some negative things about it on chowhound.

it would be nice to have some franchise like Rubio's (the one in the basement of the mall in downtown san francisso) that has dope fish tacos and that monstorous condiment bar with like 4589734589735 differents kinds of salsa, and all kinds of hot peppers and shit. http://www.rubios.com/

EK 2.0
10-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by adam c

I loves me some IHOP...

Originally posted by ianmcc

Amen, and the meat is Halal..w00t w00t

But I would like to see Flip Food out here...Jollibee's or a Goldilocks FO SHO...tanginah...

Danish
10-24-2008, 04:16 PM
It'd be great to get some of the West Indian restaurants like they have in Toronto, Calypso Hut is one of my faves.

dannie
10-24-2008, 04:16 PM
i agree with the panera and popeye's suggestions.

also, i would like to see some FISH TACO joints. i heard there is a taco del mar somewhere in the south, but haven't tried it yet. but, i was reading some negative things about it on chowhound.

it would be nice to have some franchise like Rubio's (the one in the basement of the mall in downtown san francisso) that has dope fish tacos and that monstorous condiment bar with like 4589734589735 differents kinds of salsa, and all kinds of hot peppers and shit. http://www.rubios.com/

Taco Del Mar is on 130th near the McDonalds. Its a fast food joint and the guys on chowhound seem to thoroughly hate things like that.

nonlinear
10-24-2008, 04:17 PM
^^Ick, i've only been to IHOP once, in seattle just a couple of months ago.

i thought it was disgusting. talk about factory-made food. their menu sucked ass so i ended up getting the eggs benny - big mistake. i've never had worse hollindaise in my entire life. it was BRIGHT dayglo yellow and tasted like the tin can it came out of. blech. for breakfasxt i'd rather eat a microwaved chicken burger from some gas station LOLOLoLL

nonlinear
10-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by dannie

Taco Del Mar is on 130th near the McDonalds. Its a fast food joint and the guys on chowhound seem to thoroughly hate things like that.

^^yea, they totally hate fast food joints. I don't care for them much either, but the fish tacos at Rubios are fast food and they are damn good. so i'll have to give taco del mar a try.

have you been there dannie? what did you think?

dannie
10-24-2008, 04:47 PM
To Taco Del Mar? Yeah its good. Its fast food. The ground beef tastes the same as if you make that old el paso mix at home, so thats a plus for me :) The guy that owns the place is super nice though. I would take Taco Del Mar over taco bell or taco time anyday

The fish tacos at La Salsa in the US are really good.

nonlinear
10-24-2008, 04:56 PM
^^cool, but they do have fish tacos there too, right? maybe i'll try it out for lunch this weekend

by the way, i have a BOMB fish taco recipe if anyone is interested LOL

dannie
10-24-2008, 05:00 PM
To be honest, I cant remember if they have fish tacos there or not. I know for sure they do in the US. I always get the ground beef tacos.

If you have a good recipe, PM it wouldja??

Quickstrike
10-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Baja Fresh would be nice.

Even something like Cafe Rio (http://www.caferio.com/flash/index.html) is much better than what we have here in Calgary.

snoop101
10-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by dannie
Bavarian Inn is mid-high range

http://www.thebavarianinn.com/

And the food is always superb. The sommelier on staff is very knowledgable.

I'd like to see an israeli restaurant here. Their food is so simple yet so so so good.

Holy crap. Im sure its amazing food, but damn those are high prices.

I wish we had more of a gasthaus style.

In Kelowna theres a German bakery that opens at lunch and has awesome food at a cheap price. Sometimes you have to wait in line that goes outside.

403Gemini
10-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by KappaSigma

WHy not go to the German hall (legion) or whatever the place is on barlow by Hooters.

The Austrian club?

How do you become a member to these clubs? Do I just say my last name and they're like "Dat is sie most deutsch name I've evar hurd. Velcome brother!"

snoop101
10-24-2008, 05:38 PM
I know in the Okanagan you had to go with a member. Also the porto club was the same. We used to go there all the time to hang out, but I used to hang out with a lot of Portuguese.

RY213
10-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Id like to see In-N-Out and Whataburger here, and like others have said, Popeyes would be awesome!

rmk
10-24-2008, 06:54 PM
I want one of these fuckers

http://ebestagent.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/135153272_cbaca52f11_o.jpg

kissmyKICKS
10-24-2008, 07:00 PM
church's chicken please and thank you

szw
10-24-2008, 07:07 PM
All you guys want are more franchises? I think Calgary has enough of those already.

sabad66
10-24-2008, 07:42 PM
bring back red robin!

flipstah
10-24-2008, 11:22 PM
El Pollo Loco FTW!

But yeah, Popeye's would be pretty sweet here! I heard they were going to open an In-N-Out at Deerfoot Meadows? Or is it open? :dunno:

bobby_lu
10-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by kissmyKICKS

qft :love:

harv91
10-24-2008, 11:53 PM

:werd:
ihop is fucking soo good :drool:

FiveFreshFish
10-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by kissmyKICKS

They used to be in Calgary. Wonder why they all closed down here?

googe
10-25-2008, 12:18 AM
haha ihop wtf? its the same as dennys. gross!

i like the idea this place has going, dunno why it hasnt been done sooner:
http://www.uwink.com/restaurants
http://www.uwink.com/technology/products/

http://media.uwink.com/photos/about/terminal1.jpg

order and pay on demand, instead of waiting for servers to come around.

yoda124
10-25-2008, 02:29 AM
how about Sizzler Steakhouse?I think one would do well here since Albertans love their beef.I'm a big steak lover myself.

lelalong
10-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by googe
haha ihop wtf? its the same as dennys. gross!

i like the idea this place has going, dunno why it hasnt been done sooner:
http://www.uwink.com/restaurants
http://www.uwink.com/technology/products/

http://media.uwink.com/photos/about/terminal1.jpg

order and pay on demand, instead of waiting for servers to come around.

definitely! cool. short ribs stuffed burger.... :drool: sounds good!

No franchises in Canada allowed yet though. :thumbsdow

bignerd
10-25-2008, 09:54 PM

Yea, they make a good italian pizza there. other notable italian pizzas are il centro and sandro's.

Really? I thought the pizza sucked, big time. The toppings were slim(I understand it is the true Italian style), they don't cut it for you and the crust was soggy in the middle, not just a little soggy but fall apart wet. The soggy crust combined with trying to cut the pizza just made it a mushy mess. The appetizers were great though, the calamari and antipasto.

badatusrnames
10-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by bignerd

Really? I thought the pizza sucked, big time. The toppings were slim(I understand it is the true Italian style), they don't cut it for you and the crust was soggy in the middle, not just a little soggy but fall apart wet. The soggy crust combined with trying to cut the pizza just made it a mushy mess. The appetizers were great though, the calamari and antipasto.

Yeah it's not supposed to be cut for you. All part of the authenticity (the are certified something or other)

As far as the crust being soggy in the middle, that's just wrong. I would've sent it back for sure and they would have happily fixed the problem, they are big sticklers for quality there. I've never had a bad pizza there in the few times I've been.

You're right though, the apps are awesome!

dino_martini
10-25-2008, 10:29 PM

IHOP...seriously? I ate at one in Anaheim and I dont see what all the hype is about. Its like Denny's except not quite as good. :dunno:

Originally posted by flipstah
But yeah, Popeye's would be pretty sweet here! I heard they were going to open an In-N-Out at Deerfoot Meadows? Or is it open? :dunno:

Thats Fat Burger.

There will never be an In-N-Out in Calgary. In-N-Out buys chunks of beef and takes them to their own facility in Baldwin Park California. There they have butchers take the bones out of the beef and grind it. Then its trucked out to every In-N-Out location. They will never freeze their beef. So unless they opened a facility in Calgary, there will never be an In-N-Out here. Unfortunate, because their burgers are so damn good.

ercchry
10-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by bignerd

+10000000 :werd:

i went there right after coming back from europe and i must say after having pizza over there that place SUCKSSS i had the exact same experience when i was there, and it tasted burned... and not the good wood oven pizza burned taste either :barf:

nonlinear
10-26-2008, 01:13 AM
i agree with you that pulcinella isn't the best pizza in the world, but it is one of the better pizzas in calgary. that said, the pizza scene here really, really sucks, and there are only a handful of places to get a good pizza with quality ingredients. but it's not new york or chicago LOL

szw
10-26-2008, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Yeah it's not supposed to be cut for you. All part of the authenticity (the are certified something or other)

As far as the crust being soggy in the middle, that's just wrong. I would've sent it back for sure and they would have happily fixed the problem, they are big sticklers for quality there. I've never had a bad pizza there in the few times I've been.

You're right though, the apps are awesome!

I've experienced the same soggy pizza twice in two visits there. Didn't complain, just stopped going. I wanted to like the place.

aypi
10-26-2008, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

But I would like to see Flip Food out here...Jollibee's or a Goldilocks FO SHO...tanginah...

:werd:

thats all i need!!!

snoop101
10-26-2008, 11:13 AM
In BC there's IHOP's everywhere. Its more of a breakfest place all day long type place. More on the pancakes then anything else.

aaronck
10-27-2008, 11:22 AM
There's got to be a couple of new places opening up...Seems like new joints are opening up on Macleod trail, the old Burger King beside the Keg is getting a Reno, and beside Redwater Grill the Oil change joint was torn down and it seems a fast food joint is going in there as well.

I'd love to try in and Out burger, as well as White Castle. Carls Jr and Jack in the box also serve up some pretty tasty junkfood as well

BokCh0y
10-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Jack in the Box would be nice...mmm sour dough jack!!!

analbumcover
10-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Ihop
Popeyes
White Castle
Sonic
Krystals
Checkers

Godfuader
10-27-2008, 12:16 PM
White Castle is nasty...but I need to have it everytime im in Jersey. Its one of those great decision at the time...but you get regretful really fast. Checkers on the other hand looks bad...but always ends up being a good choice.

me_dennis
10-27-2008, 10:59 PM
i'd like to see some korean tofu places, as well as more korean bbq places..

and as for food court food, i really wish they had some corndog places.. i just got back from LA and they had a place in most food courts called "hot dog on a stick" and i realized that calgary doesn't have any corndog places, other than the stampede..

Isaiah
10-27-2008, 11:16 PM
I agree with the negative Pulcinella comments. I've been there 3 times. The first time was just after they opened, drove by and thought I'd give them a try. The pizza felt as though it had just been pulled out of the toilet. It was a big sloppy mess.

Maybe they're just new. Let's give it another chance. A month later, went there on a date and had the same experience. Apparently that's the Napoletana style of pizza but I don't buy it. Service wasn't great either.

Finally, after arguing with someone about how shitty the pizza is, I was coerced to try it a third time. Obviously that's just how they make the goddamn pizza. It comes out soggy, the crust tastes burnt, the toppings are sparse, and that's the Napoletana way.

I can safely say that Pulcinella was the worst pizza experience of my life.

futurecivic
10-27-2008, 11:35 PM
they deffinetly need to bring back red robins that place was good and their endless fries were so good.

bobby_lu
10-27-2008, 11:51 PM
tlga

jwslam
10-28-2008, 12:37 PM
nobody wants TGIF?!?!

Mibz
10-28-2008, 12:42 PM
IHOP
In and Out

I'd be 300lb in no time.

snoop101
10-28-2008, 12:46 PM
How about a Spanish Tapa bar. I think theres only a couple Spanish restaurants here in town but they charge a arm and a leg. We need a "fun" Spanish Tapa bar. In Van theres a few and there always packed with people.

Proyecto2000
10-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen or Pappasito’s Cantina would be awsome :thumbsup:

schocker
10-28-2008, 12:52 PM
in and out, i have heard good things of it, also ihop for pancakes.

reiRei
10-28-2008, 01:23 PM
De Dutch!!!

mm, massive panakoken

szw
10-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by reiRei
De Dutch!!!

mm, massive panakoken

http://www.dedutch.com/

This thread is for restaurants that Calgary doesn't have!

snoop101
10-28-2008, 01:41 PM
De Dutch!!!

mm, massive panakoken

ohh i forgot about this. Theres two in Kelowna. We used to go there every week.

reiRei
10-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by szw

http://www.dedutch.com/

This thread is for restaurants that Calgary doesn't have!

it's not open.....
....yet.

Godfuader
10-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
nobody wants TGIF?!?!
Applebees is the same...minus the Lemonade and Jack Daniels menu.

Isaiah
10-28-2008, 08:29 PM
How about a Spanish Tapa bar. I think theres only a couple Spanish restaurants here in town but they charge a arm and a leg. We need a "fun" Spanish Tapa bar. In Van theres a few and there always packed with people.

Next time you're in Canmore try Tapas. It's a Spanish/Portuguese restaurant which only serves...you guessed it, tapas.

The food is great and the variety is terrific. The service if friendly, fast, and reliable.

RY213
10-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Roscoes chicken and Waffles

lelalong
10-28-2008, 09:25 PM

it's not open.....
....yet.

pfanntastik pannekoek on Crowchild Tr SW near to Central Memorial.....better than DeDutch!

Nissanaddict
10-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Santa Lucia Pizza from Winnipeg. That stuff is taaaasty. A Carl Jr's would see me buying that $6 (or is it 5?) burger with the onion ring in it often too.

signature7
10-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Fuddruckers.

De dutch off of memorial was the shit, now it's Safari grill or something. I thought that place was way better than the dutch place off of Crowchild.

Supa Dexta
10-30-2008, 02:43 AM
I went to a red robins in edm and thought it sucked ass. But the parking lot is always packed it seems.

I want an Irving bigstop out here. :rofl:

broken_legs
10-30-2008, 03:37 AM
Fogo de Chao!!!!!!!!!

http://www.fogodechao.com/
http://www.fogodechao.com/locations/houstonTX.htm

Bolero = :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Also would like to see the Red Robin back.

- Carls Jr.
- Those Gas Stations in BC that sell Chester Fried Chicken
- Those 7-11s in Sask that sell chicken on a stick
- Bonanza
- Mr. Mikes (the old one with the salad bar not this new crappy west coast grill BS)