PDA

View Full Version : To the asshat who hit a kid in Huntington

Q-TIP
10-25-2008, 02:14 PM
On the 17th of October my little brother's friend was hit by a car pulling out of an alley while riding his bike on the sidewalk. The impact was severe enough to shatter his right arm requiring surgery.

After hitting the cyclist the car reversed, and drove around the boy and took off. Any tips can be put forth to the the police.

The car was a red honda civic (or similar vehicle) that may now have a dent on its hood. Let's nail this guy.

topmade
10-25-2008, 02:21 PM
:guns: Asshole is an understatement for this guy. Will keep my eyes open for this car.

Jlude
10-25-2008, 02:26 PM
why wait till now to post this?

jazzyb
10-25-2008, 02:36 PM
this is the the most needed time for beyond csi, but does'nt seem like theres enuff info

Datsun-Fever
10-25-2008, 02:37 PM
I live in beddington, for what its worth ill keep my eyes and ears open... but hey, why dont we go to the place it happened and do a little recon, if he was pulling out of an alley he might live around there.

Q-TIP
10-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Just posting it now because it was only brought to my attention this afternoon. I am also working on more information.

cam_wmh
10-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Which intersection?

SaturnV
10-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by cam_wmh
Which intersection?

Yeah, even the approximate area would help. NE or NW Huntington?

Anyway, I will keep my eyes open.

jahobo
10-25-2008, 08:17 PM
damn that sucks to hear
i was hit by a car coming out of the alley while riding my bike once, he wasnt to hard of a hit, but the driver came out and made sure everything was fine did everything to help.

hope this guy is caught

but yeah once a lil more recon is done some info will pop up and hopefully he is caught

nonlinear
10-26-2008, 01:01 AM
yea, i've been hit by cars a couple of times on my bike. one time when I was about 8 some dude ran a stop sign and ran into me, knocking me off the bike. he got out and asked if i was OK, and i said yea and drove off (even though he was at fault, i was embarassed). the second time I was in university and riding with some friends, and some prick drove by on the side of me and grazed my pedal/leg. didn't knock me off the bike that time, but my ankle hurt like hell.

em2ab
10-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Getting out of these alleys are impossible. They're fenced right to the sidewalk on both sides and bushes growing out of the fence and by the time you can see down the sidewalk to check for a biker, you're already across it. So I think the city's more to blame for the hit than the driver but he's still a douche for driving away.

prae
10-26-2008, 11:50 AM
thats what he gets for riding his bike on the sidewalk.

2EFNFAST
10-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by prae

Technically true - bicycles are supposed to be on the road, not the sidewalks - so I wonder how the legal system would proportion blame here :dunno:

badatusrnames
10-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
Getting out of these alleys are impossible. They're fenced right to the sidewalk on both sides and bushes growing out of the fence and by the time you can see down the sidewalk to check for a biker, you're already across it. So I think the city's more to blame for the hit than the driver but he's still a douche for driving away.

That being said, then you should approach these intersections slowly, not at the speed you would cross a normal intersection at

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Technically true - bicycles are supposed to be on the road, not the sidewalks - so I wonder how the legal system would proportion blame here :dunno:

It's a kid (not sure how old he is). But would you rather have him sharing the road with cars where he may not understand traffic rules? If you ask me, under 14s should be allowed on the sidewalk...

prae
10-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

It's a kid (not sure how old he is). But would you rather have him sharing the road with cars where he may not understand traffic rules? If you ask me, under 14s should be allowed on the sidewalk...

fair enough. I thought there WAS legislation allowing under-15 or something to ride on the sidwalks.

Q-TIP
10-27-2008, 09:26 AM
it was in NE Huntington near the Canadian Tire. The kid is around 14, but still I hate riding my bike on the road and I'm 22. Most cyclists don't have mirrors, cars are not watching for what bikes are going to do and nobody allows me to have a reasonable portion of the road.

I also hate it when cyclists are on the road because they are slow and unpredictable. Either way I believe bikes should be sidewalk machines.

7thgenvic
10-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Q-TIP
it was in NE Huntington near the Canadian Tire. The kid is around 14, but still I hate riding my bike on the road and I'm 22. Most cyclists don't have mirrors, cars are not watching for what bikes are going to do and nobody allows me to have a reasonable portion of the road.

I also hate it when cyclists are on the road because they are slow and unpredictable. Either way I believe bikes should be sidewalk machines.

I use to think that, but in Denmark the government here promotes biking instead of driving. Bikes have more rights then Cars in Denmark. Pretty funny. And I honestly take my bike EVERYWHERE. and cars avoid bikes like nothing else

prae
10-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Q-TIP

Behind the wheel, I am not looking on the sidewalks for anything moving faster than a pedestrian. My problem with bikes on sidewalks is those that do not DISMOUNT when they cross an intersection.

I watch the roads for vehicles, and the sidewalks for people. If you are on a bike, you can assert your right as a VEHICLE on the road, and I will grant you every courtesy I grant other vehicles. But if you are on the sidewalk and expect me to see you zipping across the intersection or my parkade ramp, get fucked.

This is coming from an avid cyclist. I can agree with you that cycling on the road is scary at times.

thrasher22
10-27-2008, 05:19 PM
I fucking hate cyclists that think they're vehicles. You are not capable for traveling a comparable rate of speed, you are not as noticeable, and there is no test for you to pass nor real rules to follow.
You're more than welcome to ride all over the shoulders, but cyclists who ride in traffic lanes create a huge danger both to themselves and everyone else on the road.

But on topic, I hope someone rapes the guy who hit the kid and drove off.

Evolution17
10-27-2008, 05:46 PM
We need bicycle lanes :facepalm:

Thaco
10-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
Getting out of these alleys are impossible. They're fenced right to the sidewalk on both sides and bushes growing out of the fence and by the time you can see down the sidewalk to check for a biker, you're already across it. So I think the city's more to blame for the hit than the driver but he's still a douche for driving away. dude could have at least made sure the kid was ok, instead of just driving around him and taking off. Whether or not it was deliberate, or anybody's fault is irrelevant, the driver should have done the responsible thing and at least made sure the kid was OK.

NoSup4U
10-28-2008, 04:08 AM
Does this surprise anyone with the abundance of asshat drivers around this city?Just from what I see in the daily commute im surprised this doesn't happen more often!People eed to stop worrying about themselves and pay attention to everone else around them.

I'll be in that area or the next few weeks for work and ill keep an eye out....for the dick AND other kids

Heff
10-28-2008, 08:24 AM

Bullsh!t. The driver committed a hit-and-run injury offense. Regardless of whether the kid was unlawfully riding on a sidewalk - the driver committed a crime and should pay the price for it.

Xodus989
10-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Heff

Bullsh!t. The driver committed a hit-and-run injury offense. Regardless of whether the kid was unlawfully riding on a sidewalk - the driver committed a crime and should pay the price for it.

Nope! Well, at least it wouldn't be in the states. If he would have stopped to help the kid, or at least stayed at the scene, and he died like he did. He would be arrested for Vehicular Manslaughter, maybe not convicted, but arrested. But now, he will be arrested for murder and convicted for it. In the US at least.

NATE0513
10-28-2008, 12:44 PM
grrr!

clem24
10-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Man what's wrong with you people. The problem is not that the driver hit the kid, it's that he took off. THAT'S the offense. Even if he did run the kid over while he was on the side walk, he may not necessarily be at fault if it's deemed the it was unavoidable (like a blind spot or the kid just blasted out onto the alley without warning).

And for those that think it is unlawful for kids to ride on the sidewalk, think again. This only applies to adults. It is perfectly legal for kids to ride on the sidewalk. I wouldn't want my small kids riding on the road. :rolleyes:

So instead of possibly not getting charged, he's now wanted for hit and run.

anarchy
10-29-2008, 11:58 AM
Like someone said, if he was pulling out of that alley, surely he must live around there. Just keep an eye out around that area for a red civic and I'm sure he'll be caught eventually.

Stealth22
10-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by thrasher22
I fucking hate cyclists that think they're vehicles. You are not capable for traveling a comparable rate of speed, you are not as noticeable, and there is no test for you to pass nor real rules to follow.
You're more than welcome to ride all over the shoulders, but cyclists who ride in traffic lanes create a huge danger both to themselves and everyone else on the road.

But on topic, I hope someone rapes the guy who hit the kid and drove off.

Wrong. Cyclists are considered vehicles, and adult cyclists are pretty much required to ride on the road. There's no tests, but all cyclists are required to follow the same rules as motorists.

On topic - As other posters said, just keep an eye out, the car is bound to be seen again in that area sometime.

Basic Driver's Handbook
Motorists should remember these tips when sharing the road with a cyclist:

* A cyclist riding their bicycle is considered by law to be a vehicle. When a cyclist has stopped and remains astride their bicycle at an intersection waiting for a traffic control signal, they are to be treated as a vehicle waiting for their turn to proceed.
* If a cyclist dismounts completely and is walking beside and pushing their bicycle, then they are considered by law to be a pedestrian.
* When passing a cyclist, go around them like you would any other vehicle. Leave lots of room.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/2114.htm

zarge
10-29-2008, 01:48 PM
^ (from link above) At night, do not "over-drive" your headlights. This means you must be able to stop your vehicle within the distance illuminated by your headlights. Be especially alert for pedestrians. They may be wearing dark clothing and be difficult to see from a distance.

lol. I always said If I hit someone it would be a person wearing a ninja suit in a crosswalk at 1am

HP2133
10-29-2008, 02:23 PM
they are practical in France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark

they are not practical here; after all, the city does not even invest in the alleys and sidewalks, as one user said "alleys are fenced right to the sidewalk on both sides and bushes growing out of the fence and by the time you can see down the sidewalk to check for a biker, you're already across it. So I think the city's more to blame for the hit than the driver"

Originally posted by Evolution17
We need bicycle lanes :facepalm: