PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Car is This?

Benny-X
10-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Hey Everyone!

I'm new to these forums, and just like all of you I Love Cars.

I'm just graduating university and I'm starting to consider what I'm going to be driving for the next few years. I've been looking at old and new and anything you might think of.

But recently I saw this car and I was really feelin it. I think it's from the 70's, but I can't figure out the manufacturer to look it up and get any prices or specs. As far as I could guess it's a Jaguar or Mazda, but I never found any exact mathes when I searched. It's right hand drive and the pictures are from Japan if that can help you at all.

So if anyone could tell me what kind of car it is or any other kind of hint, I'd be pretty grateful. Thanks.

Ben

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Benny-x/Hanazawa4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Benny-x/Hanazawa3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Benny-x/Hanazawa2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Benny-x/Hanazawa1.jpg

Jlude
10-24-2008, 01:29 PM
No idea what the car is but, good to see beyond is gaining members from the east coast.

Welcome.

megavolt
10-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Looks like an Opel GT...

Edit: stand corrected... but does look a lot like an Opel GT as well... My parents used to have one a few years ago... might be able to find one around here if you like the looks of it. :P

bituerbo
10-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Toyota 2000GT

Xamim
10-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Toyota 2000GT

:werd:

Welcome to beyond.

QuasarCav
10-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Toyota 2000GT

Yup, mirrors on the front fenders.

ekguy
10-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Aren't those super rare and now very expensive collectors cars???

Edit: produced in very limited numbers, now considered one of the first Japanese supercars and also being sold for very high prices since it's also being touted as one of the first truly collectible Japanese cars.

Toyota 2000GT wiki link. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_2000GT)

megavolt
10-24-2008, 01:42 PM
An absolutely minuscule 351 (regular production cars) of the 2000GT were built

:eek:

Redlyne_mr2
10-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
Aren't those super rare and now very expensive collectors cars???

Edit: produced in very limited numbers, now considered one of the first Japanese supercars and also being sold for very high prices since it's also being touted as one of the first truly collectible Japanese cars.

Toyota 2000GT wiki link. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_2000GT)
Yep there was one for sale in Van.. $250 000 IIRC.

ekguy
10-24-2008, 03:51 PM
So....Almost guaranteed the OP will not be buying one of these...If by some small miracle he's got enough money straight out of University to pay for one he'll never find one.

Kloubek
10-24-2008, 03:56 PM
I thought it was an Opel GT, or a Puma.

Guess not.

I can see where the OP thought it might be a Jag though - it has those kind of classic lines.

Gibson
10-24-2008, 06:00 PM
I've always thought that the 2000GT looks extraordinarily like the E-type but with pop up headlights.

seany99119
10-24-2008, 06:04 PM
thats a jaguar ive seen one of these before at the oldies meet in front of home depot

seany99119
10-24-2008, 06:13 PM
correction nvm it is the toyota but ive seen a very similar jaguar :dunno:

snoop101
10-24-2008, 06:15 PM
I was going to say Opel as well.

Anyone have pics of each car to see the differences?

BerserkerCatSplat
10-24-2008, 06:16 PM
That right there is the only Toyota I'd ever spend money on.

snoop101
10-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Opel GT

http://www.v-avto-kontakte.ru/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/797px-opel_gt_bj_1973_am_16072006.jpg

dino_martini
10-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Problem with the 2000gt was that it was way too expensive for what it was at the time....a Toyota. It was more expensive then the equivalent Porsche or Jaguar at the time. Way too expensive. Neat car though

Redlyne_mr2
10-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Problem with the 2000gt was that it was way too expensive for what it was at the time....a Toyota. It was more expensive then the equivalent Porsche or Jaguar at the time. Way too expensive. Neat car though
The reason for that is because of the technology in the car. It was leaps and bounds ahead of anything at the time.

ZorroAMG
10-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Can you elaborate, Ryan?

Redlyne_mr2
10-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Can you elaborate, Ryan?
It wont sound impressive by todays standards but back then the engine was a 2.0l that produced 150hp and 180ftlb or torque, it was also DOHC which for the time was an extraordinary accomplishment. The car also had double wishbone fully independent suspension, magnesium wheels, disc brakes all around, syncromesh 5 speed transmission, limited slip diff, and the brakes were also vacuum boosted which really didnt exist at the time. The car was very lightweight at only 2300lbs and with the decently torquey engine it had some pretty good acceleration. Top speed was 130mph.

Benny-X
10-25-2008, 10:57 AM
WOW guys, that's amazing! I can't believe so many people answered my topic! Thanks a lot!

And I'm really happy that I know what that car is now. It is TOTALLY out of my $30k MAX price range, but I'm more so happy to just know what car it is. That's really been sitting on my mind for more than one month now.

I could definitely see Jag E-Type lines in the car and that Opel GT is a nice looking car too. All three are pretty similar, so maybe I should take a look at the Opel?

I mentioned Mazda too, did any of you guys think it could have been an old Mazda? I thought 1967 Mazda Cosmo Sport had similar lines to the Jag and really looked like that Opel GT. The rear was totally different, but the front had a similar shape, and those mid mounted mirrors are the same.

It's too bad there only like 330 Toyota 2000GT's kicking around, I guess I'll have to push for it in the future if I ever become rich and lucky enough to find one when they're more than 50 years old...

ZorroAMG
10-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

It wont sound impressive by todays standards but back then the engine was a 2.0l that produced 150hp and 180ftlb or torque, it was also DOHC which for the time was an extraordinary accomplishment. The car also had double wishbone fully independent suspension, magnesium wheels, disc brakes all around, syncromesh 5 speed transmission, limited slip diff, and the brakes were also vacuum boosted which really didnt exist at the time. The car was very lightweight at only 2300lbs and with the decently torquey engine it had some pretty good acceleration. Top speed was 130mph.

Nah, that IS impressive given the era. Thanks for the input, dude!

R!zz0
10-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini

Thats why it was driven by James Bond in "You Only Live Twice"
I think he drove the convertible if i'm not mistaken.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

I'm not sure the technology was really the key factor here, as most (if not all) of those technologies had been produced by Jaguar and other companies nearly a decade earlier. For instance, the 1960 Jaguar XK150 had a DOHC I6 producing 220HP and all-wheel discs. If you look at the 1967 XKE, it had the improved 265HP DOHC I6, all-wheels disc brakes, syncromesh 4-speed, independent suspension, limited slip diff, etc. Magnesium wheels were hardly a new invention, either. No, the 2000GT sold more or less on style alone, and the low-volume production kept the price high. Even for the late 60's, the 2000GT was slow but beautiful.

tentacles
10-25-2008, 12:22 PM
There was no convertible. The chopped the roof off specifically for the film because Sean Connery could not fit in the coupe. There was a fake hump in the back so it looks like it might have a folding roof but it didn't.

http://www.c-ysports.com/2jz_2000gt_5.jpg
http://www.c-ysports.com/2jz_2000gt_81.jpg

ekguy
10-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Benny-X
WOW guys, that's amazing! I can't believe so many people answered my topic! Thanks a lot!

And I'm really happy that I know what that car is now. It is TOTALLY out of my $30k MAX price range, but I'm more so happy to just know what car it is. That's really been sitting on my mind for more than one month now.

I mentioned Mazda too, did any of you guys think it could have been an old Mazda? I thought 1967 Mazda Cosmo Sport had similar lines to the Jag and really looked like that Opel GT. The rear was totally different, but the front had a similar shape, and those mid mounted mirrors are the same.

An old Mazda Cosmo would be nice as hell as well. But those don't look the same as the 2000gt. Also come as convertibles only if I'm not mistaken. And those are also mostly considered collectors cars now. You may be able to find one in or around your price limit though. If it's been restored to it's original condition it may be a bit pricey. I remember reading about one a guy paid over what you want to spend and then double that to restore it since parts are so rare.

But if you bought an old Mazda Cosmo you'd be my hero.

Redlyne_mr2
10-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

I'm not sure the technology was really the key factor here, as most (if not all) of those technologies had been produced by Jaguar and other companies nearly a decade earlier. For instance, the 1960 Jaguar XK150 had a DOHC I6 producing 220HP and all-wheel discs. If you look at the 1967 XKE, it had the improved 265HP DOHC I6, all-wheels disc brakes, syncromesh 4-speed, independent suspension, limited slip diff, etc. Magnesium wheels were hardly a new invention, either. No, the 2000GT sold more or less on style alone, and the low-volume production kept the price high. Even for the late 60's, the 2000GT was slow but beautiful.
I should elaborate that this was a huge step for Japan and their auto industry in a whole. Keep in mind, Japan was considered an inferior country during these times. The production and release of the 2000gt showed the rest of the world what the Japanese were capable of which is why this car has such a historical significance. It was the beginning of the technological era in automotive production for the Japanese.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Yes, it was unquestionably a proof-of-concept for the Japanese auto industry.