Date: Sun Oct 26 07:39:14 2008
Subject: Marlborough shootuing deaths

-----BEGIN MD5 -----------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------
CITYBEAT - CITY OF CALGARY PRESS RELEASE
-----------------------------------------------------------------

At 0352 hours Sunday October 26 police responded to the 4100
block of Marlborough Drive N.E. on a complaint that a
shooting had occurred in a restaurant at that location.

On arrival officers discovered one female and one male, both
in their early twenties, deceased inside the restaurant. Two
other males in their early twenties had sustained gunshot
wounds. One is in stable condition in hospital and the other
sustained minor injuries. A fifth person at the table was
not injured.

It is not known how many suspects were involved as
investigators have recieved conflicting information about one
or more suspects.

The scene was quickly contained and will be secured while the
investigation continues.

The Homicide Unit is the primary investigation team and will
be assisted in this investigation by personnel from the Gang
Unit, District 4 GIU, Crime Scenes Unit and uniform personnel
as required. At this time approximately 30 police members
are actively involved in the investigation.

No further details are available at this time. All media
inquiries are to be directed to Staff Sergeant Kevin Forsen
of the Homicide Unit at 403 206-8684

-30-

Public Contact Information:

Homicide Unit 403 206-8684 CrimeStoppers 403 1-800-262-TIPS

Public Email Contact:

[email protected]

-----END MD5 6c9743d7d6f95b84ade12b3670190bb4-----

Manhattan
10-26-2008, 08:58 AM
:guns: :guns: :guns:

:eek:

:(

Anyone know which restaurant?

Manhattan
10-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Fuck it. I've got nothin better to do on a Sunday morning anyway, I'm gonna drive by and see. I suspect I know which one, my ex used to take me there all the time, I wonder why... :rofl:

ITS MUUUUUUURDA.
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2007/09/16-22/ja-rule.jpg

TACO.VIDAL
10-26-2008, 09:16 AM
the northeast is getting worse and worse.

post what restaurant it is if you drive by.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_dZIGWboIBU0/SArYSGQGzPI/AAAAAAAAAIw/_xOhzAG3tLw/singh.jpg

Lonely_Driver
10-26-2008, 09:17 AM
It sounds to me like Food In East the chinese restaurant in the plaza with Mac's. Kind of odd though that it was around 4am I remember them closing earlier than that.

momofan
10-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Gunfire broke out in a Marlborough restaurant early this morning, leaving one man and one woman, both in their 20s, dead.

Cops were called to the restaurant, in the 4100 block of Marlborough Dr. N.E., about 4 a.m., after shots rang out in the restaurant.

When they arrived on scene, they found the man and the woman dead inside.

Two other men were both shot, while a fifth person at the table was not injured.

It is believed the shooter is still on the loose.

Graham_A_M
10-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Go NE!!:clap:

dj_rice
10-26-2008, 10:10 AM
:facepalm:

So glad I don't have to hear about this stuff in the news in Edmonton daily

D'z Nutz
10-26-2008, 10:11 AM
And stay out! :guns:

Wehbeast
10-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Was dropping my brother off at marlborough and saw a whole shitload of cop cars at the asian restaurant and a forensics unit truck

Wehbeast
10-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Lonely_Driver
It sounds to me like Food In East the chinese restaurant in the plaza with Mac's. Kind of odd though that it was around 4am I remember them closing earlier than that.

That's the one

Manhattan
10-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Food in the East by the Macs indeed. The whole street next to it is blocked off for investigations.

Lonely_Driver
10-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Crazy stuff. I wonder if anyone that worked inside the restaurant was injured.

quincyb11
10-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Does anybody know the name of the restaurant?

Manhattan
10-26-2008, 12:01 PM
The name of the restaurant has already been mentioned THREE times in this thread.

I believe the police reconstruction of the crime went a little something like this...:rofl:

Dg6BwRTYINU

Kloubek
10-26-2008, 12:12 PM
^^^^ I think a few more people died in that than 2. :)

Eleanor
10-26-2008, 12:14 PM
^ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Grogador
10-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
Dg6BwRTYINU

:guns: :nut: :guns: :nut: :guns:

CivicDXR
10-26-2008, 05:27 PM
my 2 young cousins were there last night and were held at the police station for questioning until around 10 this morning... they are by no means involved, they happened to be sitting at the next table when it happened... they were on their way out after paying... the two people that died were sitting right behind my cousin, he had his back to them about 2 feet away when it happened... my other cousin was not near them, she was at the till paying... pretty scary stuff being that close... that'll teach them to not go to places like that after coming from the club...

EK 2.0
10-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR

that'll teach them to not go to places like that after coming from the club...

Rich, I can understand how you feel...but you and I cannot forget the many close calls we have had at the Cherry...

Unfortunately this is something that will cycle and continue...just sucks our younger siblings and family have to go through it...We do try very hard as the kuya's and ate's to protect them...

CivicDXR
10-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Rich, I can understand how you feel...but you and I cannot forget the many close calls we have had at the Cherry...

Unfortunately this is something that will cycle and continue...just sucks our younger siblings and family have to go through it...We do try very hard as the kuya's and ate's to protect them...

so true, I was there at cherry when the shot rang out on the upper level...

Kona9
10-26-2008, 05:54 PM
my 2 young cousins were there last night and were held at the police station for questioning until around 10 this morning... they are by no means involved, they happened to be sitting at the next table when it happened... they were on their way out after paying... the two people that died were sitting right behind my cousin, he had his back to them about 2 feet away when it happened... my other cousin was not near them, she was at the till paying... pretty scary stuff being that close... that'll teach them to not go to places like that after coming from the club...

Sorry to hear of these stresses on your family. :thumbsdow

signature7
10-27-2008, 12:58 AM
I was there last night , left at about 2am though. I remember a group of 4 behind my table, and a group of 2 in front of me. Waitress was reading a school textbook that was titled Cognition and had her mac out studying. I've never been in a close call situation, but this definitely sends a few chills.

SilverRex
10-27-2008, 08:18 AM
this is getting out of hand, I know people are saying calgary isnt a small city anymore and should accept these crime will always be on the rise just like other populated towns, but come on, wheres the bill to get 400 more police officers passed.

Shit, I dont know if I should be worrying about this or the financial markets. just no where to hide :dunno:

7thgenvic
10-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Anymore updates! Kind of happy to be so far away from the situation in Calgary now.

Xtrema
10-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex
Shit, I dont know if I should be worrying about this or the financial markets. just no where to hide :dunno:

As the market goes south, crime will get worse.

ercchry
10-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

As the market goes south, crime will get worse.

because gangsters have lost all their investments? :nut:

Xtrema
10-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

because gangsters have lost all their investments? :nut:

Crime is easy money for the jobless.

ercchry
10-27-2008, 09:08 AM

Crime is easy money for the jobless.

true, but i highly doubt that this shooting was related to the markets, still easy enough to get a job in this town

Kloubek
10-27-2008, 09:32 AM
That's nuts CivicDXR. In situations like this, it's bad enough they had to experience what they did. Let alone being potentially caught by stray bullets.

This is getting out of hand. I'm seriously looking forward to moving out of the NE; that strip mall is only a few blocks away from me.

my 2 young cousins were there last night and were held at the police station for questioning until around 10 this morning...

msommers
10-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Read in the paper this morning that police are strongly suggesting this was a targeted, gang-related shooting and not a random act of violence. I suppose that's good in a way but still, more and more innocent citizens are going to be victims to gang's "accidents"

Stunt66
10-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex
but come on, wheres the bill to get 400 more police officers passed.

Getting more cops won't do shit. Even when they do catch these so called gangsters they just get released anyways.

GQBalla
10-27-2008, 10:12 AM
food in east is so ghetto the food isn't good..

Xtrema
10-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
food in east is so ghetto the food isn't good..

Don't think that's the point. Being open @ 4am is.

milesmcewing
10-27-2008, 10:37 AM
That restaurant location already has a bad history.

This is a best as I remember it, I am sure someone will correct the details for me.

Back about 15-18 years ago, I lived across the park from it.

A contract killer came from Afghanistan, came and killed the original owner, (I think it was a pizza place then), and a couple that he was hiding from her family.

I guess she did not want the arranged marriage and came to Canada with her new husband to escape, and were living with the owner.

After killing the three of them, he put the AK-47 on the parking lot and waited for the police to show up.

We had barely made it back home from the Mac's next door, when the shots rang out.

GQBalla
10-27-2008, 10:47 AM

Don't think that's the point. Being open @ 4am is.

last time i was there a few months ago i thought it closed at 2 am or 3 am..

but than again they coulda just chilled there and drank like my friends and i usually do.

max_boost
10-27-2008, 10:56 AM

:eek:

That's fucking scary. I'm glad they are alright.

It appears that the people involved were targeted but still man, to be there and actually witness that shit go down. :nut: :(

Moe Man
10-27-2008, 11:12 AM
let them kill eachother, they are dieing faster than they are born, every few years this has to happen to get rid of the old blood.

Canmorite
10-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Moe Man
let them kill eachother, they are dieing faster than they are born, every few years this has to happen to get rid of the old blood.

It's the innoncent people in the way that bothers me.

malcolmk14
10-27-2008, 12:00 PM
It's a little unnerving since I do occasionally go out to eat at 3 AM. It's not going to stop me from going to U & Me and other late-night gems though.

urban.one
10-27-2008, 12:01 PM
the food will kill ya at U&me.

Originally posted by malcolmk14
It's a little unnerving since I do occasionally go out to eat at 3 AM. It's not going to stop me from going to U & Me and other late-night gems though.

nonlinear
10-27-2008, 03:01 PM
it seems like you all know where this happened, so does anyone care to share where?

adam c
10-27-2008, 03:06 PM
at the chinese place beside the macs

gen2teggy
10-27-2008, 03:12 PM
behind Marlborough mall beside the pizza joint and macs

adam c
10-27-2008, 03:16 PM
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=51.059746,-113.974405&spn=0.001962,0.004828&t=h&z=18

CivicDXR
10-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
That's nuts CivicDXR. In situations like this, it's bad enough they had to experience what they did. Let alone being potentially caught by stray bullets.

This is getting out of hand. I'm seriously looking forward to moving out of the NE; that strip mall is only a few blocks away from me.

Yeah, thats what frustrates me, innocent bystanders being at risk. If the person that was shot somehow managed to dodge the bullets or the shooter missed, those bullets would've been in my younger cousins back. :thumbsdow

Not to mention at this point, they are still pretty shaken up.

nonlinear
10-27-2008, 03:22 PM
what is the name of the place?

Eleanor
10-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
what is the name of the place?
READ THE DAMN THREAD!!!!!! :banghead:

Originally posted by Lonely_Driver
Food In East

Originally posted by Manhattan
Food in the East

Originally posted by GQBalla
food in east

Kloubek
10-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the map Adam. For some reason I mis-read, and thought this was in the plaza with the TD and Vietnamese rest. on Memorial.

Should have paid more attention in school, and learned how to read properly. :)

Xtrema
10-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

READ THE DAMN THREAD!!!!!! :banghead:

Took me a 2nd read to get Food In East is a name. Thought it was typical NE bashing. :D

Supa Dexta
10-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by 6793026>

my friend's gf opens up a viet fast food joint. vietnamese joints aer always shady. just last night, 2 masked guys can in, starts shooting. my friend saw the gun, ran right into the bathroom, the mom saw the gun, was motionless and stoned and just stoood there. the dad ducked down the counter.
all the customers (at 2AM) soem ducked, some ran towards the bathroom.

turns out two guys was targetting this chick.

signature7
10-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Originally Posted by 6793026>

my friend's gf opens up a viet fast food joint. vietnamese joints aer always shady. just last night, 2 masked guys can in, starts shooting. my friend saw the gun, ran right into the bathroom, the mom saw the gun, was motionless and stoned and just stoood there. the dad ducked down the counter.
all the customers (at 2AM) soem ducked, some ran towards the bathroom.

turns out two guys was targetting this chick.

kinda confused, I thought Food and East was a Chinese place. They prepare decent Peking Duck for Viets.

dj_honda
10-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by milesmcewing
That restaurant location already has a bad history.

This is a best as I remember it, I am sure someone will correct the details for me.

Back about 15-18 years ago, I lived across the park from it.

A contract killer came from Afghanistan, came and killed the original owner, (I think it was a pizza place then), and a couple that he was hiding from her family.

I guess she did not want the arranged marriage and came to Canada with her new husband to escape, and were living with the owner.

After killing the three of them, he put the AK-47 on the parking lot and waited for the police to show up.

We had barely made it back home from the Mac's next door, when the shots rang out.

he was from india. the place was a movie store. the couple was living in the owners basement and i think working there iirc, and he was killed trying to stop the killer from shooting the woman. i think he was actually shot in the back. the owner was a friend of my parents way back when. the killer was denied parole a few years back.

the first cop on the scene fainted from seeing how gruesome it was.

Supa Dexta
10-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by signature7

kinda confused, I thought Food and East was a Chinese place. They prepare decent Peking Duck for Viets.

I don't even know if its the same thing. It was from another board, and both involved a restaurant shooting, how many has there been in calgary the last couple days?

ZEDGE
10-27-2008, 06:38 PM
There was also a shooting at the old Internet cafe that used to be in that plaza a couple years ago.

I'm only a few blocks away.. :eek:

TACO.VIDAL
10-28-2008, 06:58 AM
nobody is ever a gangster or bad kid. either way rip.

\

Tue, October 28, 2008
Gunman called coward
UPDATED: 2008-10-28 03:00:48 MST

Family and friends say victims weren't involved in gang life

By DAVE DORMER AND TARINA WHITE, SUN MEDIA

Nursing student Tina Kong and a friend were gunned down in a northeast Calgary restaurant early Sunday.

The boyfriend of a woman murdered in a northeast restaurant early Sunday morning said whoever pulled the trigger is a coward for snuffing out the life of a woman with such potential.

Brent Davies, 29, said he is still trying to come to grips with the slaying of Tina Kong, 20, who was shot to death early Sunday morning along with friend Kevin Ses in a northeast restaurant.

"I'd say they are cowards," said Davies, sitting in the Taradale home Kong lived in with her grandparents.

"I'm just trying to make sense of it.

"When I found out, I didn't believe it, then I was looking on the Internet and read about (the shooting)."

Kong, Ses and three other men were sitting in Food in East Restaurant about 3:50 a.m. on Sunday when one or more gunmen walked to their table and opened fire.

Kong and Ses were pronounced dead at the scene, while one of the men was taken to hospital in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the torso and the other with a minor gunshot wound to the neck.

Both are expected to survive.

The fifth man wasn't hit and escaped injury.

Chantal Halonen said Ses, whom she dated for four years before they parted amicably a week ago, wasn't a gang member, although he knew people involved in that scene.

"He's innocent -- I just want him to be remembered as a great guy," she said of Ses, who worked for UPS.

Halonen's friends who were at the restaurant when the pair were killed told her the gunplay erupted without warning.

"Everything just happened fast, they didn't really see anything," she said.

"There was no argument or anything."

Kong was finishing her second year in the licensed practical nurse program at Bow Valley College, said Davies, adding that Kong wanted to help people after surviving two aneurysms.

"She was 15 when she had the first one then she had a second surgery last year," he said.

"The nurses were so good to her while she was (in hospital), that's why she wanted to (go into nursing)."

Kong worked at the Peter Lougheed hospital doing practical work for school, but she had bigger dreams, said her uncle, Koy Sao, 34.

"She told me she wanted to be a surgeon," he said.

Police have said the killings had all the makings of a gang shooting, but Sao said Kong was not caught up in that kind of lifestyle.

Kong was out that night to celebrate a friend's birthday at a club downtown, said Sao, then went to the restaurant to get food.

"I'm thinking she might have been in the wrong place at the wrong time," he said.

As for the killers, Sao said he wants them caught and brought to justice.

"Turn yourself in, you should be ashamed shooting a girl," he said.

"It's a new low, to shoot a girl."

Xtrema
10-28-2008, 08:41 AM
^ really, mistaken identity?

Eleanor
10-28-2008, 08:56 AM
^ really, mistaken identity?
<Insert Asian stereotype joke here>

Seriously though, if this ends up being a case of mistaken identity, then RIP to the victims.

HiTempguy1
10-28-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm thinking she might have been in the wrong place at the wrong time," he said.

You would think that there would be no thinking on whether it was wrong place, wrong time coming from the boyfriend. It either was or it wasn't!

flipstah
10-28-2008, 11:44 PM
According to CTV, the deceased didn't have any gang connections so it could've been mistaken identity?

RIP and condolences to the families. I always go to the Filipino restaurant beside it and ate there once so this is hitting close to home.

The NE is getting worse by the minute. We're becoming Calgary's Compton.

Manhattan
10-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Not everybody who gets shot were targeted because they're in a gang... it could've been anything... domestic dispute, argument at the club earlier, Oilers fans, etc.

Xtrema
10-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Kevin Ses earned the bullet, he's not innocent.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Alberta/2008/10/29/7236896-sun.html

Tina is collateral damage.

adam c
10-29-2008, 08:11 AM
a viet place open at 2am? where's this, pho after a late night would be awesome

Xtrema
10-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by adam c

Someone got shot this morning too. I don't think being on the street pass 1am is a good idea for the next little while.

adam c
10-29-2008, 08:13 AM

Someone got shot this morning too. I don't think being on the street pass 1am is a good idea for the next little while.

it's ok i'm white;)

Xtrema
10-29-2008, 08:15 AM

it's ok i'm white;)

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=7ded88d1-7336-4208-a5ca-6259a6fd03e1

No detail yet, but the dude sounds white.

Machi
10-29-2008, 08:35 AM

it's not pho.. it's chinese ;)