PDA

View Full Version : What the right age to.....

Accord_tunerx
10-26-2008, 03:39 AM
get out from the tuner sence?
opinions?

5000Audi
10-26-2008, 03:46 AM
hmm good question... never hahahah

old guys still cruze in the old mustangs and whatnot from their era....so why cant we drive our rice burners for years and years?

TomcoPDR
10-26-2008, 03:52 AM
The thing is, everybody's backgrounds are different. Some grow up with rich parents (who can BUY THEM rice-cars at 16) and some parents make really good money but never wanna spend a dime to feed their kids' tuner addictions. And the obvious is no money.

So to each of our own, some of the 16 yo's who never had a chance are now entering into their 20-29 but finally able to afford something THEY LIKE, whether from childhood (16) memories or present fads of a "tuner car"

To OP, do what feels right for you man. I would still drive a "souped up" '95 Civic as a winter beater or just a "john car" to cruise the stroll.

Jlude
10-26-2008, 08:41 AM
I plan on keeping a toy for as long as I live.. can't see me ever getting rid of the s2k

stealth
10-26-2008, 08:54 AM
Honestly, I grew out of it, at the age of 21, so this year.

I looked back at all the money I spent, and wow do I ever regret it.

Right now I am in the middle of a major build, and will lose out on too much money if I quit. So I am doing the necessary things to finish it off, and drive it. Haven't driven my car in 2 years...

superboost
10-26-2008, 10:45 AM
^ thats because its an mr2 half of you fuckers never get a chance to drive your cars. :rofl: :rofl:

I have to say I have outgrown the scene just not the cars. I dont like the kind of people or the direction the scene has taken since the first f&f. Parts have become more plentiful, but then again so has the explosion of morons and know it all's. everytime you turn around theres another moron giving us more bad press.

I have to say that for me, cars arent just a casual pass time, they are more of an obession. I have lost more girls to my builds then I can count.
I would truly choose a boosted car over a relationship anyday. Atleast when the car acts up, I know what to do to fix it.:clap: :thumbsdow :drama:

EK 2.0
10-26-2008, 10:49 AM
rage2 is like 50...and he has a 700HP M....:dunno:

dj_rice
10-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Edited for fear of being banzored

Tik-Tok
10-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Accord_tunerx
get out from the tuner sence?
opinions?

When normal life responsibilities/money overwhelms your time/funds

It's a hobby after all, you never have to stop your hobby, you just need to put your priorities in order.

03ozwhip
10-26-2008, 11:08 AM
i have the superchraged civic, and im 28. when im driving, i feel like im too old to be driving it. its not a MAN car, i feel like i should be 16 driving this thing. popping in and out from this car to a big v8 doesnt help. i love tuner cars, and my civic is fun as hell but i do think that im changing into something else more dare i say "adult"

TomcoPDR
10-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
i do think that im changing into something else more dare i say "adult"

A truck with balls? :dunno:

buh_buh
10-26-2008, 12:40 PM
rage2 is like 50...and he has a 700HP M....:dunno: :rofl:

DeeK
10-26-2008, 01:56 PM
If you are asking this question, you are too old and it's time to get out :P

three.eighteen.
10-26-2008, 02:07 PM
i thought i was done, but i ended up buying rims this summer (great deal used, otherwise i would not have purchased) and my car is receiving a b18c5 over this weekend, but i guess that's because my c1 is toast...so i'm modding out of necessity...or that's at least what i keep telling myself :devil:

max_boost
10-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Yeah I have those days when I feel kind of old to be driving a modded car. :dunno: But then I don't want to blend right in by driving a stock Honda Accord or whatever lol

Hakkola
10-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Yeah I have those days when I feel kind of old to be driving a modded car. :dunno:

:confused:

You guys are on crack, I've seen 60 y/o dudes driving around in modded benz, bimmers and porsches.

A few years back I remember this guy in Oakridge who must have been around 60 and he had an nsx, I'm pretty sure it wasn't stock either.

That said, having rims or even some 'mods' and being in the 'tuner scene' may not be the same thing.

bashir26
10-26-2008, 02:55 PM
looool age has nothing to do with tuning

Idratherbsidewayz
10-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Werd, if you're losing passion for it then the costs might not outweigh the benefits anymore. It's an expensive hobby, don't waste your money if you're not into it anymore.

It's definitely not about age though. You grow out of ricing cars, but not modding them...

Accord_tunerx
10-26-2008, 03:19 PM
yeah, i found this Type R for a hella of a steal. i currently drive a 2002 acura tl type s i think it mature for the age i am in. yet i want to have a fun little ricer to burn around in. just for the weekends.

Ukyo8
10-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Yeah I have those days when I feel kind of old to be driving a modded car. :dunno:

Depends how its modded, I think that age doesn't matter if you drive a tastefully modded car

edit: spelling

msommers
10-26-2008, 03:42 PM
When you run out of money.

rage2
10-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Gee thanks. Great way to start my early bird senior dinner. :thumbsdow

Ekliptix
10-26-2008, 03:54 PM
If you consider hot rodders to be tuners, then I'd say never.

stealth
10-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Let me rephrase my post.

I rather ditch my MR2 and drive a new modded M3 or modded SLK or something to that nature.

Idratherbsidewayz
10-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Accord_tunerx
yeah, i found this Type R for a hella of a steal. i currently drive a 2002 acura tl type s i think it mature for the age i am in. yet i want to have a fun little ricer to burn around in. just for the weekends.

Go for it. Have a fun car for the weekend, and for whenever you want to go out and blow off some steam. You'll always have the TL for everyday boring life.

I hope the ITR isn't riced though...

Accord_tunerx
10-26-2008, 05:38 PM
stock my friend stock! ahhah =D

EK 2.0
10-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Gee thanks. Great way to start my early bird senior dinner. :thumbsdow

whew....that went a lot better than I thought it was going to...haha...:D

iceburns288
10-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Ukyo8
I think that age doesn't matter if you drive a tastefully modded car
The problem is that when most people grow older, they still like to tune/modify their cars but the exterior changes are more subtle. Many older guys drive sleeper Mustangs, Corvettes with few exterior mods, tuned Germans, and NSXs. The import tuner scene is mostly about being gaudy and 'standing out,' something many people grow out of as they get older.

Modifying cars as you age? Possible.
Sticking with the 'tuner scene' as you age? Stupid.

Dumbass17
10-26-2008, 06:18 PM
i don't think people should add anytihng but basics like rims/tint/audio after early 20s IMHO

EK 2.0
10-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

i don't think people should add anytihng but basics like rims/tint/audio after early 20s IMHO

that's a really dumbass comment to make especially on these boards...

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
10-26-2008, 07:04 PM

Pretty sure that subs are going to be a life long investment for every car I buy, I can't imagine running a stock system in any car after I realized the qaulity improvment of even a little power

mrjasm
10-26-2008, 07:05 PM

that's a really dumbass comment to make especially on these boards...

his name's Dumbass17....

thinmyster
10-26-2008, 07:35 PM
im glad you made that connection

max_boost
10-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

:confused:

You guys are on crack, I've seen 60 y/o dudes driving around in modded benz, bimmers and porsches.

A few years back I remember this guy in Oakridge who must have been around 60 and he had an nsx, I'm pretty sure it wasn't stock either.

That said, having rims or even some 'mods' and being in the 'tuner scene' may not be the same thing.

haha yeah I should have clarified. Well you know driving one of those sport compact cars, modified with a big kit and wheels, yeah you get the impression that those are more reserved for the younger crowd 18-25?

When you talk about higher end cars like Benz/Porsche, yeah then you presume those drivers are older right?

That's what I was getting at.

Like someone else said, depends on your definition of tuner because certain cars cater to certain demographics.

A 60 year old lady driving a Honda Civic with a F/I with wide body isn't right but if she's cruising around in a SL with wheels, yeah it's all good lol

Ekliptix
10-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

The problem is that when most people grow older, they still like to tune/modify their cars but the exterior changes are more subtle. Many older guys drive sleeper Mustangs, Corvettes with few exterior mods, tuned Germans, and NSXs. The import tuner scene is mostly about being gaudy and 'standing out,' something many people grow out of as they get older.

Modifying cars as you age? Possible.
Sticking with the 'tuner scene' as you age? Stupid.
QFT!!!

tabouli
10-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Losers that think modifying is temporary need to "get out of the scene" today.
That's a fact ...

My opinion?
Should have gotten out yesterday!

The followers who tag along just to join the crowd will always look stupid. It doesn't matter how young/old they are. People who really enjoy modifying their vehicles won't ever "grow out of it". Style is inherent. You don't pick it up while you're at Starbucks watching cars drive down 17th Ave, and put it down when you hit the bottom of your budget with gray hair.

Tik-Tok
10-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by tabouli

People who really enjoy modifying their vehicles won't ever "grow out of it". Style is inherent. You don't pick it up while you're at Starbucks watching cars drive down 17th Ave, and put it down when you hit the bottom of your budget with gray hair.

Quite true.... but at the same time, I get the feeling you should be driving a BMW.

dj techsta
10-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by tabouli
Losers that think modifying is temporary need to "get out of the scene" today.
That's a fact ...

My opinion?
Should have gotten out yesterday!

The followers who tag along just to join the crowd will always look stupid. +1 on that

While fads may change (as will the looks of cars), at the heart of it all is still the same: the call for speed and performance. Yeah your taste in cars and mods may change (just as one's sense in fashion does), but in the end, you'll be a modder whether you drive a riced out Honda or a modded Lamborghini
I'll be modding til the day I die

Basically in my opinion leave the modding scene when you feel like it, when or when you no longer are able to

And Tic it don't matter what your ride is, but rather what you do with it

Eleanor
10-27-2008, 07:44 AM
Maybe by the time I'm 50 I can actually afford to modify my cars :rofl:

03ozwhip
10-27-2008, 09:47 AM
truck with balls, no. bigger accord maybe instead of a little hatch. what i mean, is that when i drive it and see young people driving the same car, i feel as though i really shouldnt be driving it and should get something a little bigger "adultish" i wont stop modding whatever car i have, because thats what i do, hell i have a ps2 and dvd player in my 07 Outlander

Casa
10-27-2008, 12:19 PM
I think if you have a passion for cars, age doesn't mean anything.

alloroc
10-27-2008, 12:38 PM
I think there is some ambiguity in the question.

Tuner scene as in hanging around timmies waiting for a tint ticket? Then i would say early 20's.

Tuner scene as in stickering up the civic and throwing a fart can on the back? WTF are you thinking you shouldn't be in this scene in the first place.

Tuner scene as in having a hobby car in the garage that you can go work on whenever you get the whim? As long as it fits your budget, whether it is a Civic or an XKE ... You are never too old!

semograd
10-27-2008, 02:20 PM
If its your passion then age doesn't matter. And same goes for the type of car.

Maybe the civic is your favorite car and always has been. Then continue to tune that till the day you die. Who cares if some sixteen year old has the same car, its not about his passion or what people think your passion should be. Its about you and only you.

Im sure there was a time when people were scapping muscle cars left right and center because they were out of style. Then they became cool again years later and the people that kept them reaped the benefits.

3g4u
10-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Lately i have been feeling too old for my eclipse, just too many kids wanting to race all the time. I wont ever stop modding vehicles i get, but i will definetly keep upgrading the vehicle. If that makes any sence. lol.:poosie: