PDA

View Full Version : help, tire has a nail

mpl
10-25-2008, 02:41 PM
hi, i just changed all my summer to winter today. and i found out that 1 of my summer has a nail in tread.
my question is, should i fix it now or should i wait till summer and fix it b4 i put the summer on?? or does it really matter?
thx

GQBalla
10-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Shouidlnt matter but I would fix it now

4lti7ude
10-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Its only 10.00 might as well fix it now.

nobb
10-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by 4lti7ude
Its only 10.00 might as well fix it now.

Where can you get it fixed for so cheap? Last time I had a tire patched up it cost about $60 at Canadian Tire.

TomcoPDR
10-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by nobb

Where can you get it fixed for so cheap? Last time I had a tire patched up it cost about $60 at Canadian Tire.

Patch is different than Insert (but as far as I know inserts are still $20 market price)

But to OP, if the tire is off rim, you should get it patched instead of "insert" repair (sorry, can't think of technical term right now)

Edit: Insert repair = "Plugged"

4lti7ude
10-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Yes it is 10.00 for insert.
Never looked at patched price.

SetoJai
10-25-2008, 10:46 PM
my friend used some patching products on his SRT-4 and when it reached high speeds 100kph the car would have little vibrations....

nobb
10-25-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by SetoJai
my friend used some patching products on his SRT-4 and when it reached high speeds 100kph the car would have little vibrations....

Did the wheel get balanced after? That might be why.

jwslam
10-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by nobb

haha
you do your own inserts and it's like 5bucks

Redlyne_jr
10-25-2008, 11:06 PM
yea its pretty easy to do, i dunno if i would trust canadian tire, notorious for scratching rims but any shop should ahve the tools to do it:thumbsup:

MoneyPit
10-25-2008, 11:06 PM
come by my garage ill do it for 10 bucks :dunno:

VetteRacin
10-26-2008, 12:11 AM
Plugs are pointless repairs that usually dont last, get it done right and get it patched.

5000Audi
10-27-2008, 01:56 AM
kaltire is free for a plug/patch, its a patch with a plug built in... very good unit had my tires fixed many of times there...

some places may try and charge you tho...but bring up the policy to them since it is policy for them to do it free...

****EDIT ****

yeah sure you come in for a flat repair..and its free (no matter how many times you come in) and we check your front end, battery, tires ect … we want to look after YOU and exceed your expectations

that taken off a website disscussing kaltire...from a kaltire employee...

http://www.tyleringram.com/blog/kal-tire-how-they-can-screw-you-over

ExtraSlow
10-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Agreed, Kaltire FTW. They give out the patches/plugs so that you'll buy your next set of tires from them.
pretty smart actually. They may have won me as a customer.

Kona9
10-27-2008, 07:29 AM
Your tire accidentally the whole nail?

I have never paid for a patch or small hole repair by taking it to Kal Tire as mentioned.

60 bucks at Cdn tire? :eek: How many religions have you changed from people knocking at your door?

BigWill
10-27-2008, 08:19 AM
free tire repairs at kal-tire...DO IT!

7thgenvic
10-27-2008, 08:26 AM
This free tire repair is with the tire off! they won't mount and re-mount for free

ExtraSlow
10-27-2008, 08:48 AM
Not sure if they have to un-mount the tire to do the repair. Last time I was in there, the tire was mounted, and they didn't charge me.
I have a tire in there today with a nail in it, so I'll know tomorrow if they charge me for un-mounting it.

VetteRacin
10-27-2008, 04:54 PM
well if they dont unmount the tire then they are just using a regular plug which again is a horrible repair that wont last

snoop101
10-27-2008, 04:57 PM
When I got my repaired they said they dont plug them anymore. It has to be patched. It might have been a company policy.

rc2002
10-27-2008, 05:07 PM
I've had a few tires plugged and have never had problems. But it never really mattered because I never used those tires for driving on the track or on the highway out of town.

Plug jobs are cheap and you can do it yourself. But a patch job is more expensive and depending on the tire, it might not be that much additional just to buy a new or even a used tire.

5000Audi
10-27-2008, 05:12 PM
7thgenvic said

This free tire repair is with the tire off! they won't mount and re-mount for free

that is unture, they will do it for free even if the tire is on your car... i dont know where you get that from...

snoop101 said

When I got my repaired they said they dont plug them anymore. It has to be patched. It might have been a company policy.

then the kaltire your going to is useing old patches, they use a plug/patch unit, its a circular patch with a rubber plug built in.. they drill out the hole with a drill and then grind the inside of the tire down so its ruff surface, put down contact cement, dry with a heat gun, put plug tho hole and pull with a side cutters till the patch has a slight dent in the middle where the plug is incorperated into the patch.. then roll with a tool... some shop will even put a rubber compound over the patch for extra security.. but not required.. and usually they will not rebalance your tires..just mount them the same way they were on before by marking the tire with tire chalk... but if it throws off your balance then get them to rebalance it...usually dont tho...

ExtraSlow
10-27-2008, 05:42 PM
They definitely take them off the rim. Just got back from kal tire.

rp_guy
10-27-2008, 09:44 PM
good luck to the OP. i drove onto a drill bit and it was quite repairable until i drove on the tire at 4psi for 2 days :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

VetteRacin
10-27-2008, 10:31 PM
then the kaltire your going to is useing old patches, they use a plug/patch unit, its a circular patch with a rubber plug built in..

Not all shops use the plug patch, in fact there are alot of them around that still just use a regular patch vs the plug patch

flipstah
10-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Canadian Tire did mine (4 nails) for $30 bucks.

I dunno where you got $60 from :dunno:

ShermanEF9
10-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic

they replaced my valve stem for free while it was on the car.

88jbody
10-29-2008, 06:03 PM
at the shop where i work it is 39$ tax in for a tire repair. that will plug small holes, patchplug larger holes or always done on high speed rating tires, or even if we have to pull it off, fix it, reseal the rim, valve stem is $2.50 extra

mpl
10-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Not sure if they have to un-mount the tire to do the repair. Last time I was in there, the tire was mounted, and they didn't charge me.
I have a tire in there today with a nail in it, so I'll know tomorrow if they charge me for un-mounting it.
keep me update please. actually i got the tire from somewhere else, is that a problem??

Joe-G
10-29-2008, 11:29 PM
If you want to get it patched for relatively cheap go to Race Trac Gas in Ogden.
In behind the gas station they have a little tire shop and unless they've changed their prices, a patch job should cost 15ish including the unmounting and mounting both the tire and rim. It seems like a pretty small/ghetto shop but i've never seen any problems with their patch jobs.

Supa Dexta
10-30-2008, 03:17 AM
I've used plugs from walmart in my 40 series z rated's, and they've handled many hrs at 140-160 thru the mountains.