PDA

View Full Version : social insurance number

e36bmw///
10-25-2008, 01:50 PM
nm

badatusrnames
10-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by e36bmw///
what does the employer see when looking at someones SIN?

previous work exp?

That you are legally entitled to work in this country. They would never be allowed to see job history.

bignerd
10-25-2008, 02:05 PM
It can also be used to pull a credit bureau if that is part of their hiring process.

e36bmw///
10-25-2008, 02:14 PM
nm

TACO.VIDAL
10-25-2008, 02:16 PM
you dont legally have to provide a SIN until youre hired.

if they want to run a credit bureau, they can do it without a SIN but they need to ask you if you permit them to pull the bureau.

topmade
10-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL

if they want to run a credit bureau, they can do it without a SIN but they need to ask you if you permit them to pull the bureau.
:werd: I never put my SIN number on applications and only give it out if hired.

gofastmerc
10-25-2008, 03:08 PM
On kinda the same subject, why does the track in Edmonton ask for it? I thought it was an employer only type thing.

06civic
10-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL

Its possible that they can pull the wrong bureau without sin and mess up someone elses

SigmaRacing
10-25-2008, 03:43 PM
They can can also see your employment record and note if any of your previous employers have logged a "non-rehirable" status against you. Its a pain to fight those.

Paul
10-25-2008, 03:44 PM
fuck, thought this was going to be a thread like, "Hey everyone, post your SIN number and I'll tell you if it's lucky!"

I'll start:

631-451-388

:hijack:

badatusrnames
10-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by SigmaRacing
They can can also see your employment record and note if any of your previous employers have logged a "non-rehirable" status against you. Its a pain to fight those.

Really? I thought that type of information would be protected. I've never heard of a non-rehirable status before. That sounds like a very serious thing for an employer to levy against an employee. What does it take for an employer to log that against someone? I can definitely see that as being something that can be abused by a disgruntled employer.

Mys73ri0
10-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Really? I thought that type of information would be protected. I've never heard of a non-rehirable status before. That sounds like a very serious thing for an employer to levy against an employee. What does it take for an employer to log that against someone? I can definitely see that as being something that can be abused by a disgruntled employer.

agreed, more info on this please sigma

TomcoPDR
10-25-2008, 04:00 PM

+2 more info...

I believe what you're talking about is only an internal corporation, but I'm really interested in your research of that against someone's SIN#

Amysicle
10-25-2008, 04:18 PM
They can can also see your employment record and note if any of your previous employers have logged a "non-rehirable" status against you. Its a pain to fight those. +3 for more info.

I'm interested to hear more about this and I'm wondering if I can look at my own employment record they have on file.

Not expecting to see anything since I still get hired but it's got me curious.

badatusrnames
10-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

+2 more info...

I believe what you're talking about is only an internal corporation, but I'm really interested in your research of that against someone's SIN#

Yeah I think that's what he means. As in, Big Corporation X will flag your SIN in their records, so that if you get fired in City A, you'll get flagged if you try and get a job in City B.

The more I think about it, there's no way that anyone can be allowed to just pull up your entire employment history with just your SIN. That has to be confidential and protected information.

Imagine for example, if you were one of those chicks that worked as a stripper to pay her way through law school - if employers had access to this type of information, people who have worked less than respectable jobs in the past would be screwed.

codetrap
10-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by e36bmw///
what does the employer see when looking at someones SIN?

previous work exp?

You can use it to extrapolate when and where they were born too.

eg_eric
03-03-2009, 04:15 PM
DON'T GIVE YOUR SIN OUT BEFORE YOU'RE HIRED!

Sometimes employers (bad employers and this is only on some occasions) will place a hiring ad and ask for your SIN #. Of course, you wait for a response and no one calls. No biggie. Anyhow, when you're looking up your info some time later, or something else, you find out that you worked for The French Maid... Thing is, you've never worked for The French Maid and on top of that you did not pay taxes while working there and now owe the gov't $$$.... WHY???

Because the employer where you applied took your SIN # and gave it to someone that was not entitled to work in Canada. This could lead to very big problems for you, not to mention the credit trouble it could land you in. Speaking from personal experience here.

Tarrantula
03-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by eg_eric

Sometimes employers (bad employers and this is only on some occasions) will place a hiring ad and ask for your SIN #. Of course, you wait for a response and no one calls. No biggie. Anyhow, when you're looking up your info some time later, or something else, you find out that you worked for The French Maid... Thing is, you've never worked for The French Maid and on top of that you did not pay taxes while working there and now owe the gov't $$$.... WHY???

Because the employer where you applied took your SIN # and gave it to someone that was not entitled to work in Canada. This could lead to very big problems for you, not to mention the credit trouble it could land you in. Speaking from personal experience here.

How much did you make while working at the french maid?:rofl:

eg_eric
03-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Tarrantula
How much did you make while working at the french maid?:rofl:

HAHA, not enough to live.

Kavy
03-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by eg_eric

My company asks for SIN numbers during the hiring process because we run criminal checks and to ensure we get the right Joe Smith we cross reference SIN's.

I dont think anyone would give out their SIN over the net or in a telephone interview thats just silly.

WWJAI
03-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Paul
fuck, thought this was going to be a thread like, "Hey everyone, post your SIN number and I'll tell you if it's lucky!"

I'll start:

631-451-388

:hijack:

WTH. That's my social insurance number. :whipped:

Alterac
03-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Mine is
XXX-XXX-XXX

its amazing how the board is smart enought to obfunsicate the real sin numbers eh? Only the fake ones like that guys show.

adam c
03-10-2009, 08:48 PM
oh kool

691-882-631

adam c
03-10-2009, 08:49 PM
oh wait there a minut, mine is showing up wats da deal?

Alterac
03-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Maybe you did it wrong, post up your mom and dads also..

Shogged
03-10-2009, 08:58 PM
They can also get the last few places you've lived based on Canada post and the mail you've recieved