PDA

View Full Version : smart car sales up 871%

MoDo27
10-24-2008, 12:16 PM
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/business/story.html?id=1ff14b41-cbb3-46ff-9a9f-78da9b62accd

Most improved YTD from September 2007. Pretty crazy considering how almost everyone else is tanking!!

QuasarCav
10-24-2008, 12:19 PM
I don't understand the appeal of these cars. You can get better MPG and real life usability from a 1994 Tercel.

Aleks
10-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
I don't understand the appeal of these cars. You can get better MPG and real life usability from a 1994 Tercel.

That and gas is cheap :dunno:

I'd rather buy a corolla or civic and get 85% of the fuel mileage.

Xtrema
10-24-2008, 12:22 PM
I bet if you map out the owners, most of them will be in Toronto.

bobby_lu
10-24-2008, 12:24 PM
:werd: There are so many better options with good or almost as good economy with way more usability.

Stealth22
10-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
I'd rather buy a corolla or civic and get 85% of the fuel mileage.

:werd:

The MPG on the Corolla and Civic is almost as good, you can fit more people...and the MSRP is like $3000 more. The only thing the Smart Car is really good for is weaving in and out of traffic..and even that is a maybe. But if I wanted something to weave in and out of rush hour traffic, I'd get a Mini Cooper...or a motorcycle.

A friend and I were driving down Deerfoot last weekend, we saw a Smart Car. Neither of us had ever seen one on Deerfoot before, so we started laughing, and honestly, I was surprised that those things can go that fast! :rofl:

l/l/rX
10-24-2008, 12:29 PM
do you think it has something to do with the gas prices?

Stealth22
10-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
do you think it has something to do with the gas prices?

Well, everyone else with money bought all the hybrids..so the Smart Car was all that was left at the bottom of the barrel :rofl:

ZorroAMG
10-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Can't park a tercel or corolla or porky civic as well as a smart car, guess that's an appeal too :rolleyes:

Eleanor
10-24-2008, 12:40 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Stealth22
10-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Can't park a tercel or corolla or porky civic as well as a smart car, guess that's an appeal too :rolleyes:

I hope you were being sarcastic there. Parking a Corolla is not like parking a bus! If someone can't successfully park a car the size of a Civic, they shouldn't have a license. :facepalm:

The only time a Smart Car comes in handy, parking-wise, is if you're in a parking lot like, say...Lot 11 at the U of C where everyone takes up more than their share of a parking spot :rolleyes:

benyl
10-24-2008, 12:46 PM
The smart car is as long as most of those cars are wide. They can park perpendicularly.

Eleanor
10-24-2008, 12:53 PM
^ 'cept it's illegal

Aleks
10-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

$1/L should not force anyone to choose a smart car over a civic or corolla EVER to save some $ on gas.

ZorroAMG
10-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Stealth22

I hope you were being sarcastic there. Parking a Corolla is not like parking a bus! If someone can't successfully park a car the size of a Civic, they shouldn't have a license. :facepalm:

The only time a Smart Car comes in handy, parking-wise, is if you're in a parking lot like, say...Lot 11 at the U of C where everyone takes up more than their share of a parking spot :rolleyes:

Originally posted by benyl
The smart car is as long as most of those cars are wide. They can park perpendicularly.

/reply

blownz
10-24-2008, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

/reply
No they can't. You think so looking at it but it isn't even close.

It is almost 9 feet long. Not even a Hummer H1 is that wide.

I had one for a few months when they first came out and I was sure it would fit in the bed of a Ford F350, but it is too long and too wide.

It is small, just not that small. If you parked it like that someone would clip the front.

sputnik
10-24-2008, 01:16 PM
The 871% figure is pretty misleading.

Considering the fact that it has more to do with a mediocre launch and limited cities that it was initially available in more than anything.

sputnik
10-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by blownz

No they can't. You think so looking at it but it isn't even close.

It is almost 9 feet long. Not even a Hummer H1 is that wide.

A standard parking spot is 8' x 20'.

If you use a parallel parking spot and back slightly over the curb you would fit just fine. Especially compared to some of the horrendous parking jobs you see in this city.

benyl
10-24-2008, 01:25 PM
It isn't almost 9 feet long, it is just over 8 feet. If you put the tire on the curb, it is less than that and will therefore fit quite nicely as most people leave at lead 6-8 inches between their tire and the curb.

hampstor
10-24-2008, 01:25 PM

My pride is worth more than the $50 i'd save a month :rofl:

blownz
10-24-2008, 01:34 PM
lol Okay if you guys like to park on the curb then I guess it is okay. And remember the wheels are pretty much at the far corners so you can't just put the bumper over the curb.

We actually tried this at work and the car looked stupid sticking out from the curb. It really stuck out into traffic.

But what do I know, I only used to have one:
http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/2/2/7/79922/smart2-0.jpg
http://photoshare.shaw.ca/image/2/2/7/79922/smart3-0.jpg

max_boost
10-24-2008, 01:38 PM
I fear for my life operating one of these vehicles. It looks like it can get blown over and crushed in an accident but what do I know.

Stealth22
10-24-2008, 01:41 PM
bjBjnQE2ww4

:rofl:

imjimmylin
10-24-2008, 02:09 PM
HAHAHA that car is sweet. I love it when he just picks up the back end and drags it inside.

TKRIS
10-24-2008, 02:12 PM
"Smart car sales up over 800%"

"In other news: Still no shortage of idiots."

core_upt
10-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Top gear spot was brilliant!:rofl:

Seriously, Iif all I did was drive in stop and go traffic, or short distances with no speed needed, I'd have a smartcar as a daily.

403Gemini
10-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

A standard parking spot is 8' x 20'.

If you use a parallel parking spot and back slightly over the curb you would fit just fine. Especially compared to some of the horrendous parking jobs you see in this city.

Theres a smart car down at the shawnessy futureshop that always parks like that. I love it and get a laugh when i see it. little bugger just needs to drive out of the stall at the end of the day lol

C4S
10-24-2008, 02:29 PM
It is funny .. in europe .. I think their sale has dropped a lots ..

I guess it is marketing, few yr ago, they were popular in Europe .. and people over there liked it, and wanted it .. so they didnt come over here untill few yrs ago.

Untill now, people in Europe/asian dont want it .. so .. they have to ship them over here .. :dunno:

So, it is not MORE people want them as the reason their sale increase in Canada .. it is more people DON'Y want them .. as more of them selling here. :D

SetoJai
10-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Never knew smart cars sale would be up so high... considering it is a dangerous little car. Is the gas mileage the only thing that attracts consumers to buy this car? You can get better mileage in a honda or toyota if you don't drive like a maniac.

Team_Mclaren
10-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by SetoJai
Never knew smart cars sale would be up so high... considering it is a dangerous little car. Is the gas mileage the only thing that attracts consumers to buy this car? You can get better mileage in a honda or toyota if you don't drive like a maniac.

actually, the smart car is surprisingly save

Isaiah
10-25-2008, 03:49 PM

$1/L...
That will last about 6 more minutes.

Casa
10-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

That will last about 6 more minutes.

not here :burnout:

dino_martini
10-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

That or business owners looking for a vehicle to advertise their business.

Justing
10-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Originally posted by dino_martini

That or business owners looking for a vehicle to advertise their business.

or homosexual

dj techsta
10-26-2008, 02:12 AM
supposed reason for buying a smart:
"It's a safe, economical vehicle that gets me from A to B"

real reason for buying a smart:
"honey, I went to the mercedes dealership and bought this really cute little car"

Anchor:
"In other news, there has been a 871% increase in divorce rates in the country, although we believe the two increases are not linked"

And yes the smart is safer than it looks, you can thank that triange like design for that (it's called a something safety cell), as well as the improved crumple zones make it as safe as it's larger competitors in the small car class

Smart vs E-class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnVNUvixWUQ

Smart vs S-class
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPdEWLnAQr0

redline
10-26-2008, 11:20 AM

I have seen them parked that way in downtown calgary, dont know if they got a ticket or not... :rofl: